The Perfert 338 Lapua Mag Build

I just got a super deal for 338 LM Ammo and cases from a First Sgt in the Army. He along with all our service people a true HEROS in my book.
So the build for our 338LMAI is taking form. We are getting , ammo, brass, bullets and going to get some custom Wyndim dies as soon as the build is done and we fire form some cases (2022). Now the next thing is the reamer and the barrel. The reamer will be matched to Lapua Brass & 300 Hybrid OTM Bergers. What length barrel does the group think is the best for ELR target plinking? I was thinking a 30" with a 1:9 twist button pulled or cut 5R.
Our next dream builds are happining. We put all three cartridges together for comparison 6mm BR, 6.5 X 284 and 338LM WHAT a difference.

All my Elr 338's are 30" barrels . I'm working on a few in the 27" , 26" and a Sweet 23.5 " carbon 338 Rum for something different . If the short one shoots I'm taking it on my Elk hunt with my Oldest daughter this fall in Montana!
I'm going to try the 250 bergers, 285 Eldm's and the 300 gr. bergers !
Should be exciting to do load development!

Rum Man

All my Elr 338's are 30" barrels . I'm working on a few in the 27" , 26" and a Sweet 23.5 " carbon 338 Rum for something different . If the short one shoots I'm taking it on my Elk hunt with my Oldest daughter this fall in Montana!
I'm going to try the 250 bergers, 285 Eldm's and the 300 gr. bergers !
Should be exciting to do load development!

Rum Man
Keep us informed on the 23.5" carbon. I bet that it will light up the sky at dusk when fired.

My Son in law has his eyes on it already ! It's not even.on a action yet !
He told me to put it on a Blued action ! Ha ha he is the Mountain hiker in the family! I'm slowing down with that ! My Heart stuff changed things with that .

Rum Man

My Son in law has his eyes on it already ! It's not even.on a action yet !
He told me to put it on a Blued action ! Ha ha he is the Mountain hiker in the family! I'm slowing down with that ! My Heart stuff changed things with that .

Rum Man
When you finish that short barrel I have a good name for it "The Dragon" it sure will be a fire breather!

The most common one I build is based on the Bat CT or M action. You can go up to 40 moa on an integral pic rail. If you need more you will have yo use a bolt on rail but theres other ways around that too. I use 30-34" barrels at least 1.350 with a taper similar to a heavy varmint. Stocks are A5 or A6 super mags. Most of them are 40 degree improved versions.
20201217_095531.jpg

I am going to watch a friend shoot ELR on Monday & Tuesday at the "Arena" in Blakey, GA. It is just a "Friendly Shoot" not a Competition, but I am sure to see some real nice rigs and will be picking everyone's knowledge. It's on the 2,300 meter range.
I'll post some pictures and thoughts when I get back.
The 2,300 Meter Unknown Distance Range has: 10 upper tower firing lanes, 10 indoor Climate Controlled firing lanes, 20 Elevated covered berm firing lanes, and 68 steel reactionary targets. The UKD is also equipped with remote target camera system for extreme long range targets to include the 1-mile, 1900m, 2100m and 2300m targets.

Len & Jill

I am going to watch a friend shoot ELR on Monday & Tuesday at the "Arena" in Blakey, GA. It is just a "Friendly Shoot" not a Competition, but I am sure to see some real nice rigs and will be picking everyone's knowledge. It's on the 2,300 meter range.
I'll post some pictures and thoughts when I get back.
The 2,300 Meter Unknown Distance Range has: 10 upper tower firing lanes, 10 indoor Climate Controlled firing lanes, 20 Elevated covered berm firing lanes, and 68 steel reactionary targets. The UKD is also equipped with remote target camera system for extreme long range targets to include the 1-mile, 1900m, 2100m and 2300m targets.

Len & Jill
Got back last night from the "Arena". Had a lot of fun trying to get out and touch some distant targets. I was mainly spotting for a friend. Pretty exciting watching the bullet arc and drop into the target. I was able to get some shots in with my friend's 338LM, but unfortunately didn't get to a mile. We had issues with the Kestrel information. Hope to get back out there in the end of summer or Fall. I didn't plan on having our build done until next year. This shoot kind of put a fire under me to get the 338 LMAI build done as soon as possible.

Attachments

• Top of the tower to 2300 meters.jpg
    Top of the tower to 2300 meters.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Tower.jpg
    Tower.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Shooting stations.jpg
    Shooting stations.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Target layout.jpg
    Target layout.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 29
RUM MAN, how far in front of the barrel does the bullet cross through your line of sight in the scope? It has to be measured in inches. 55 moa looks crazy, but good results and shooting.

Because of your 55 MOA bases, your scope is tilted greatly. Meaning if you look at the inline of your bore tot your scope from the side, you bullet is going up through your line of sight for your scope. Most guns "zero" around 20-25 yards where the bullet crosses the line of sight. Looking at the picture of your setup, it looks like that intersection would be very close to your mussel. By no means a criticism, I was just curious how soon after the bullet left the barrel would it cross the line of sight of the scope.

Because of your 55 MOA bases, your scope is tilted greatly. Meaning if you look at the inline of your bore tot your scope from the side, you bullet is going up through your line of sight for your scope. Most guns "zero" around 20-25 yards where the bullet crosses the line of sight. Looking at the picture of your setup, it looks like that intersection would be very close to your mussel. By no means a criticism, I was just curious how soon after the bullet left the barrel would it cross the line of sight of the scope.
I'm actually not sure ! I never thought about it .
I'm zeroed at 100 yards. The 55 moa base and I'm set on the second pin if I remember correctly on the 200 min Valdada base so there is 50 more moa !

It does look look like they would intersect very quickly . Interesting you would think of that !!
Rum Man