The perfect hunting partner

Right after the wedding I talked my wife into going Squirrel hunting wanting to start small.Starting with a 410 then 20 ga and then my 16 ga She was great out to 20 yards.Not wanting to buy new clothes in case she did not like I dressed her up in mine and made a comment that she looked like a clown.Started real good.I told her if one sees one of us it will come around the tree to the other one.First Squirrel shes her it come around to me .I shoot it.Well I shot her Squirrel.A little while later one came out on a limb ten yards away'She leans against a tree .Misses.Takes a second shot .Misses.Walks over to me.Hands me the gun and tells me she will meet me back home.Never hunted again.It may have been differant if she would have hit it That was 51 years ago

I've always thought it would be great to find my best friend and best hunting partner in the woman I marry. Sure I probably could have waited for "that" person but as many of us, what we feel is the right woman often times doesn't include the hunting partner part. My wife is a country girl and raised in a farm. She's been around hunting all her life. She started out bow hunting with me but eventually realized she'd rather watch the bucks spar, feed and just meander thru the woods while in a tree. She drew back on a buck and hit her mark but we lost him. Next buck she just didn't want to shoot. She said she loves watching them but not killing them. She's no tree hugger as she knows they must be managed but isn't interested in being a manager. Some I guess just do not want to hunt with a weapon. I'm going to try and get her back in a tree with a crossbow this fall. See if anything has changed. She also decided that she doesn't want to be out in a tree in sub warm temps. In other words, 45° or up and she's ok with it. At 62, she doesn't like cold temps. I get it, many don't. I hunt the remote Upper Peninsula of Mi in a tent for two weeks the middle of November. We get heavy snow at times and cold weather as you know. I do have a friend that does endure those elements with me every year and has since the mid 80s. Them people are hard to find. Many have dropped out but only one has hung. Friends that will stay in a tent for two weeks in that weather deer hunting are tough to find. No way my wife would do that. Maybe in a camper, no tent. Still temps would turn her off so would the lack of deer. Sounds like you found a partner for life. Congrats. John.

I've always thought it would be great to find my best friend and best hunting partner in the woman I marry. Sure I probably could have waited for "that" person but as many of us, what we feel is the right woman often times doesn't include the hunting partner part. My wife is a country girl and raised in a farm. She's been around hunting all her life. She started out bow hunting with me but eventually realized she'd rather watch the bucks spar, feed and just meander thru the woods while in a tree. She drew back on a buck and hit her mark but we lost him. Next buck she just didn't want to shoot. She said she loves watching them but not killing them. She's no tree hugger as she knows they must be managed but isn't interested in being a manager. Some I guess just do not want to hunt with a weapon. I'm going to try and get her back in a tree with a crossbow this fall. See if anything has changed. She also decided that she doesn't want to be out in a tree in sub warm temps. In other words, 45° or up and she's ok with it. At 62, she doesn't like cold temps. I get it, many don't. I hunt the remote Upper Peninsula of Mi in a tent for two weeks the middle of November. We get heavy snow at times and cold weather as you know. I do have a friend that does endure those elements with me every year and has since the mid 80s. Them people are hard to find. Many have dropped out but only one has hung. Friends that will stay in a tent for two weeks in that weather deer hunting are tough to find. No way my wife would do that. Maybe in a camper, no tent. Still temps would turn her off so would the lack of deer. Sounds like you found a partner for life. Congrats. John.
Thanks she is my golden angel. I have hunted up by Green land Mi. Where are you?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.