The Perfert 338 Lapua Mag Build

This my Rag Tag hunting rifle chambered in 338 REAPER .. she weighs just a touch over 10lbs minus bipod. Runs the 300 berger at 3000FPS the 225 Accubond at a mere 3380fps 27" Bartlein barrel BAT custom action terminator brake, Its since had the NX8 4-32 installed and she's a hammer close and far !!!!View attachment 272535View attachment 272536View attachment 272541
REALLY NICE! You are probaly going to look at this rifle more than looking for game. Who built it?
Thanks for sharing
Len & Jill

Mine

Attachments

• 07C4B294-CDE9-4374-8B1F-B003CEDDB30A.jpeg
    07C4B294-CDE9-4374-8B1F-B003CEDDB30A.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 53
Hey Y'all
For year 2022
I know that we all have been discussing the "Perfect 338 Lapua Mag Build" and I must say that from all the input we are finally deciding on building the "338 Lapua Magnum AI. Jill and I took a lot of the data, researched it, took personal opinions, and personally spoke with hunters and ELR shooters. There was a lot of pros and cons and that will always be. As we said in earlier post it takes us about a year for a build to take place and finish. We have no rush or "Have to Have This" attitude. we have started out with some builds where we said "THIS IS THE ONE" and ended up with something altogether different after doing due diligent. We all of us on this site have seen all too often many times where there is a Beautiful rifle build with only a few rounds down the tube. It's for sale most of the time at a loss to the seller. I always ask "Why are you selling this really beautiful build" answers are: Well, it isn't the caliber i really wanted, It's not the right twist rate, It doesn't work for the type of hunting I want (don't know what that means) and so on. Most of the time they tell you that it is a great rifle and I concur with that. I have seen some of the nicest (I want to own) rifles for sale right after the owner builds or buys them. Well, their loss is someone else's gain. If you are going to build a rifle, please put some thought into it. Buying off the shelf is something different. Contracting with a gun smith or building yourself needs to have a lot of thought process and information to have a build that you will enjoy holding in your hands and is the correct caliber with matching bullets to accomplish a successful hunt or put them in the X ring.

And here i am ranting about building when I really wanted to get information on ELR bullets for the 338LM Ai build tha Jill and I are going to do,
What is everyones thought on the

Berger 338 Caliber 300 Grain Hybrid OTM Tactical Rifle Bullet

This bullet has a G1 of BC 822 and an Hybrid Ogive. Berger has not come out with a "Target Hybrid" for the 338 like the did for other competition calibers, but this looks like a great ELR bullet for targets. Berger has in the works a 338 target Hybrid, but no dellivery date.
Thats what our build is for. Not loooking for this 338 LM Ai for hunting. We already have a .325WSM that shoots <1/2 moa with 200 Accubonds and have 220 Sierra GK that I am sure will do the trick.

Just a thought.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Well I can tell you that I sent plenty out to my longest shot . 3027 yards .
Not a Papua but similar. 338 Edge .
I'm trying to reach my goal of 2 miles ..
I have some pieces and a few complete 300 gr Otm bergers to show you from shooting at my said distance . The pieces hit the target and a few recovered ones that missed . Yes I missed the 36x 36 piece of steel at 3028 yards . Ha ha
This Elr shooting is addicting! Lol

Rum Man

Attachments

• 20200410_114618.jpg
    20200410_114618.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 43
Here's what I have, Desert Tech SRS-A1, 31" Bartlein 5R LH 1:10.35 - 1:9.35 gain twist barrel. Quick change barrel receiver clamps on 5" of 1-1/4" od barrel shank, like a benchrest barrel block. Very repeatable, much more solid, and less vibration than a standard screw in barrel action. Compact 44" OAL w/o supressor, 50" OAL w/supressor. 4" length, 5 round capacity mags allow running 300 grain Bergers with the boat tail at shoulder / neck junction. 6 lug 60 degree bolt throw, and a trigger to die for.
20210424_200734.jpg

.338 Lapua, 300 gr Berger OTM, Lapua brass, 96 gr Vihtavouri N570 @ 2933 fps or 100 gr RL33 @ 2859 fps, Federal GM 215 primers, 3.9375" OAL.
.010" jump to lands. 1/4 moa typical 5 round groups.

Very compact, solid and accurate. With a 60 degree bolt, longer magazines allowing longer cartridge lengths, QC barrel (1 min changes) and the same scope, stock, trigger, bipod / tripod, accessories (one gun, multiple calaibers) All the same fit, functions and muscle memory!

I have a 30" Lilja 223 WSSM, Bartlien 31" 6.5 PRC, Lilja 30" 30-378 Wby., Lothar Walther 26" 30-338 Lapua, and 338 Lapua, and Bartlien 31" 338 Lapua barrels.

Something to think about, I love mine!

Dragoon love your build and your stocked up in all kinds of ways.OP I have 2-338 NM,my son ,I friends have taken in last ten years many game with 300 otm,it walks all over the 325 wsm in a big way,have one of those,its a pee shooter,heh.Shoot lots speed goats because so little wind drift compared to my 257 roy,deer,elk,moose,bear.Its a Hammer.

Well I can tell you that I sent plenty out to my longest shot . 3027 yards .
Not a Papua but similar. 338 Edge .
I'm trying to reach my goal of 2 miles ..
I have some pieces and a few complete 300 gr Otm bergers to show you from shooting at my said distance . The pieces hit the target and a few recovered ones that missed . Yes I missed the 36x 36 piece of steel at 3028 yards . Ha ha
This Elr shooting is addicting! Lol

Rum Man
You devil you - in a good way, thats great. Must have hit that steel plate a few times to find those bullets by it. Have a few , notice said "Few" that get over 2K regularly. Our range is just 1K and we will be (Hopefull) putting up some toweres to get 1,200 & 1,500. Once Jill and I get this build done (2022 - 2023) we wil; have to go up North GA to hit the power/gas lines to shoot 2K +
We were just a a steel dealer getting some square 2 1/2" X 3 1/2" tube for a project and the had doxen 4' X 8'x1/4" diamond galvanized sheets.
I am trying to get them to sell us a few. I need them to move some lathes into my basement and then I want to cut into 4'X 4" targets

Recent Posts