The paradigm changes in LRFs

Keep us posted, it looks good! I am looking for a rangefinder to replace my bushnell 800.

I wonder what it would take to get one of the PocketPC ballistic software packages to support the Bluetooth version. It would be wicked to automatically populate range and incline data from the LRF.

Cool, but what does the Bluetooth add? I've read the word "Bluetooth" in ads, etc., but I don't know anything about it. I'm pretty much a dummy in this electronic communication age.

Bluetooth is a wireless connection between the PDA and some other device. My GPS receiver is blue tooth and is carried in my shirt pocket. It sends info to the PDA's sofware and all I do is click/touch to save the location etc.

If the exterier ballistic software were coded to handle the bluetooth info all all that would have to be done is to fire up both units select the bluetooth device then, look, click, shoot and high 5.

Bluetooth is a short range wireless communication protocol used commonly in portable devices.

The most common application you may have seen is those wireless cell phone headsets -- the phone and the headsets use Bluetooth to "talk" to each other.

Basically, if you have a Bluetooth enabled PocketPC (almost all of them are), it could "talk" to the range finder wirelessly and get data from it. Then it would just be a matter of having software designed to take advantage of the data (ie, that looks for this data and automatically enters the range and slope info obtained by the range finder for you), and you might never have to manually enter range data into your PDA ballistics program again.

Edit: Beat me to it, Roy! Didn't mean to step on your toes there. I got distracted while composing my reply :)

Thanks guys. I finally got off my lazy butt and researched Bluetooth. (my son knows all about it, and thinks I'm a dinosaur living in the dark ages...he's right, of course).

If that Trupluse LRF works as it says, every rifleman who uses a LRF is gonna hafta have one.

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up and I look forward to any other information once someon gives it a run through.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.