The new guy!!

Welcome from Va!! Alot of good info here. Just as addicting as archery my son and i have done that and he got us started in this and its just as bad!! Wish you the best bud! We shot compounds though.
It is awsome to ring steel at 1000 but fun to hit at 80 with a bow too we used to shoot field archery from 10' to 80 yards. Here is a pic of the new toys

Attachments

• E0FEED3A-9981-4C42-9137-564760F7D6BC.jpeg
    E0FEED3A-9981-4C42-9137-564760F7D6BC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
Thanks for accepting my request to join. Im very new to long range shooting i have shot rifles prety much all my life.. but i still love my archery, traditional archery.. my wife say its an extreme change from a trad bow to a long range weapon.. i was introduced to long range a year ago from a friend the had a elk tag an asked if i wanted yo join him on his hunt. Yes!! Making a long story short i went watch him shoot his elk ( 1009 yrds) droped in its tracks i was in shock never ever have i seen anything like it.. after all the excitement was done an elk taking care of he asked if i wanted to take a few shots, again i've been around guns an had the basics, looking into that scope an pulling the trigger an watching me hit the targer at 800yrs i was pretty much sold i wanted more, after a half dozen shots i gave up on the 1000yrs target ( didn't want to waits his ammo) fast forward I've purchased my own rifle, yup a 6.5 prc just like his.. lol now im learning a new sport, sorta.. any how its going to take me sometime to get things gathered as far as equipment an scope an things, for one its expensive an two im on a fixed income and monies always tight. So its going to be fun once i get everything in order an get to shooting.. hope ya all don't mind a lot of questions from a green horn.. thanks guys.
Hey, Trad, another welcome from Montana! Like you, I grew up with a bow or gun in my hand most of the time. Killed my 1st elk with a compound bow (cow), then taught myself to build my own longbows and then take-down recurves. The only bull elk I have ever taken was with my 62 lb completely home built take-down recurve at 18 yards. I think you have picked a fine cartridge to start your journey into rifles. Shoot it often with the best glass you can afford (if you are like me me, it may have to be middle of the road stuff; just ask these great guys here for recommendations by stating your intended use and budget). There are many threads on this subject on this forum already so do some homework. One last thing, you may have heard of "the rabbit hole"? It aint no rabbit hole- it's a cavern and once inside, you'll find a bunch of old farts like me at the bottom! Come on in!!! MTGEEZER

Tad I can save you some money here since you are starting out and there may be some here disagree ( ignore them 🤣). Just my humble opinion here fellas....but take a look at Athlon Optics ..Argos BTR Gen 11 scope....8 x 34 power available in both MIL and MOA FFP scopes....for what you pay....it's worth alot more! As good as most scopes worth 4 times as much....you can learn with it and always upgrade later...but 479.00 can't be beat....check out MK MACHINING....Sell a nice package.....once again..just my opinion
I have looked at those, an i've look at the Arken sh4 6-24x50 MOA from Arken optics, an im liking what i see there im leaning towards the Arken.. but thanks for the heads up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.