The PRC die "problem"

Lots of guys seem to be getting good results opening up the chambers with their factory dies if they are in spec. My preference is Hornady custom shop dies.
There was a thread before he got into a little more detail and said both were the answer. You can find it if you like. Clearly spells out dies can be a problem

There was a thread before he got into a little more detail and said both were the answer. You can find it if you like. Clearly spells out dies can be a problem
The out of spec dies and die makers passing the buck were mentioned in this thread dies in general are not the problem. Any out of spec die will cause problems. The AW2 reamer is designed to work with properly made SAAMI spec dies. I guess it's just the luck of the drawl if you get good factory dies or not.

The out of spec dies and die makers passing the buck were mentioned in this thread dies in general are not the problem. Any out of spec die will cause problems. The AW2 reamer is designed to work with properly made SAAMI spec dies. I guess it's just the luck of the drawl if you get good factory dies or not.
Can you set back an existing chamber with the AW2 reamer ?

I have some 300 PRC Lapua Brass on its 7th firing and so far so good. Redding full length dies. When annealing I've started to resize immediately after annealing say 40 when they are still warm, not hot. Also, using the Redding comp shellholders gives you that little extra when you get up to 5th and 6th reloads.

You don't need to set the barrel back to use these reamers for 6.5 or 300 prc.

You don't need to set the barrel back to use these reamers for 6.5 or 300 prc.
Thank !
I don't have a PRC but 3 friends have both and are newish reloaders under my guidance that won't understand what is going on when they run into this.

If the factory die is on the tight side it will work, but you may have to go through some to find one. Chris Harris of Bullet Central called last week to talk about the PRC issue. We went over specs and their dies will work with my chambers. Id just order those or go custom. Getting a factory die that works with the tougher brass on the market is going to require some luck.

If the factory die is on the tight side it will work, but you may have to go through some to find one. Chris Harris of Bullet Central called last week to talk about the PRC issue. We went over specs and their dies will work with my chambers. Id just order those or go custom. Getting a factory die that works with the tougher brass on the market is going to require some luck.
Alex can you educate me on something. When do you see negative affects on brass with undersizing? It appears we are looking at .530-.5305 on a .535 chamber with a custom die. If we undersized .0045-005 will this create stress in the web? I was under the impression we need to be around .0025-.0035. It would help if we knew what numbers you think we need to target. My whidden is giving me .003 on saami and will go to .005 on aw2.

Alex can you educate me on something. When do you see negative affects on brass with undersizing? It appears we are looking at .530-.5305 on a .535 chamber with a custom die. If we undersized .0045-005 will this create stress in the web? I was under the impression we need to be around .0025-.0035. It would help if we knew what numbers you think we need to target. My whidden is giving me .003 on saami and will go to .005 on aw2.
You wont get that much sizing. The brass does not come out of the die the same size as the die. If it did all of this would be really easy and I wouldnt have to go through the trial and error process. If your reducing the base .003" currently then your fine. Most likely the chamber is already oversized if thats happening.

Recent Posts