The Dakota gets a makeover

dougm

Decided to makeover the 7 Dakota with a new barrel chambered by Kevin Cram of Montour County Custom Rifles. It's a Hart barrel with a 1:9 twist, and I also had Kevin bush the firing pin while he was at it.
Hoping to break it in this weekend and do the load development.

Yep it's a long barrel, 25 inches before brake!!!! I wanted to be able to get the 180 Bergers to 2900 fps and according to Quickload I was gonna need the length to do it.
I plan on just shooting the 180's primarily and want to get the most out of them for long distance shooting. At 11.5 pounds as pictured it won't break my back carrying it either.

I might even take this one to Africa next spring as one of my three guns.

Doug

7STDUBBERU

Africa? Africa! Did someone say Africa......I can hardly wait for that trip.

That is a bad rig Doug. I wish my last name was Trump.....:)
That 7 Dak should really move out of that long launch pad.

grit

Very sweet. All she needs is wheels. Been thinking I need to do something like that with a collapsable stock. Be very handy in the back pack.

tony c

congrats! let us know how it shoots.by the way that would be a great prairy dog gun.

Chas1

Awesome rig! Didn't know they can weigh more than the average factory rifle w/scope. Enjoy your trip to Africa and good hunting.

HUAINAMACHERO

Sweet rig!!!
Keep us posted on how it performed on your African Safari trip. Good luck.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce