The 'gods' at the Alaska Fish & Game were good to me this year!

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Well the 'gods' here were good to me by drawing my name for a dall sheep tag. We can get sheep tags over the counter but like other states, the draw tags are typically better.

I use to hunt an area in the Chugach Mountains before it went to a drawing only. It was an awesome area. Lots of rams, nice rams, big rams, good scenery, close to home, etc....I took a couple rams out of the area and vowed to hold out for a real monster. After 4 years, they decided to go drawing so the year before it went to draw, I decided to shoot the first legal ram I saw since I knew it would be the last time I would be able to hunt the area. I shot a nice ram on opening day of 07. In 08, as luck would have it, I drew a tag for my area in the first year! There were only 5 permits and I never saw a single soul other than game. I shot my first double broomed ram late in the hunt. I thought wow! these tags are easy to draw. Then the stats came out the next year and the odds were less than 3% YIKES!! Boy did I get lucky?!! Well last year the odds were less than 4% and I drew it this year again! The only difference is that it is a later hunt than the one I had. I applied for the 2nd hunt as their fur is nicer and the real boss hogs come down lower. It's also a longer hunt. Anyway you slice it, there are some gorgeous rams in this area.

To top it all off, my hunting buddy Charlie drew the same tag I had in 08 and the same area I have this year only the first hunt. In 08, he drew the late hunt in an adjoining area as to the area I had. What are the freaking odds?!!!

Boy I CANNOT wait to back in the Chugach Mountains!!!

Very nice Michael!!! What's a Dall Sheep?:D Better yet what does it mean to be lucky? I wish I could relate to this fairy tale! Let us know how it goes!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.