The Great PRIMER Depression of 2020

Too few people understand how the supply chain actually works and it's true scale. The majority of people are the "Apple should just make their phones in the US" people. Anyone who has spent any real time in manufacturing knows why it's not that simple.

From the mining of elements through transportation of raw materials, importation, to manufacturing of components, packaging, then distribution and finally commercial sale amd everything in between. There are several dozen moving parts at minimum in that "organism" for lack of a better term. Any slowdown or stoppage anywhere in that chain creates market disruption. The more slowdowns or stoppages in that chain, the larger the disruption and the longer the effects remain. In the matter at hand, we literally had issues at the mining stage and it just cascaded from there... therefore unprecedented disruption. Add to that; social unrest and skyrocketing demand... you see where this is going.

Think of it this way in everyday terms; how many of us have been traveling on a highway and encountered a traffic slowdown or stoppage? We creep along, creep along, we pass the incident(s) and finally we get going again. This COVID-19 issue was the equivalent of a complete major interstate freeway shutdown, but on an international scale. It will take time for "traffic" to get moving again. It doesn't happen as soon as the incidents get cleared. It just doesn't. In order to recover it takes relaxed demand <laughter> and no further disruption.

My personal opinion based on what I see in my manufacturing related job every day, the effects will be felt for at least a year. Two, honestly, would not be a stretch IMHO.

JM2CFWIW YM
Was told by a pretty reliable source that initially primer companies were considered nonessential to the plandemic so the businesses had to be shut down because of close proximity work spaces. So goes the shortage in the "machine".

WOW! I just opened my last box of Fed 215's priced at $7.35 from Long's drug store in Anchorage. They had a sale so I bought several bricks. I have two more backup bricks that cost about $23.00 each. I guess I better start saving for the next brick.

Large rifle $285.00 this is getting crazier by the day.

People like this are not cool...

They claim it is free market economics but it really isn't because free markets can only function when there is fair competition to send the proper signals about what something is worth. What we are seeing now is supply chain disruptions causing dislocations in the market and people with no ethics or morality trying to profit from the misery of others. For my part I refuse to buy ammo or components that have been marked up that much. I admit to paying full retail for one box of ammo but it was only one box and it was the price that ammo has always had....just not discounted like it usually is. I would rather pass up on a hunting trip than participate in this sort of abuse.

You guys are preaching to the choir on the gun rights. But I do think this shortage is just a combination of a lot of new gun owners and the current political climate stollen election etc... making everyone want to stockpile ammo. Even if Obiden is sworn in he will likely not going try any real form of gun control it would be political suicide for Dumbocrats in the midterm of corse this is assuming we do in fact have free and fair elections in this country. Clinton tried a bit of gun control in his first term and the dems paid dearly in the midterm elections because of it. I hope this all calms down in a year or so but if Obiden makes any gun control noises while in office we could very well see a convention of states over this or worse. "There are more privately held small arms in the US than the rest of the world combined" do the math the dems know this is political suicide for them.

And this too shall pass. This isnt the first shortage of components. And it wont be the last. This one is going to be a longer duration because of the double whammy of lack of supply(covid) and increased demand. Just be patient. And learn your lesson. When things get right make sure you have enough components to last through the tough times. I still have primers from the 1990 shortage. At least i think it was then lol. CRS creeping up. Mostly pistol stuff that I havent used because ammo has been so cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.