The PRC die "problem"

Can't say my calipers are the very best but bullets measure what they should (264 6.5mm, .284 7mm, etc) but it runs without issue. PVA cut the barrel in 2018. Bought the die in fall of 2018.

I still get clickers on 6.5 max above 3140 from a 26" bartlein with N570. I know the whidden max dies sized noticeably more than my Hornady dies unfortunately. Not a big fan of Hornady sizing dies. The whidden were 7max and sold with another rifle. So Horandy is all I got to play with. For the price for custom Hornady dies, they sure should come with a micrometer top. Just saying.
I was referring to my 30 SM dies compared to the parent (300 PRC) but I didn't know anyone was having any issues with the Max. thx for the info!

I just measured some my fired cases, they're 5335, sized is 5322, my chamber is hogged out with a Wheeler style reamer. Brand new brass is 5293 on my gauges. This brass was run pretty hard for 3 - 4 firings and a sloppy Horandy die so I'm sure the Webb stretched a bit there. My bullet central micron die sizes to 5322, rcbs matchmaster is 5326. I believe the Wheeler style die opens the 200 line dimension to 535? Could be a lil larger. I have not looked at a reamer print with his specific body specs.

I was referring to my 30 SM dies compared to the parent (300 PRC) but I didn't know anyone was having any issues with the Max. thx for the info!
Don't want to detour this thread but I get clickers with my Terminus action with the 6.5 max when running loads in the mid 3100s. Loose primer pockets too but those may have been from load development when the velocity was higher than that. I changed to H1000 and dropped the velocity down to the mid 2900s. Very accurate.

Just finished reaming three of my 6.5 PRC barrels and one 300 PRC. Testing 4x brass soon.

Last edited:
Don't want to detour this thread but I get clickers with my Terminus action with the 6.5 max when running loads in the mid 3100s. Loose primer pockets too but those may have been from load development when the velocity was higher than that. I changed to H1000 and dropped the velocity down to the mid 2900s. Very accurate.

Just finished reaming three of my 6.5 PRC barrels and one 300 PRC. Testing 4x brass soon.
Ladd, I tried to send you a pm pertaining to the 6.5max issues we're both experiencing, but cannot pm you for some reason.

Proof research and x caliber carbon.
So far anyone running 5315 has an issue. I'm several pages and forums and all the data is the same. Never heard anyone getting away with 533
533 in a saami chamber is BIG for sure! This is the reason I'm having a saum barrel spun up. Didn't have the web size/click issues with my last one, never should have sold it. Even the highly anticipated bullet central "small base" FL die is only sizing to 5322. Fired is 5338.

533 in a saami chamber is BIG for sure! This is the reason I'm having a saum barrel spun up. Didn't have the web size/click issues with my last one, never should have sold it. Even the highly anticipated bullet central "small base" FL die is only sizing to 5322. Fired is 5338.
Yep. If the whidden die didn't solve the issue I was thinking I'd just rechamber. Since the die does exactly what I need I am good but what about all the others dealing with the BS? A reamer? Really? OK, I'll bite. Got that too. It's like you get so deep you just have to stick with it...... On a positive note, the PRC has been unreal to load for. Literally everything I throw at it shoots well. Thought it was a fluke with my proof but my x caliber is the same and several friends with different brands are having equal success. It seems like you have to actually work hard to screw it up. I wish I kept the saum but who could really know this sh!t was going to be an issue. We can arm chair quarter back anything after the fact I guess. Kind of ****ed about it but also kind of thankful for the experience and being to help others out. 1. If they have a PRC I can offer solutions. 2 if they want one I can say no, go get a sherman or a saum. ha ha

For any cartridge to work you have to have the chamber, brass, and dies designed correctly together. Your going to have issues with just about any chambering out there as its so hard to find good dies. In most cases, the less expensive, less frustrating path is to get a rifle built and get custom dies by someone that has worked out the bugs. The customer should not be the one doing the testing for you. Next to the 300 norma improved the 300 PRC is my favorite big .30. I really am enjoying mine, so dont pass up trying a PRC.

From the very beginning of my 300 Norma improved I would only build them on Bat HR actions due to lug set back issues with other actions. Now Borden offers a suitable action, but those are the only 2 options that I will use. There are other good actions out there that are suitable for standard magnum bolt faces and the 300 PRC is a great option for those. I am within 150 fps of my norma improved with 10 grains less powder.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a GA Precision rifle with their reamer specs that is having this issue? Honestly I have seen anyone.

The reason I ask is there is a place called 4drentals that has most reamers there for anyone to rent for a small price and they have the Hornady spec .188" and GA Precision spec which has a freebore of .130". I just talked to Clayton from WTO and asked him what he was doing th most now and he pretty well uses the AW2 exclusively now. If I didn't have so many loads worked up and components being scarce I would do the AW2 with the saami.188. It's either get a custom one, rent one from 4drentals or ask some kind member to borrow their AW2. So many decisions lol!

AW2. This might help explain the difference. At the 200 line the aw2 is 535 vs saami at 533. This is what I see as the issue with a die that doesn't undersize the heavy brass as it should. A 5315- 5320 will work in a 535 chamber but not so much in a 533. If I didn't have the custom die to size down to 5295-530 for the 533 chamber then the reamer would fix that. 5315 in a 535 chamber is good to go. In this case both method end up at .0035 clearance.

6.5 PRC AW.jpg

AW2. This might help explain the difference. At the 200 line the aw2 is 535 vs saami at 533. This is what I see as the issue with a die that doesn't undersize the heavy brass as it should. A 5315- 5320 will work in a 535 chamber but not so much in a 533. If I didn't have the custom die to size down to 5295-530 for the 533 chamber then the reamer would fix that. 5315 in a 535 chamber is good to go. In this case both method end up at .0035 clearance.

View attachment 288039
You still want your die at .530 with my chamber if your running hard. A .5315-.532 die is not what I designed my chamber to work with, you will get clickers. You'll still get a click in the .533 chamber. The only other thing I changed on this one is freebore diameter which did not need to be changed on the 300. Also, there is spring back and resistance to sizing involved, so just because the die is .xxx smaller than the chamber does not mean thats how much clearance there will be. Different brass will be effected differently. Its a very simple thing, but it does take a little trial and error to get it right, the problems come form skipping the trial and error part.

Last edited:
You still want your die at .530 with my chamber if your running hard. A .5315-.532 die is not what I designed my chamber to work with, you will get clickers. You'll still get a click in the .533 chamber. The only other thing I changed on this one is freebore diameter which did not need to be changed on the 300.
I don't believe the dies are designed to run 5315-532 intentionally. They are just not designed to address the adg type brass with a thick web and reduce that area or they are not sizing down the case far enough. If you shave a shell holder you can get a bit more but then run the risk of too much set back. I think the flaw out there is the understanding that the general die is not undersizing enough with multiple fired brass. Were dies based off the saami spec and they assumed this was going to work or did they test hornady brass in their dies and determined it worked? My redding comp dies and hornady die will only get me to 5315 on 4-5x. It's just not enough on that 533 chamber. If that 5315 is not enough for the 535 chamber then this problem isn't going away with just a reamer, it will require a custom die too. So at this point running 530 in a 533 I'm not seeing any issues with current level of reloading. Are you suggesting if I open the chamber with the aw2 I can run more charge? I am not unhappy with my rifles performance, just wondering if that is what you meant?