The new Ruger seems to check all the boxes for me

olympicmotors

This new Ruger just popped up on my radar last night, I believe it is brand new for 2018. Here is a link

https://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyeLRT/specSheets/47183.html

I was just about ready to buy a Bergara premier series, here is a link to it.

https://bergarausa.com/bergara_premier_series_long_range_rifle.php

But the Ruger seems to check off everything I was looking for. Controlled round feed, picatinny rail already equipped, heavy barrel, 5r rifling, muzzle brake, m-lok attachment points for the bipod, two-stage adjustable trigger, claw extractor, fixed ejector, three position safety, and to top everything off it looks like it's going to be about half the price of the bergara.

I already have a Ruger Hawkeye 300 Win Mag, and have been working with it for several years. I've gotten it to shoot about 1 1/4 MOA. With Factory Hornady ammo. I like everything about it except it isn't quite accurate enough. I probably could spend some more money on it and get it below 1 Moa. But honestly just want to start over with a new rifle.

Do any of you have any experience with the new Ruger? What are your thoughts?

Yea, I'm going to check with my dealer tomorrow on the Ruger. I like the 1-9 twist.

Yea that's pretty neat it's a factory 9 twist 30 Cal barrel. That should make it able to run the new sierra
Matchking high bc 200 grain bullet if not the heavier one too

Just FYI... Detachable box magazine rifles tend to not allow you to seat bullets much deeper than factory SAAMI specs. This can sometimes be a huge hindrance in finding an optimal load for the gun.

Here's my recommendation for a rifle...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...M+Gen2+Model+700+5R+.300+Winchester+Magnum+24

I've got a gen 1 300wm 5R and if stretching a vid out it's
Still a single shot. Plus the x mark trigger completely
Blows and about has to be replaced. Also the 5r remmys are a 10 twist and the 26 inch version isn't threaded while the shorter 24 inch barrel is 5/8x24. People Either hate or love the palm swell the 5r hs precision stock has. The ruger looks to come With a muzzle break installed a scope base and an adjustable
Comb all be it a cheap looking one. The Remington 700 5Rs are really nice production guns but I'd still like to get behind one of those rugers after some load development.

Yea that's pretty neat it's a factory 9 twist 30 Cal barrel. That should make it able to run the new sierra
Matchking high bc 200 grain bullet if not the heavier one too

I think it is great that the manufacturers are increasing twist rate. I new when Browning did it others would have to follow or lose some long range sales.

You're limited to COAL of whatever AICS style mags limit you to. A quick search shows that AI mags allow up to 3.625, which should be good for most people. Accurate Mag brand shows 3 different lengths available all the way up past 3.8. I like that Ruger is trying to innovate in that area.

Ruger has stepped up their game.....8-40 screws on a 20 MOA rail and a 9 twist barrel factory 5/8-24 threaded.
And it has a "centralized chamber" LOL
Does the stock have a bedding block or any type of support or is all plastic ? Either way it is a feature loaded gun and I'm eager to hear some shooting and load development reports.

I've got a gen 1 300wm 5R and if stretching a vid out it's
Still a single shot. Plus the x mark trigger completely
Blows and about has to be replaced. Also the 5r remmys are a 10 twist and the 26 inch version isn't threaded while the shorter 24 inch barrel is 5/8x24. People Either hate or love the palm swell the 5r hs precision stock has. The ruger looks to come With a muzzle break installed a scope base and an adjustable
Comb all be it a cheap looking one. The Remington 700 5Rs are really nice production guns but I'd still like to get behind one of those rugers after some load development.
The X-Mark Pro trigger does suck, Timney and Trigger Tech triggers are not that expensive, and fairly easy to replace.

It does seems odd that you have issues stretching a VLD in a LA .300WM. I also have a Gen 1 26" 5R .300WM, and I have no problems seating a 210 VLD 0.015" off the lands and still magazine feeding.

I personally, am one of those who hate the palmswell, but I have gotten used to it. So, despite still not liking it, I can now tolerate it.

I agree the 26" version should have been threaded, and they should have never put out a 24" magnum caliber rifle.

The factory scope base would be good or bad...No clue as to quality, so I always put EGW HD bases on all my rifles.

I can't blame you on wanting something new/different. For me, the only reasoning I need to justify another gun purchase is "because I want it". :cool:

The X-Mark Pro trigger does suck, Timney and Trigger Tech triggers are not that expensive, and fairly easy to replace.

It does seems odd that you have issues stretching a VLD in a LA .300WM. I also have a Gen 1 26" 5R .300WM, and I have no problems seating a 210 VLD 0.015" off the lands and still magazine feeding.

I personally, am one of those who hate the palmswell, but I have gotten used to it. So, despite still not liking it, I can now tolerate it.

I agree the 26" version should have been threaded, and they should have never put out a 24" magnum caliber rifle.

The factory scope base would be good or bad...No clue as to quality, so I always put EGW HD bases on all my rifles.

I can't blame you on wanting something new/different. For me, the only reasoning I need to justify another gun purchase is "because I want it". :cool:

My gen. 1 5R wont hold a 215gr hybrid seated at .012. I have some 210 vlds but have never shot them in that gun. The 200 and 220 gr sierra matchkings work good too and work as a repeater

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.