The long lost adjustable boss.

BLK

I have a 7MM Mag caliber Winchester Model 70, stainless with synthetic stock and it is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever shoot or owned. Bought it around 1982. It appears the "adjustable" Boss is no longer made or available. That is a shame. I have experimented with this "adjustable boss" for many many bench rest rounds. It adjust the barrel harmonics to match the loads: factory or reloads, and it works miraculously. What happened to it? Average hunter can make it a tack driver out to 3-400 yards with factory ammo. I just do not understand where it disappeared to.

I had a guaranteed two minute rifle. I installed an adjustable brake and viola it was fantastic. I fired many 1" groups at 300 yards with no other change.

As for being loud. Guns are loud. Be smart use hearing protection.

Well, I am glad I am not the only guy that loves my boss. I also shoot long range. Have killed deer at 425 and a little less. Boss is fantastic. NOW, where can I buy another one to have installed on my 25-05?

I've seen then somewhere on a website. With or w/o muzzle brake. My oldest has a Browning A-bolt SS Stalker w/ one on it. 270 Win.. They are sweet.
Go to "gunpartscorp.com" and search "boss".

I have a 7MM Mag caliber Winchester Model 70, stainless with synthetic stock and it is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever shoot or owned. Bought it around 1982. It appears the "adjustable" Boss is no longer made or available. That is a shame. I have experimented with this "adjustable boss" for many many bench rest rounds. It adjust the barrel harmonics to match the loads: factory or reloads, and it works miraculously. What happened to it? Average hunter can make it a tack driver out to 3-400 yards with factory ammo. I just do not understand where it disappeared to.
It's a junk, gimmicky system that never worked well and as a muzzle brake it's horrible, the public figured it out and as a result it faded away.

I had several of them in both Brownings and Winchester and quickly found the best thing to do with them was to throw the Boss away, put a decent brake on the rifle and work up a good load for it.

Man, I do not understand you disapointment with the Browning Boss. Did you ever read the instructions and figure out how to use it? Not to be rude but my experience is, it is not junk at all. How much it reduces recoil I do not know but I can assure 100% it will tune your barrel harmonics to produce wonderful accuracy. That has been my experience after about 25 different rounds through it and adjusting it to each round. Yes reloading is wonderful. I shoot reloads through my 7mm mag but the boss also fine tunes it beyond the reload. Working up a good load is great but perhaps you should open your mind a little and take another look at the adjustable boss. Would you agree that the average hunter who does not reload could get a lot out of the boss with his/her factory ammo if they wanted to shoot longer ranges? I not only think, I know so from experience.

My friend has two A bolts, a 223 laminate and a 300 WSM in synthetic. I was there when the boss was twisted to tune the 223 each time a different ammo can from a gunshow was purchased. Each time that rifle was adjusted to shoot tight groups.

The 300 WSM shot the 125 nosler bt and the 230 gr Berger. Some adjustments made that rifle shoot the extremes in bullet weight.

It may be ugly but it is very functional. (I had a horse with the same description)

Man, I do not understand you disapointment with the Browning Boss. Did you ever read the instructions and figure out how to use it? Not to be rude but my experience is, it is not junk at all. How much it reduces recoil I do not know but I can assure 100% it will tune your barrel harmonics to produce wonderful accuracy. That has been my experience after about 25 different rounds through it and adjusting it to each round. Yes reloading is wonderful. I shoot reloads through my 7mm mag but the boss also fine tunes it beyond the reload. Working up a good load is great but perhaps you should open your mind a little and take another look at the adjustable boss. Would you agree that the average hunter who does not reload could get a lot out of the boss with his/her factory ammo if they wanted to shoot longer ranges? I not only think, I know so from experience.
Yes I read the instructions, discussed it with several smiths and found it to be pretty much a waste of time.

The best method of using them was to take it off, find a load that grouped well and then try to tun it in with the BOSS.

Mostly it was good for offending everyone at the range or accompanying you in the field, splitting the shooters ears and wasting a lot of rounds.

If it had worked as well as intended it would be dominating the industry today.

Yes I read the instructions, discussed it with several smiths and found it to be pretty much a waste of time.

The best method of using them was to take it off, find a load that grouped well and then try to tun it in with the BOSS.

Mostly it was good for offending everyone at the range or accompanying you in the field, splitting the shooters ears and wasting a lot of rounds.

If it had worked as well as intended it would be dominating the industry today.

You and a couple buddies had a bad experience so the rest of us didn't realize it really wasn't working when the groups got better. Interesting.

Well it sure didn't last long? I remember when Browning started with them..
"Greatest thing since sliced bread".... and now?
Like the old Poly-Choke just never caught on...
The title of the thread sums it up..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.