The Great PRIMER Depression of 2020

BoltActionBrotherhood

Just wanted to hear people's thoughts. I'm sure many of you have seen the articles and mentions of primers not being available for a few years.
Do you believe the hype, or think that's a bit far fetched and things will normalize in 6 months or so?

I think it will go back to normal by the summer of next year. Kind of like the 22LR shortage a few years ago. They may come back a little higher priced ~60 bucks a brick, but they'll be around. I've been pretty lucky with a local store about 12 minutes down the road. They still have all primers available (pistol and rifle) and I picked up 2 lbs of RL23 on Saturday. Only thing I've ever seen them out of is RL26, and that's only when I bought 3 of their remaining 4 lbs. They even have full shelves of ADG Brass and Hammer Bullets.

I think it will go back to normal by the summer of next year. Kind of like the 22LR shortage a few years ago. They may come back a little higher priced ~60 bucks a brick, but they'll be around. I've been pretty lucky with a local store about 12 minutes down the road. They still have all primers available (pistol and rifle) and I picked up 2 lbs of RL23 on Saturday. Only thing I've ever seen them out of is RL26, and that's only when I bought 3 of their remaining 4 lbs. They even have full shelves of ADG Brass and Hammer Bullets.
Lucky, some buddies an myself just bought 5000 for $900 bucks.........
so dumb

My hunting buddy called tonight on his way home from work. He stopped in to pick up a .17 HMR that he had bought a while back and found two bricks of CCI 250. Picked one up for me as he remembered I was short and looking for them. $35 in the Lynnwood/Marysville area North of Seattle.

I feel really lucky...

I have always kind of accumulated components , see something and buy it for a future project or rainy day. I have enough primers and powder for a while but it is ridiculous for those getting started. I was in the local gun shop this morning and there were more guns than boxes of bullets! That's crazy , my son was in Cabelas and they had 5.56 but were restricting to two boxes of twenty. I wonder when the Dems are going to figure out they put more guns and ammunition in the hands of new gun owners than anything else could have done. Lol it just boggles the mind.

Recent industry articles are saying mftrs say they have a one year backlog now, so do not expect things to get much better soon. When things do get back to normal, good idea to stock up what you can of the most common primers and powder you use. I just found another ammo can full of 22 under my reloading bench with 5000 rds in it to my 10K on the shelf. I find a powder that works good in a rifle, then I normally buy 8 lbs. I was just taking stock of what powder is in the cabinet and have some extra. Anyone in SE NC I have 8 lbs of IMR 4166 (replacement for Varget) and some extra H4350, and 8 lbs superperformance.

I have always kind of accumulated components , see something and buy it for a future project or rainy day. I have enough primers and powder for a while but it is ridiculous for those getting started. I was in the local gun shop this morning and there were more guns than boxes of bullets! That's crazy , my son was in Cabelas and they had 5.56 but were restricting to two boxes of twenty. I wonder when the Dems are going to figure out they put more guns and ammunition in the hands of new gun owners than anything else could have done. Lol it just boggles the mind.
You are right Obama sold more guns than hitler and they still cant see it

Bought all the primers powder and brass rifle bullets I'll ever need YEARS ago wish I had done so with HG bullets
Did just get a flyer from Fin and Feather for a SALE PRICE for 800 Federal 22lr for IIRC $200 before S&H or at least .25c a round vs .2c-.3c per round I paid last year.
Never ever thought I'd see generic 22lr going for .25c a round
Best price I've seen of late on 9mm OTC was .30c a round with a 5 box limit and .40c a round for 55/.223 limit two boxes of 150
Can find LRG RF and LRG RFM primers and LRG HG but haven't seen SMHG or SMRFL for 223 in a while for sale anywhere

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.