The Great Western Hunt, by Jim Collier

In a few weeks I will post a thread on how I hunt and the techniques I use. Most of the time people discuss hunting equipment and there is very seldom any information on hunting technique. My methods suit my personality and my objectives. I am not in Wyoming and Idaho to just put an animal on the ground. My objectives are to get a shot on an animal at some extreme range and I am willing to pass on trophy sized animals when the range is going to be too short. This is greatly different from what most people set out to accomplish. On the other hand I am perfectly willing to shoot a small buck or bull if the range itself is interesting.

Jim,
I sure enjoyed that hunting tale, very well done and congratulations on your enthusiasm and success. I have a few more goodies that I use for back-country hunts you might be interested in. One for sure is the lightweight protective cover for heavy rifles sewn by a fellow named Tony Burkes. Check out www.riflesonly.com to see Tony's stuff or send me an e-mail and I will shoot you some digital images. He also makes a great lightwieght shooting mat that would also fit into your hunting very well. Keeps the dirt and burrs away when you are setting up for a shot. Another item you should invest in is the Kifaru field chair. Weighs a few ounces and is so comfortable you have to try it to believe it. Absolutely a must have for long sits. I have used this simple device from the arctic to Africa and it is the slickest. Upon initial inspection most guys laugh and say no way, when they sit down and try it they ask where in hell they can buy one. Only problem is you get so comfortable you may doze off but what the hell...
Thanks again for the great story.

www.riflesonly.com/store/TAB/cover.html#

www.kifaru.net/fieldchr_hunt.htm

Last edited:
Excellent article and account of your experience. It's like a mini Clive Cussler Novel in how it ties so many characters from this site together. Great Read!
A possible future adventure here in BC could be hunting Elk, Moose, Cariboo, Stone Sheep, Black Bear, Grizzlies are by permit, Wolf in an area with excellent fishing. Check out this site: Home
Jet Boating into to eastern portion of the Kwadacha Wilderness here in BC. Only thing is if you decide to come up here you'd probably need to rent a refer truck to get your meat home lol. Great intensity, planing and execution.

I really enjoyed the article and could only hope to get to do some of the things you accompolished out in Wyoming in those 56 days you had. I'm very impressed with your knowledge, experience, and thoroughness in your writing. I'm just a young guy and I'm only beginning my "Journey's out West" for hunting as next fall i'm hoping to go out to Wyoming and Antelope hunt with my Dad. I hope you continue to pass on your information and experience though because its very much appreciated and extremely useful for us newbies and even the veterans! Thanks again and best wishes on your future hunting, fishing, and other outdoor adventures.

Great read BB. I will say this, your a bit more anal about your preparation than I am. :) The one thing I did that has made things a lot more enjoyable for me is the little pop up camper I bought a few years ago cheap due to hail damage. It works great and has been on a number of Ruff Grouse hunts with me when I go east to hunt them with my step son. God I love those hunts with him. Its about the only time we are able to get together for any length of time and everyone of them are memorable. You will find that out when you finally get to hunt with your son out here.
The pop up camper only has one problem and that is low ground clearance. I really need to change the axle and go to bigger tires on it and then lengthen out the tongue so I can put a drop tongue on it due to the more height it will have. With the extra ground clearance I can get back into more places without risking bending the axle on it due to rocks. I sometimes just stop at a rest stop when I'm traveling and park in the area's for trucks and pop it up and go to sleep for the night. Doesn't cost a thing to do that. It also has a huge amount of storage for coolers and extra's. I like to find a place for a base camp close as I can to my hunting area and work out from there. I have used it a lot even for weekend deer hunting as you just pull into your camp area and pop it up and your good to go. Plus I don't look like a 4wheel Elk going down the road. :) and I can get everything off the roof. Thats a PITA getting that stuff off. Your right on a BIGGER TRUCK. I picked up a Ford F150 Super Crew with the 5.5 box and a topper to go on it with side windows that open up to access things in the front of the bed. It has gun storage shelf at the front for very easy access. I like to keep the cab clean as my dog usually rids behind the front seat with half the back seat up. Leaves room for a third person if needed. Have done that with 3 labs in the back seat and step son up front with me. Gets kind of crowded if one of the dogs are grumpy LOL
What I found was the hardest to do on trips like your taking is taking enough water along. At higher altitudes I find I cannot drink enough water and started taking cases of bottled water to cover that but it really bulks up fast. 3 cases though will usually get me though the week even using it for cooking. The rest of the water I need I can get from a steam and boil enough to use for dishes and washing and other needs. Two or three of the 30lb bottles will get you through a week for the furnace if your out of camp hunting all day and shut off the heat. Usually isn't hard to find a place that will fill them for you either out in this country or trade you out with filled ones. I don't like having to take chain saws and gas and oil as it always seems to make a mess and if I am just going to have a camp fire I can cut that with an old cross cut saw. Batteries are easy to keep charged for lights if you have a couple solar panels. Not good on very cloudy days though.
Something I found that also works great are some of those solar powered lights for along the driveways they sell cheap. Most will stay charged up and run all night and a couple of those around camp work great for those 3:00Am forays out to find a tree to water.
And last but not least, sleeping in a warm bed with a mattress sure makes the next days hunt a lot better on the disposition.
By the way, I have a lot of respect for those horseback hunters. I use to do that. I went from a progression of small 4 season tent to a wall tent and hauling horse after a couple of those trips I will never do that one again. Talk about work. I have a lot of respect for those people.
I hopefully can retire this next year and plan on doing a lot of hunting. This method for me will be one way of doing it without killing myself doing it.
By the way, if your coming through this next season and are in need of a good nights sleep and a shower, give me a email. Your more than welcome.

This is an awesome story! I have just recently had the pleasure of finally hunting out west. It was great! Got my first two antelope! One I shot at 327 yds. Which isn't far for most western'ers but it is for this ohio/Kentucky/ West Virginia boy. This makes me want to go to one of those long range shooting classes. It will take me a while to come up with the cash.

Now all people have to do is follow your guidelines and they'll have a super trip just like you did. I don't know if they'll be lucky enough to hook up with friends like you did, but if they do, it'll just make it all that much better. Good friends just make a hunting trip that much better.

I'm looking forward to reading about your trip this fall, so make sure you take lots of notes on your trip and take lots of pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.