The latest on Annealing

old_heli_logger

What's the latest info on annealing?
To quench or not to quench?
How hot? Cherry red, orange, blue, slight discoloration?
Any good videos?

I usually just chuck a deep well socket and spin it over a flame until the neck just starts to turn orange (in dim light) and then dump it in cool water...

Lots of conflicting info out there...
Thanks!
Steve

Any good videos?

I usually just chuck a deep well socket and spin it over a flame until the neck just starts to turn orange (in dim light) and then dump it in cool water...

Thanks!
Steve
Have a look at this-
The Art and Science of Annealing

Tempilaq is a good measuring device till you get used to the colour.

I'm not very scientific about annealing. some are going to cringe at this. I hold them in my fingers at the case head and rotate em in the flame, when they get uncomfortable to hold I drop them in a tub of water. It's crude I know but it works well enough for my purposes.

Have a look at this-
The Art and Science of Annealing

Tempilaq is a good measuring device till you get used to the colour.

I read the very informative article by Mr.s Harris & Light and pretty much tracked all of what they had to say. However, I was left with two questions. The first one pertains to the quote:

"Ammunition loaded from brass which has been neck sized only, may group appreciably tighter."

My question, why is that? Why doesn't full sized brass with a neck die group as tightly?

Second question is regarding Mr. DeSimone's use of CLR when quenching his brass.

What is the benefit of the CLR?

Please excuse my rookie-ness! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Doc

I'm not very scientific about annealing. some are going to cringe at this. I hold them in my fingers at the case head and rotate em in the flame, when they get uncomfortable to hold I drop them in a tub of water. It's crude I know but it works well enough for my purposes.

Same here... and yes, it works. :)

I like to dip my fingers in the water before picking up the case to anneal it. This helps keep your fingers cooled down during the process.

In my opinion, if you get the case too hot to hold with wet fingers, you've gotten the neck too hot.

I give it about 4 seconds on one side... and 3 on the other (second side is already pretty hot from conduction of heat)...

Dan

Same here... and yes, it works. :)

I like to dip my fingers in the water before picking up the case to anneal it. This helps keep your fingers cooled down during the process.

In my opinion, if you get the case too hot to hold with wet fingers, you've gotten the neck too hot.

I give it about 4 seconds on one side... and 3 on the other (second side is already pretty hot from conduction of heat)...

Dan

There are two sides to a circle?:D Just giving you heck.

I am a fanatic about consistency, I strive for all cases the same especially in the neck tension department. So getting all the cases to the same temp is important to me. I use the Bench Source annealing machine. It times each case while it rotates them between two torches. The duration time is adjustable so you can heat to what ever degree you wish. As the cases move out of the flames they are carried to a dropping point. Below this point I will have a damp towel for them to fall on to. Then I roll them away with my hands and the rolling on the damp towel cools them slowly. Moving them out of the way before the next case drops keeps them from getting dings on the necks and such.

Jeff

I'm with Broz on this one.....consistency is everything when it comes to shooting. I use a giraud case annealer, which is adjustable like the bench source annealer. I drop my cases onto a paper towel so they don't burn the plastic container. Once I've annealed all the cases I put them in front of a fan to cool down. I use tempilaq to heat my necks/shoulder to 750 degrees.

Any good videos?

Thanks!
Steve

before starting a ****ing match, I would refer you to a read on anneqaling brass in the Machinest Handbook for starters. There are a few really nice Federal publications to also add a ton of knowledge as to proper temps and how you must shock the metal during quench.
gary

I havent read these articles on this stuff before. But I thought that the purpose of annealing cases was the quick transition from hot to cold?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.