The Grendel's are ready to smoke deer.

RT2506

This past January I decided to get into the 6.5 Grendel in the AR. Ended up with two rifles. The first was an adventure in patients. It was a 20" complete upper from Bear Creek Arsenal which I have posted about here before. After having to send it back for re-barreling and shooting it a BUNCH with a BUNCH of different hand loads I have found a pretty good load. 120 Speer Gold Dot, Hornady cases, CCI 450, 28 grs IMR 8208 COAL 2.277 with a medium Lee Factory Crimp averages 2550 fps and 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. This COAL is too long to work through Elander mags but works fine in ASC and AR Stoner mags. I tried loading this shorter but accuracy went away. I put an old Leopold VXII 3-9x50 scope on it that I sent off a number of years ago to Premier Reticles and had a heavy German style reticle put in it and also had target turret click adjustments put in it. This has worked really well for low light times deer hunting on a couple other rifles. I put a 200 yards zero on this rifle.
The other rifle I built from scratch. It centers around an 18" Oden Works mid length gas barrel, tuneable gas block and Oden BCG. I used an Anderson upper and 15" Stingr Hawk handguard. Both rifles have Anderson lowers with POF 3.5 lb trigger groups and I can't remember off the top of my head the name of the carbine style stock groups. This rifle is a tack driver. I put a Primary Arms 1-8x28 ACSS scope on it and zeroed it at 100 like the directions stated. I will be shooting 120 Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady case, CCI 450, 28.5 grs IMR 8208 COAL 2.250 and I use a medium Lee Factory Crimp. This Averages 2550 fps and sub 1/2" accuracy.
Today was a beautiful day with temps 10* below average. It was in the mid to upper 60s until noon with practically no wind at all. Had a nice morning at the range. I am ready to SMOKE some deer with the Grendel's. I decided that even though I have other precision rifles that I am going to use these ARs this year if for nothing more than to PO the liberals. Come on OCT. 25th I am ready to hunt.

Last edited:
No, my Grendel is amazing on rabbits and paper. It seems to lack in the range department on deer.

i'm planning to swap my SPR styled AR over to 6.5 grendel for a lightweight deer rifle. and yeah, we need pics!

I've got a 6.5 Grendel just waiting for deer season!
IMG_20180811_171121998.jpg

AEB9640A-29C0-4297-BE17-840C5F11BC0B.png

Bought an Alexander arms last year in the 6.5 Grendel and shot 3 does behind the shoulder and 3 bucks. One buck behind the shoulder and 2 in the neck. I was using a 123 gr hornady sst. The two bucks shot in the neck drops in their tracks and got back up and shot again. Everything shot be hind the shoulder only traveled a few yards. Before you say I'm shooting to many deer I'm under a MLD program and have to shoot 30 does and 12 bucks every year! Haha!

how so mach 1?

I love my Grendel but it's just not a good deer gun at extended ranges. I do well with mine at local bench matches but they are slow enough with 120 gr bullets and heavier that the wind here in Kansas really messes with them

My best accurate load only has around 550 ft lbs of energy at 600 yds and that's pretty standard with them

I have decided that I will not do pictures of anything I have on the internet. Big brother and who ever else already knows too much about us.

I used to play golf and I carried a bag full of clubs so I would have one to suit the yardage of the shot I needed to make. Same goes for rifles. No the 6.5 Grendel might not be the one you need for 400+ yards on deer but the vast majority of deer killed are killed inside 300 yards and probably half of them inside 100 yards and the 6.5 Grendel fills that spot pretty good. Just like when I played golf and went to a par 3 course I did not need anything above an 8 iron so I did not take them along. I will be taking one of my drivers along on the trip just in case someone ask me to go play the green monster course with them. 264 Win mag with 130 Accubond doing 3350 fps works well in those big soybean fields.

I have decided that I will not do pictures of anything I have on the internet. Big brother and who ever else already knows too much about us.

I used to play golf and I carried a bag full of clubs so I would have one to suit the yardage of the shot I needed to make. Same goes for rifles. No the 6.5 Grendel might not be the one you need for 400+ yards on deer but the vast majority of deer killed are killed inside 300 yards and probably half of them inside 100 yards and the 6.5 Grendel fills that spot pretty good. Just like when I played golf and went to a par 3 course I did not need anything above an 8 iron so I did not take them along. I will be taking one of my drivers along on the trip just in case someone ask me to go play the green monster course with them. 264 Win mag with 130 Accubond doing 3350 fps works well in those big soybean fields.

Unless you bought it privately without going through an FFL dealer then big brother already knows whatcha got and showing him a picture isn't gonna change a thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.