The new LRK draws first blood.

JARHEAD1371

Here are the results of opening morning of the SD antelope season. The buck was taken at 225 yds and the doe was 340 yds. I was wanting at least 500 but only had until 11 to hunt and this was the only day. These are my first goats and first kills with the LRK from Jim See at Center Shot Rifles. These are my first goats and first kills for the rifle.

Surgeon Single Shot Action
Brux Barrel
Manners T2 Stock
CSR Muzzle Brake
Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm
7mm SAUM
168 gr Berger VLD

Sorry about the "back of the truck" shot, I had to get to work ASAP.

PA030137.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the first kills of your LRH rig!!!
I like the back of the truck picture, it is a little blurry though. But it shows your hunting stickers and the LRH sticker also.
Keep up the good work.

Good hunting Ryan!

How did the Bergers work on those two?

They performed better than I imagined. I shot the buck right on the corner of the white and the exit hole was the size of a baseball. He took about two steps and flipped over backwards. The ground looked like someone dumped a bucket of blood. I high shoulder shot the doe and it was like someone hit her in the head with a sledgehammer. We are taking the LRK out next week to fill my wife's 3 tags in a better goat area and I am expecting her to take a bigger buck than me. We will definitely post pics of her hunt.

Real nice rifle and a couple of nice goats! Did you ever get a load with RL17 worked up?

Have a great time on the upcoming hunt.

Regards,

-MR

I started with H4831sc and had great accuracy but velocity varied almost up to 100fps. Switched to the RL17 and velocity varied by about 25fps with excellent accuracy. With 56.5 gr of RL17 the 168 gr Bergers are going just over 3000fps with no pressure signs. As of right now, I've worked up a drop chart out to 600 yds and it's shooting just under .3 MOA (from prone with a bipod and rear bag). I didn't have time to fine tune the load more because of antelope season but I should have time before deer season in early Nov. The load of 57 gr of RL17 shot the best with 1fps difference in 3 shots but "only" shot .5 MOA.

I started with H4831sc and had great accuracy but velocity varied almost up to 100fps. Switched to the RL17 and velocity varied by about 25fps with excellent accuracy. With 56.5 gr of RL17 the 168 gr Bergers are going just over 3000fps with no pressure signs. As of right now, I've worked up a drop chart out to 600 yds and it's shooting just under .3 MOA (from prone with a bipod and rear bag). I didn't have time to fine tune the load more because of antelope season but I should have time before deer season in early Nov. The load of 57 gr of RL17 shot the best with 1fps difference in 3 shots but "only" shot .5 MOA.

I bet if you tweak your bullet length a little you will bring it in to a tighter grouping. Just a thought. Nice goats, I want to get out and do some lope hunting one of these years before God takes me home.

Tank

I bet if you tweak your bullet length a little you will bring it in to a tighter grouping. Just a thought. Nice goats, I want to get out and do some lope hunting one of these years before God takes me home.

Tank

This is the first goat hunt for me and it was interesting. In the are I was in, we could see for miles from several spots. It was like the goats would stay in one spot until one of them yelled "RUN!" and they would go full speed for close to a half mile then stop again. We only saw one other hunter and he was about 2 miles away. These goats are just spastic, but fun.

This is the first goat hunt for me and it was interesting. In the are I was in, we could see for miles from several spots. It was like the goats would stay in one spot until one of them yelled "RUN!" and they would go full speed for close to a half mile then stop again. We only saw one other hunter and he was about 2 miles away. These goats are just spastic, but fun.

I read the spastic part and started laughing. That was funny!:D

Tank

3000 fps aint bad for a 168 bullet out of an 7mm SAUM. Great accuracy too - is that .3 MOA @ 600 yds? Maybe you can tweek some faster loads, but I would sure be happy with what you have.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.