The effect of crossbow tilt - Tac15 at long range

Twanger

I was at the range yesterday and got a first-hand lesson on the effect of crossbow roll on point of impact.

Admittedly this was at very long range - 125 yards.

I was shooting at the 3D elk at the back of the range and the point of impact (POI) was a good 8-10 inches to the right.

When I had set up I had noticed that the table I was shooting from had a mild tilt down to the right. lightbulb

So I grabbed something to stick under the right-hand foot of the bipod to roughly level the crossbow... it was maybe 1/8 - 1/4" thick.

Bingo, the POI shifted 8-10 inches left and I started dropping them in the 10-ring again.

So I'm definitely going to order a bubble level for this thing.

The other thing I'm going to do is to see how this effect varies with range.
I would assume that at 40 yards the effect of crossbow roll on POI would be much smaller than at 125 yards, but it would be nice to confirm this.

It's great you experienced the effect of cant first hand in a training scenario. I consider the bubble level a must-have in long range shooting. I've been teaching extreme long range rifle marksmanship for a lot of years now, and early on we found the bubble a basic requirement.

Midway, Brownwlls, etc. sells perfectly good devices for about $15 or so. One other basic requirement for field prone shooters is a bipods ability to swivel. With a swivel bipod and the level, it's only a momentary check and adjustment in order to get proper level.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts