The PRC die "problem"

Bullet central micron dies are now available in several calibers. 6.5 prc being one of them. Alex's 35° norma is listed as well. Supposedly these dies are to be set up for sizing the web a lot more. I would have gotten a set but they sold out in one day.

The 7 saum dies struggle a little. The problem with dies is they warp in the hardening process so you may get one that works and you may get one that doesnt. The Micron dies are nice because they are nitrided, so almost no warp to deal with. Hornandy makes good custom dies too, I have had them make me a bunch of them and so long as you give them good specs they work well. Thats the key, you need to figure out the right specs first. Do not rely on the die makers to spec them. I spec'd out a 7 saum die for a customer and they just shipped him a batch. After he runs them a little bit I told him he should order a bunch and sell them. Theres a huge market out there for dies that actually work. My business plan usually goes like this, spend a couple grand on re size reamers and make a bunch of dies until I figure it out, then give it away for free :rolleyes: I would bet Bullet Central will make 7 saum dies too if enough guys ask.

Last edited:
I am in process of getting ready to order either a 300 PRC - OR - a 30SM barrel ... Forgive me for a few stupid questions here as I am trying wrap my mind around this ...

1. What are 'clickers'?
2. @elkaholic - Does the 30SM have risk of this same issue or does the 30SM reamer already add a couple thou at the base to reduce/eliminate this issue?
3. Is this the sort of thing belts on 'traditional' magnum cases was intended to eliminate?

Thanks in advance ...
Tim
My SM is slightly larger at . 200" than a prc and so far I havent heard of a single problem

The 7 saum dies struggle a little. The problem with dies is they warp in the hardening process so you may get one that works and you may get one that doesnt. The Micron dies are nice because they are nitrided, so almost no warp to deal with. Hornandy makes good custom dies too, I have had them make me a bunch of them and so long as you give them good specs they work well. Thats the key, you need to figure out the right specs first. Do not rely on the die makers to spec them. I spec'd out a 7 saum die for a customer and they just shipped him a batch. After he runs them a little bit I told him he should order a bunch and sell them. Theres a huge market out there for dies that actually work. My business plan usually goes like this, spend a couple grand on re size reamers and make a bunch of dies until I figure it out, then give it away for free :rolleyes: I would bet Bullet Central will make 7 saum dies too if enough guys ask.
As you stated, tell the die maker what you want and get one that will work with you.
Ive learned that on a magnum case, you need about . 0045" under chamber by the time you get past multiple firings and spring. back.

I've been reading about the 6.5PRC sizing die issues for a while now. I held off on building one just for that reason.
I haven't been following the problem since I shelved the idea of building one.

As you stated, tell the die maker what you want and get one that will work with you.
Ive learned that on a magnum case, you need about . 0045" under chamber by the time you get past multiple firings and spring. back.
.0045 is spot on for a magnum case head.

8 firings on mine at 3000' with a 245

I think my decision between PRC and SM may have just been made ...

Worst case scenario is firing actual 300 PRC ammo in the SM ... the SM will allow me to 'download' to lower pressure and get same velocity as the PRC ... but with better brass life and have the tank available for higher if ever needed.

Let me know if I am wrong @elkaholic ...