The last time I coyote hunted (12/2009)

megastink

I'm an avid deer hunter and have been for 20 years or so. in December of 2009, I decided to take my trusty deer rifle at the time (Remington 788 in .308) coyote hunting. I was living in the greater Milford, PA area, and there are some cornfields along the Delaware river south of town. I had a dying rabbit mouth call that I bought at walmart and some snow camo. I set up only about 100 yards off the main road, and laying prone facing the river, which was about 450 yards away. Laying on a snow covered woodpile, I started my calls. About 15 minutes into my sit, I see movement along the river. I got comfortable behind my rifle and looked over the scope. It was black. Very black. Too black? I didn't have binos with me, so I looked through my 3-9 weaver. It was my worst nightmare; an enormous black bear slowly strolling in my direction.

I sat frozen, hoping he would veer off in another direction. But no, he was coming in. He heard that rabbit, and wanted it. Now about 300 yards away, I made the decision that I wasn't going to "wait and see" if he left. He was king of this field, and I knew it. I turned and booked it to my car. The hunt was over that day.

I haven't been out since. I hunt the same area for deer and small game, but I do not want any run ins with a hungry bear. Now that hunting with AR's is legal in PA, I want to partake this winter. Reading some of the advice on this forum made me remember that story and I thought I'd share it. I look forward to gathering some actual knowledge and becoming less of a knucklehead in my approach to Coyote hunting.

Any predator will come to the rabbit and other prey based calls . I've also called a lot of deer , antelope and even a moose . Birds come in on a regular basis as well . I've called cows, deer , antelope and bob cats using howls they come just because they don't want coyote in their area to the howls . As you were just stay aware if you call they will come in .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.