The New Burris XTR II 34 mm tube

Diver96

I just have a few question about the New Burris with the 34mm tube. I have the old one
With the 30mm. The way I see it it bigger the tube the more light gets to the retina. I know Us optics and Schmidt & Bender both have large tubes and they have awesome glass. Does any one own the New Xtr and tell me how they like it. And the clarity of the glass , is it up their with the other 34mm tubes. I own a huskemaw and will buy another. Im up in the air on a new scope it going on a GA 6.5x 47 lapua. Need a little help

Thanks Daniel

As it's been stated before, there is no extra light benefit to a 34 over a 30 or an inch tube. You have, or should have, more internal adjustment. I believe the objective:magnification setting affect what your eye perceives as "light". That and the quality of glass/coating used for the optic will determine performance in early morning/late afternoon light.

... The way I see it it bigger the tube the more light gets to the retina. I know Us optics and Schmidt & Bender both have large tubes and they have awesome glass. Does any one own the New Xtr and tell me how they like it. And the clarity of the glass , is it up their with the other 34mm tubes...

The tube size has nothing to do with image brightness. Only objective size, magnification and lens coatings effect image brightness. Larger tube size increases elevation adjustment and tube rigidity. It can also improve field of view.

I saw the XTR-II scopes at the SHOT Show. I liked them mechanically, but a couple of the models that I saw had excessive chromatic aberration. The show samples were pretty beat up. I suspect they were engineering samples. The Veracity scopes I looked at did not have that issue. I strongly suspect the two lines share the same optical design in the 2-10X, 3-15X, 4-20X and 5-25X models. Re-use of common optical designs seems to be a Burris strategy to keep prices low. If so, the production XTR-II scopes should be fine.

I would wait until production units start shipping later his month, and see if any early customers complain about the optics. If not, these scopes should be up to the usual Burris standards of good resolution and contrast.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.