The ol' Browning B78

Takem406

Has anyone owned or own one?
One of the other beautiful rifles I inherited from Grandpa is a B78 in 22-250. I've only seen one other in the Scheels library a few years ago.
Is there anything I should know before I start loading for it and shooting it?
How "accurate" do they tend to be? Not much info online about them. Read the trigger isn't the best and they aren't friendly for gunsmiths to work on. Any truth to that?
Thanks boys

Attachments

• Browning single.jpg
    Browning single.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 521
Your Grandpa had good taste in weapons... And obviously kept them in near-pristine condition, too.

I have always wanted to build a B78 Highwall with the heavy 26-28" octagon barrel in .280 AI.

I had one in 6mm Remington. I really did not get the play with it enough to evaluate the accuracy level. I wish I had it or a Ruger #1 to ring out with the better components now available.

Have a few of em. The 250 has a 1 in 14 twist. Most all have a lot of free bore. Got a smith to knock a trigger down to 2lbs. on my 06. The rest are around 3.

I have owned a B78 and two 1885s and liked them so much that I built myself a 45/120 on a 1885
with a 34" Lilja Barrel. It likes the 628grain Postnell bullet and has tang sights that have 230 MOA
of elevation.

I love to hunt with any of them because of there looks and accuracy, The longest shot to date with a
31" barreled 7 STW on the 1885 high wall was 828 yards.

The browning barrels are good but when you bed the forearm and screw on a premium barrel they will normally out shoot there owner.

J E CUSTOM

Have a few of em. The 250 has a 1 in 14 twist. Most all have a lot of free bore. Got a smith to knock a trigger down to 2lbs. on my 06. The rest are around 3.
Good deal on the trigger! The worked over trigger on my 700 22-250 has me spoiled, every other trigger is too heavy lol! Not sure what he set it too, but its light and sweet!

That was my other question was on bedding the foreman. Should I have that done before I even start load development? Or should the rifle be good to go as is to start with?

That was my other question was on bedding the foreman. Should I have that done before I even start load development? Or should the rifle be good to go as is to start with?

Yes. Bed the fore end Hanger first.

I bed the hanger to the fore end and float the barrel. The hanger will support it and the barrel will be free floated.

Some even install an adjustment screw in the end of the hanger to apply pressure to the barrel(Much like the tip pressure in factory stocks that push against the barrel).

I have not had to do this yet to get good accuracy.

By all means do everything before you start load development or you may have to start over.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.