The importance of Camo clothing when hunting Pronghorn?

Trogon

Looking at a guided hunt in New Mexico for pronghorn, and have been reading through the various threads on essential equipment, but had not seen mention on camo clothing. I've never hunted Pronghorn before. Closest thing would be (in my mind) hunting Springbuck or Blesbuck in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. I hunted them both on sheep ranches, all grass and termite mounds. Springbuck was never able to get closer than 400 yards, but then we didn't stalk them by crawling through the grass (besides prickly pear there was some kind of jointed cactus with vicious thorns). I was just wearing earth color shirts and pants, neutral stuff.
Would a grass pattern clothing be best, or is just wearing neutral colors OK? Would like to hear opinions.
Thanks in advance.

Ditto. Just wear conservative colors... in the rare case you have to do a long stalk. They are going to see you anyway... from a long distance. Whether they bolt immdiately or stop and stare is the difference between success or not... and many do the latter.

Biggest part of camo for goat hunting........
Make sure the sun doesn't make your clothing 'GLOW'....the wrong fibers and you will glisten in the sun....been there did that....
It was a nice desert camouflage long sleeve shirt....very airy.....
I was on a stock of two billies fighting in semi tall sage....guy in truck told me that each time I made a move the goats would see me...glowing like a nightstick.....
Stick with liteweight color phase cotton clothes that don't rustle....
No nylon or such....

Last edited:
Biggest part of camo for goat hunting........
Make sure the sun doesn't make your clothing 'GLOW'....the wrong fibers and you will glisten in the sun....been there did that....
It was a nice desert camouflage long sleeve shirt....very airy.....
I was on a stock of two bullies fighting in semi tall sage....guy in truck told me that each time I made a move the goats would see me...glowing like a nightstick.....
Stick with liteweight color phase cotton clothes that don't rustle....
No nylon or such....
All the clothing (cotton mostly) I wore on my Africa trip by the end was definitely getting faded (laundry service everyday, out in the sun all day) so I'll plan on bringing that stuff. Thanks for pointing out about wearing nylon/polyester stuff.

Looking at a guided hunt in New Mexico for pronghorn, and have been reading through the various threads on essential equipment, but had not seen mention on camo clothing. I've never hunted Pronghorn before. Closest thing would be (in my mind) hunting Springbuck or Blesbuck in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. I hunted them both on sheep ranches, all grass and termite mounds. Springbuck was never able to get closer than 400 yards, but then we didn't stalk them by crawling through the grass (besides prickly pear there was some kind of jointed cactus with vicious thorns). I was just wearing earth color shirts and pants, neutral stuff.
Would a grass pattern clothing be best, or is just wearing neutral colors OK? Would like to hear opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Watch out for CHOLA cactus. They are jointed and are the DEVIL to remove. Just barely brush up agains one and you've had it!
Cowboys call them jumping cactus. They are a PITA

Put a small hair comb in your pack or pocket for plucking out the jumping cactus. Works like magic. I'm doing a DYI hunt for Antelope this year, my first, and am getting a Cow Montana decoy to walk behind to close the distance. Suggested by a many that have hunted the goats and claim they're very effective. Your guide will probably have one. Good luck!

I've been hunting Antelope in the
north-east corner of New Mexico for over 25 years.
I've always took 2 different sets of camouflage cloths. It matters if the grass is green of not. if so. I'll wear a darker set of cloths. If not, the lighter set works better. Good Luck