The old 25-06 Remington and 270 Winchester shot flatter than 6.5 CM

With all this love of the glorious 6.5, many long range shooters are using 6mm. But when it comes to hunting large cervids, I'll stick with .30s for insurance. 25-06, however unpopular, is a great cartridge. As is the 270. As for brass availability, if you can get it then I don't concern myself wether it's easy or not to get. After all, with the internet, how hard is it to get brass?

I would love to see the "Creedmoor Craze" die out! While in it's own right a fine cartridge it's not the do it all Hornady claims it to be!
Like I have said My 6.5 X 284 is Faster..Flatter..Just as Accurate! Top it off with uninformed buyers and pimple faced sales people at the box stores you have guys believing all their sales crap! And heading out under gunned!
Then you have the idiots who claim a friend of their neighbors cousin killed an Elk
at 1775 Yards with one...BS!!
At this point I wouldn't have a 6.5 CM in my safe if it was Free!
I don't follow the pack!! The Fish and Game in Kentucky got it right.. It is illegal to
hunt Elk in Ky. with a bullet smaller than .270 dia.!!!
Really. Live here in Colorado for 43 years killed many elk with a 243,25-06,30-06,338 win mag, aluminum arrows,300lapua mag,300 PRC and 7mm rum. Probably more-elk than the state of Kentucky. Shot placement not size of caliber. The 270 is another over rated cartridge.

s0013.gif

I don't watch that guy, next video he's going into tell you that 6.8 western is better than 300wm....

The 6.5creed is a great cartridge because it is better than most other in it's class for off the shelf options.

Really. Live here in Colorado for 43 years killed many elk with a 243,25-06,30-06,338 win mag, aluminum arrows,300lapua mag,300 PRC and 7mm rum. Probably more-elk than the state of Kentucky. Shot placement not size of caliber. The 270 is another over rated cartridge.

It appears that you are touting the .243, the 25-06 and the 30-06, then........you slam the .270 Winchester! WTH, what's that about??????????? I'd definitely put the .270 ahead of the .243 and 25-06, and....right there with the 30-06. Sometimes I just do not understand the logic in some of these replies???

"The 7RM is no more than a 400-500 yard elk rifle"...
"The 6.5CM is nothing more than a target cartridge, not a hunting cartridge".....

Idiot. Everytime I listen to him, I realize how much this guy adamantly will not objectively discuss a subject and admit his numbers do not add up.

Again, I am NOT a 6.5CM supporter, and I do not own one. But it is a fantastic mid-range deer sized game hunting cartridge. Mild recoil, great bullet selection that can be pushed at adequate speeds, and inherently accurate. Sounds like a great hunting cartridge to me. No different than many other cartridges that have been out for years.
I have had 7 different 6.5 Needmore rifles . I have none now. Hornady ad campaigns and magazine articles describe it as the second coming when it is only a weak cousin of the .260 Remington. I have been shooting 6.5mm calibers exclusively for target, hunting and predator shooting for 60 years and love the caliber. The Needmore is nothing special in my book but with its popularity a host of high bc bullets have been pulled into the marketplace to supplement 6.5 mm all calibers that are out there that predate the CM for which is good.

I have had 7 different 6.5 Needmore rifles . I have none now. Hornady ad campaigns and magazine articles describe it as the second coming when it is only a weak cousin of the .260 Remington. I have been shooting 6.5mm calibers exclusively for target, hunting and predator shooting for 60 years and love the caliber. The Needmore is nothing special in my book but with its popularity a host of high bc bullets have been pulled into the marketplace to supplement 6.5 mm all calibers that are out there that predate the CM for which is good.

I don't think anyone would argue that the CM outperforms much of anything in raw horsepower.

Where it really shined was cheap, factory ammo off the shelf that shot VERY well. It was the "easy" choice.

I would equate buying a CM for outright performance is like buying buying a .375 Cheytac for the factory ammo.

With all this love of the glorious 6.5, many long range shooters are using 6mm. But when it comes to hunting large cervids, I'll stick with .30s for insurance. 25-06, however unpopular, is a great cartridge. As is the 270. As for brass availability, if you can get it then I don't concern myself wether it's easy or not to get. After all, with the internet, how hard is it to get brass?
Love my 2506 Sendero. Heavy, fast and produces itty bitty groups.

a person`s cartridge choice for hunting is his or her`s choice some are better choices than others but all cartridges can kill an elk . i own enough cartridges that i handload for fun but after 55 years hunting with a bow and or a rifle the one old cartridge that still is just dang hard for any of us to really argue about , this cartridge has done it all the 30-06 . the 30-06 has killed plenty game for 100 years or more world wide, 30-06 has been used in many wars to help keep America safe , 30-06 won many shooting events in its day . many of our relatives in the past used this cartridge to protect their homes too and put wild game meat on the table . every gun manufacture chambers the 30-06 yet today , easy cartridge to find ammo for in the world too. so can anyone compare a different cartridge that has done that ? i may not always use a 30-06 when i hunt with a rifle but i have alot of respect for a 30-06. i always have at least 1 - 30-06 at camp for a backup or used on a blood trail. its tough to beat a quick shootin old Remington 760 / 30-06 to use/ handle in the a thick woods . good luck this fall hunting ,Twolf

a person`s cartridge choice for hunting is his or her`s choice some are better choices than others but all cartridges can kill an elk . i own enough cartridges that i handload for fun but after 55 years hunting with a bow and or a rifle the one old cartridge that still is just dang hard for any of us to really argue about , this cartridge has done it all the 30-06 . the 30-06 has killed plenty game for 100 years or more world wide, 30-06 has been used in many wars to help keep America safe , 30-06 won many shooting events in its day . many of our relatives in the past used this cartridge to protect their homes too and put wild game meat on the table . every gun manufacture chambers the 30-06 yet today , easy cartridge to find ammo for in the world too. so can anyone compare a different cartridge that has done that ? i may not always use a 30-06 when i hunt with a rifle but i have alot of respect for a 30-06. i always have at least 1 - 30-06 at camp for a backup or used on a blood trail. its tough to beat a quick shootin old Remington 760 / 30-06 to use/ handle in the a thick woods . good luck this fall hunting ,Twolf
Very well said. I still have 2 good old 06's