The New Hornady A-tip match bullet

I'm guessing they made the 500 gr 416 cal bullets for the rise in popularity of the 416 Barrett that ELR shooters are using, claimed bc is .976 G1 & .493 G7
I'd have preferred a .408 cal bullet over the 416 though, got 375 cal bullets on the way too

Barnes bullets have come up a lot on this thread. Just have to throw this in... anyone archery hunt?

A full metal jacket does as much damage as a broad head. If you know how to track you'll find the animal. Might have to walk an extra 100 yards from your truck (heaven forbid) but it will go through the animal and It will bleed out and die. Unlike a shoulder shot with a berger that will not penetrate and the animal will live for probably two days dying a slow painful death and you wont find it.

Sorry, completely off topic

I wouldn't say you're totally off topic if referencing the Atip's terminal performance, I do believe there is currently another thread going about that.
I'm also gonna have to disagree with your analogy. I've seen many a living creature shot with a FMJ bullet and wish they created that much damage. Also seen several hit with a projectile that did not expand as it should and acted like a FMJ. If you are lucky they will tumble, yaw, or if they strike bone it will cause a lot more damage (deflect, tumble, yaw, secondary projectiles). Very unpredictable and inconsistent performance. I would expect more along the lines of field tip performance (with maybe a little temporary cavity...maybe) nothing like a broad head. Not exactly what I want to hit a 600+ lbs bull elk with 1000 yards across a canyon. That's like stabbing someone with an ice pick. I hit a bull at a little over 800 yards with a .408 Cheytac and what is advertised as an expanding high BC (long range) hunting bullet. The hit was a little further back than planned (rear of lungs) but still should be lethal, and he was on his feet 4 hours later when I made it across the valley. If the bullet would have performed as intended, it would have been a relatively quick kill, instead I had an animal that was still very mobile and capable of making it into a very bad place. Lesson learned, no more ice picks!

A friend just bought some to try to get a 6mm bullet that wouldn't destroy coyotes he shot two coyotes this week had to shoot one three times to keep him down the other one got away all three bullets jus penciled through he also shot a crow at 200 yards it flew a 100 yards before it fell don't believe I would use
Them for any thing other than targets. David
I bet Remington wished they kept their pretty Bronze points now.

Resized_DSC00689(1).jpg

heres the exit on a goat we shot at 250 yards. 166 a tip at 2770 muzzle from 7ss.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.