The PRC die "problem"

Why does anyone have to rehash their specifics because someone is skeptical. It's a real issue with both PRC's. And yes, I speak from personal experience. If you don't have the problem, you lucked out and your chamber was cut with the correct spec reamer. This thread isn't a bunch of guys stirring the pot. We're trying to solve the problem.

This is why my post count is low....you can't say anything without someone getting their panties in a bunch.
There a bunch of rifles out there with fat chambers that will never have any issues. Most of the time sloppy work is not a good thing. In this case it may not be the worst thing to happen. Like I said, if your not having issues than this in not something you need to worry about. Don't get your panties in a bunch ;) just kidding! Its only a fix for those that need it, you seem to be good to go.

I have the issue with one of my 26nos and with a 338edge. Even with powderpuff loads I would get the click on extraction. And the 3 lug fierce action doesn't seem to have very strong extraction to start with. Ended up puling the barrels and buffing the first .15" of the chamber which seamed to help.
I had 2 - 26's originally, one a nosler patriot. That thing was sloppy loose, and never had any issues. After a couple firings the brass would have a 5thou step in it where the case wall shrunk down to meets the web.

Wonder what the spec of the lapua PRC brass will be inrelation to the rifles you have chambered?

So I talked to my smith yesterday and I may have him build me a sb die and or talk with Ben at Hornady......sounds like Ben is a stellar person to get exactly what is needed. My smith has had great experiences with Ben also as others has stated here.
Thank you Alex for this thread!! Out of the 2 others I'm following this one has both those others wrapped up into one.

You will never convince a die maker to go smaller than a virgin case head on a sizing die, so that leaves us with .003" sizing on this case at the base, not going to work. What you have made is similar to what BR shooters call a ring die. There used to be one on the market with interchangeable rings so you could size the base differently. A very cool idea. If your process is working then no need to change. I do think that for most thats not going to be enough becaause if the case head grows a little which they do on top end loads your never going to get it to size enough. Picture the solid web expanding, it pulls the brass above it outward with it which is why it gets harder and harder to size that brass, and its why you cant fix brass once it gets to that point usually.
To fix an existing chamber all a smith has to do is polish out .002" in the back of the chamber in the lathe. Quick and accurate.
Hello Alex,

I have a Seekins PH2 6.5 PRC, purchase last summer. I have fired approx. 35 Factory Hornady to get rifle set up, rough zero, ect. Bought 200 pieces of ADG and started load development. This is a long story so to keep it as short as possible. I have fired right at 150 rds of the ADG. I started resizing last night of the "once fired" ADG, 98% so far will not go into my case gauge. (Same problem as OP I believe). Also sized one of the Factory once fired, and same thing. The Hornady brass shows a very noticeable bulge right above the web, (not concentric). ADG at max loads does too but substantially less.
I think the Seekins chamber is sloppy from the looks of it. (Raised my Dad's Eyebrows) I am considering shipping the rifle back to them, however their Customer Service sucks so far... Sounds like I need to talk to you regarding your above solution.

Thank you!

Sounds like you need a set of these https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012743827
to make sure your bumping the shoulder back enough.
Alex,

I have a case gauge. (Lyman) all I could find last summer. The sized cases will not go in all the way because the web area is not sized down enough. Shoulder seems fine. Case goes in with approx .280 sticking up from top of case gauge to base of case, I eyeballed it @ .25 last night. just put the calipers on it. I can send pictures later if this will help.

Thank you,

PH

At the .200" base measurement on my fired case they are .5335", my forester sized case is .5320", saami is .5320" and virgin Gunwerks brass is .529". What do you all take .0045" off and run with a custom die? Take .0045" off of my fired case right?

Should I ask the gunsmith or Ben to do .005" or .0055" at the base for a custom die? I'd say there would be a .001" spring back so I'm not sure how far to go with this, with .0045" I would be at .530.......idk, with .005" I'd be at a .0005 over virgin brass, I think that would be best, what do you all think?

At the .200" base measurement on my fired case they are .5335", my forester sized case is .5320", saami is .5320" and virgin Gunwerks brass is .529". What do you all take .0045" off and run with a custom die? Take .0045" off of my fired case right?

Should I ask the gunsmith or Ben to do .005" or .0055" at the base for a custom die? I'd say there would be a .001" spring back so I'm not sure how far to go with this, with .0045" I would be at .530.......idk, with .005" I'd be at a .0005 over virgin brass, I think that would be best, what do you all think?
.0045"-.005" is what I like