The New .260 AR

I will have to check my records when I get home but I believe that I am getting a little over 2800 with the 100 gr. ballistic tips out of my grendel. But yes, I would die before I traded off my VS SF II in 220 swift.

I've been playing with the idea of an AR for years. I never have jumped into one yet. I've thought about 204, 223, and 260 most recently. I would really like a good truck gun that has the LR ability for a yote that's out there at 500. Nice rig!

I don't mess with AR's here in PA. They are illegal to hunt with, so all I could do is use it to punch holes in paper. That is why I prefer bolt guns. Should I ever move somewhere, where they are legal to hunt with or I ever get into three gun or something, then I will consider one. I have thought about a 22LR in an AR configuration though.

Tank

The only time that I ever take mine out is for coyote hunting. That is what I specifically built it for. With the muzzle brake on it, the 6.5 Grendel AR barely moves when I pull the trigger. It is good for fast follow up shots if more than one coyote comes in. For all other hunting, I use a bolt gun.

Very nice setup there, I've always had a soft spot for the "black rifles" in fact i've still got 4 now...

6.8 SPC
.50 Beowulf (ouch)

& since viewing your thread, I think i'll pull out my AR-10 in .243win, blow the dust off of it & get'er back to the range....:D thanks for the friendly reminder.

You're absolutely correct about the Magpul mags, they rock! & made in the USA....

The only time that I ever take mine out is for coyote hunting. That is what I specifically built it for. With the muzzle brake on it, the 6.5 Grendel AR barely moves when I pull the trigger. It is good for fast follow up shots if more than one coyote comes in. For all other hunting, I use a bolt gun.
Yep that was my main reason for going with the AR platform.

Frequently the coyotes around here will be running in packs of 3-5, and of course hogs tend to travel in herds that can number over 40 animals.

I'll say this though for anyone thinking of building a similar rig, keep in mind that a 24" bbl on the AR10/LR308 platform makes for a very long and unwieldy rig due to the length of the action.

Total length on my rig is right at 52" and it weighs in right around 16lbs without a magazine.

It is strictly a LR type set up vs something you'd want to carry all day.

Too bad that I don't live in Texas anymore. We could get together for some coyote hunting. I used to live in LLano, TX. I love that hill country. There are a TON of coyotes in souther New Mexico though.

Too bad that I don't live in Texas anymore. We could get together for some coyote hunting. I used to live in LLano, TX. I love that hill country. There are a TON of coyotes in souther New Mexico though.
Most years I make it out to NM at least two-three times. I'll bet one of these days we can get together. I'm only about a 5 hour drive from Artesia and Carlsbad.

Well I had the AR's out for some shooting this morning and I had the camera out for some other stuff so as promised here are the upgrades.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts