The Rifle You’ll Never Touch

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D1FF8CC7-A597-4953-BC88-A33E70C87FA7.jpeg
My 375H&H, Whitworth Express Rifle. Still wears the original 4xLeupold scope and is superbly accurate. It has one of the prettiest oil finished walnut stocks I have yet to see on a rifle. My first "Long Range" shot at 300 yards......more then three decades ago.

I inherited my grandpas gamemaster Rem 760 30-06 pump. It shoots horrible and as stated by Elkeater, kicks like hell. It's also the ugliest gun I've ever seen.

Grandpa was very very cheap. A pawn shop burnt down in the early 60's and he bought this gun at the auction when they sold items that had been recovered. Half the coating peeled off and was water damaged from putting the fire out. The leupold 3-9 on it is hazy as it was also in the fire and the steel changed colors because it got so hot.

I'll never sell it or make any changes to it. I do l, however, really want to kill something with it!

My grandfathers savage 99 in 308. A 60's model with brass tumbler mag. Steel butt plate. Jumps and recoil is better with a jacket lol but shoots decent. I would shoot it comfortably to 300. It's probably shot as many deer as any gun in Canada. It was his only center fire rifle that he bought as a young man and hunted for decades with it. I hunted with it until I was 20 or so and it came out of retirement last year as a buddy used it to kill his moose. 180 corelokts still get the job done.

When my buddy shot the gun checking the zero, he has a long neck and puts his head close to the scope. Grandpa John bit him. Haha. Split his brow open. So we had to move the scope ahead.

That gun won't be changed or sold, but will get used when the occasion rises!

Mine is a pre '64 Winchester 94 30-30 that my Grandfather got me for Christmas about 20 years ago. I never shoot it or hunt with it, but it has a special place and will never be sold or altered. Not much to alter on it anyways.

I do not have a picture at the moment, but mine would be my grandpa's 257 Weatherby Mark V. He loved everything about Roy W and considered everything he did to be the gold standard of the shooting world. Grandpa spent hour upon hours at the range and at the reloading bench to make that the best rifle he could. That rifle traveled to Canada, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Africa with him, he was very proud of it. I can still remember being really young having him show me how he could get a dollar bill between the barrel and stock to prove it was free floated. I took it to Wyoming last year and shot a prairie dog with it at about 80 yards with loads he developed. What we could find left of it was pretty impressive.

My Dads. 308 Winchester on a Model 88. He bought it new in 59, I was born in 60. He hand whittled the stock out of a chunk of Walnut with a hunting knife, took him the whole winter of 60. It was the first center fire rifle I ever shot, and she scope bit me pretty hard, but I fell in love with shooting rite there. The scope is a Bushnell Scope Chief 4×, with a Command Post that I just discovered today! He bedded the stock the entire length, as I guess that was the flavor of the day, but in spite of that, it shoots pretty good. I remember him hitting rabbits , on the run, way the heck and gone over there. Fed us for many a lean winter with it, too. This 88, his, is my 5th one, and it will never be changed. Hope fully one of his grand daughters will feel the same about it, someday.
20180113_181144.jpg
Crap, I hit the dang button too many times !!! Sorry.
Gregg
There, I fixed it.

Last edited:
My Dad's Remington 514 single shot .22. In the mid 60's, he was finishing the interior of our cabin in Northern Minnesota. The rifle was lying in the stud wall and somehow he installed the paneling without noticing it. He thought it had been stolen. Fast forward
to 1988; My brother was remodeling the cabin and guess what he found in the wall in pristine shape!!

I have a cz 527 223 that I bought years ago. Thousands of rounds through it, deer, coyotes,turkeys, all sorts of vermin and varmits had ben put too sleep with it. Just as accurate today as the day I bought it!

Ruger 77 in .243 my dad got me new when I was 13 years old, I'm now 56 yrs old. I killed a lot of Wy. elk and deer with this little caliber, a few massively big bulls in the Greys river and a few close to record book class mule deer in the Salt River range. That's right .243 on elk, loved to hunt the dark timber and get right in there living room. I have dozens of rifles and a half dozer customs; none have or ever will match the number of kills of my little .243. I carried that rifle from age 13 to well into my 30s when I got bitten by the fire arms bug, started buying and having built several guns none have the field experience of my seasoned .243. Thanks Dad

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.