The right bullet

Gills

Ok guys I know I am opening a can of worms. But I have a 28 nosler getting it ready for my mountain gun primarily will be used for elk. I can't decide on the bullet to load for it. I know o don't want the 195 Berger's. Am looking more into the high 160 gr bullet up to about 175. What are you guys liking and why? This should get interesting

The 168 grain Berger HVLD is a Popular 7 MM Bullet for,.. a REASON !
They Shoot, SUB 1/2 MOA for, my son and, you'll find, LOTS of, quick Kills on, YouTube.
Watch some of, Barbour Creek's Vid's,. testing, in Gelatin with, Bone / Hide.
Should be, Flat and Fast in, a 28 Nosler and good to 1,000+ yards,.. IF, you can,.. "Dope" the Wind !
Caution,.. shoot for, the "Boiler Room", ONLY or, you will lose, a lot of good Meat at, the "closer" Ranges.

to what ranges are you practicing to, are you a cool calm predator type or are you a excitable type that's like oh man there's a elk......I have to do this now!!
Little bit of both depends on situation generally more cool headed

I've used the 160 nosler accubond, 168 berger vld and the 180 berger vld. They all worked well. My experience with them is that the berger bullets put the elk down fast. Basically boom flop. The nosler bullet did it's job and the follow up shot was most likely not needed but I never have shot an elk with the nosler that I didn't end up using at least one follow up shot. Probably not necessary but they were still standing. Now one bullet that I have used but not in a 28 caliber is the hammer 181 in a 30 caliber and I am fast becoming a big fan of hammer bullets. Very easy to find a load that shot well and works really well on game. I am having a 7mm wsm built and my plan is to use the hammer bullet just haven't decided on which one. But I have no doubt that Steve at hammer bullets will help get me on the right track. Good luck with your decision and hunts. Be safe and have fun.

I've used the 160 nosler accubond, 168 berger vld and the 180 berger vld. They all worked well. My experience with them is that the berger bullets put the elk down fast. Basically boom flop. The nosler bullet did it's job and the follow up shot was most likely not needed but I never have shot an elk with the nosler that I didn't end up using at least one follow up shot. Probably not necessary but they were still standing. Now one bullet that I have used but not in a 28 caliber is the hammer 181 in a 30 caliber and I am fast becoming a big fan of hammer bullets. Very easy to find a load that shot well and works really well on game. I am having a 7mm wsm built and my plan is to use the hammer bullet just haven't decided on which one. But I have no doubt that Steve at hammer bullets will help get me on the right track. Good luck with your decision and hunts. Be safe and have fun.
I have been leaning towards the hammer bullets. But a bit hesitant to because I have no experience with monolithic bullets but feel I would be better off if I hit heavy bone. I haven't used Berger but have used the eld-x. I feel they are very similar. Although I have only used that bullet in lighter weights I have liked the results but hesitant as to what it would do with high speeds and a messed up shot. I don't plan on a bad shot but let's face once in a while they happen. Not sure if I want the super heavy for caliper bullets but it seems in the Berger or eld-x that's what you need for the comfort of it's going to do it's job. Maybe I am just looking to deep at it, lol

I have been leaning towards the hammer bullets. But a bit hesitant to because I have no experience with monolithic bullets but feel I would be better off if I hit heavy bone. I haven't used Berger but have used the eld-x. I feel they are very similar. Although I have only used that bullet in lighter weights I have liked the results but hesitant as to what it would do with high speeds and a messed up shot. I don't plan on a bad shot but let's face once in a while they happen. Not sure if I want the super heavy for caliper bullets but it seems in the Berger or eld-x that's what you need for the comfort of it's going to do it's job. Maybe I am just looking to deep at it, lol
Your right, Your looking too hard at it, The mono will be way more forgiving than a cup and core bullet in the event of a bad shot

I will do what I have to do to get mi game go wherever . I improvise to what I have to shoot pack t post tree rock whatever I don't use a bipod. But always seem to get very solid. I use a leupold rangefinder currently but use the StrelokPro ap when needed. Deer at 500-550 and a coyote at 650ish. I find most of my need to be inside of 500 yards but want to be ready for any possibility. I think it is one in eight twist but I need to check

Leupold 3-15 44 mm objective have not mounted it yet still deciding how I want to do that as well