The lethal 22-250 strikes again with a Berger

Eastcoastshooter375

I spotted several coyotes this morning hunting in the tall weeds along the edge of a field. I ran inside, grabbed the 22-250 and went on high alert. After Several minutes passed with no sign of them, I thought "yep you're too slow, again". I had almost given up when I spotted one slip into a small thicket. While waiting for that one to come out, I spotted a second one trotting up a cow path. I got lined up on the next available window that it'd step into and waited. It changed its direction and headed directly away from me (I guess?).

While scanning for that coyote, I spotted a third one sneaking through the tall weeds and it made its mistake when it stopped to smell around a groundhog hole. I centered the X on its front shoulder/upper neck area (to avoid hitting debris between me and the coyote) and squeezed. Through the scope I saw dust fly off of its back just before I lost sight through the scope. I heard a WHACK then saw tall weeds moving. As I cycled the bolt in anticipation of another coyote making a break for clear ground, I spotted a 4th coyote run through a narrow opening to my far left and gave me no shot opportunities.

1 out of 4 isn't too bad, hopefully the other 3 make mistakes soon so I can smack them too.

Remington 788 in 22-250
Nosler Brass
52g Berger Varmint HP
FedGM210M
stiff dose of Varget
~3835 fps
Load prints 1/2 MOA to 300 yds if I do my part
coyote taken at 225 yds

Bullet Performance:
Entrance: high shoulder
wound channel: high shoulder and into vertebra.
3" split in hide (no blood) between shoulder blades
Bullet destroyed both front shoulders and back.

Berger bullet did exactly what I wanted. Hit where I was aiming, destroyed internals, dropped the coyote where it stood, and unloaded all of its energy with minimal fur damage.

Until next time, keep smacking em with lead!

upload_2019-9-2_0-20-8.jpeg

FYI: Coyote was shot mid morning, picture was taken tonight when I found time to look for it.

375, recently bought my first 22-250. Been shooting Az coyotes with my .257 Wbys. I have Norma brass, Varget and 210M primers. Looks like I'll be getting some Bergers for this load as well. This rifle will keep the round count down for my Wbys.

375, recently bought my first 22-250. Been shooting Az coyotes with my .257 Wbys. I have Norma brass, Varget and 210M primers. Looks like I'll be getting some Bergers for this load as well. This rifle will keep the round count down for my Wbys.
I have some 115 Bergers loaded in 25-06, they do wonders, I bet your wby really makes them shine. I've had good luck with Berger's, noslers, and years ago shot 52gr Starke bullets (looks a lot like a Berger but discontinued years ago).

I have some 115 Bergers loaded in 25-06, they do wonders, I bet your wby really makes them shine. I've had good luck with Berger's, noslers, and years ago shot 52gr Starke bullets (looks a lot like a Berger but discontinued years ago).

375, the 115 Berger is the only bullet I shoot in my .257 Wbys. My son's heavy barrel 25-06 is extremely accurate shooting them as well. New to the 22-250, can't wait to pop some varmints during my elk hunt.

375, the 115 Berger is the only bullet I shoot in my .257 Wbys. My son's heavy barrel 25-06 is extremely accurate shooting them as well. New to the 22-250, can't wait to pop some varmints during my elk hunt.
I bet the Wby's sling the 115's. What speeds are you getting out of it? You'll enjoy the 22-250, spotting long range impacts and hearing the "pop/plop/whop" is thrilling. Post some pics of your rig and kill shots when you make it happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts