THE "COMA ABERRATION" AND HOW IT EFFECTS YOUR RIFLE SCOPE

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by WWB, Sep 5, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

I don't know. The vertical and horizontal miss will change throughout the day based upon the suns position. With the old Night Force scope's that had their now discontinued large mil dot reticle that took up most if not all of the lens, the miss on a 500 meter target, on 23 degrees of decline was approximately 30". The holdover was 3.1 mils and it didn't matter whether they were shooting .308's or .300 win mags. Optics is optics.

2. Bstick

Bstick Well-Known Member

Lolololol.

BAMBAMODA likes this.
  3. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

That was exactly what happened with SEAL Team. They were utilizing the 5.5 - 22 x 50's.

4. Bstick

Bstick Well-Known Member

Which 90% of them are SFP, so yes if you were holding over using a SFP scope and not are using the true magnification then you will miss high.

If they were FFP, then no they weren’t missing because of aberrations. They were missing because they were probably using the wrong hold over.

BAMBAMODA likes this.
  5. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

It only matters because the error will always occur, only in different degrees. In addition, if you look through your scope, and your spotter looks through a different spotting scope with a different reticle, what he sees will be different from what you see. I use a SFP Hensholdt that has a very small mildot reticle. It was designed to be as perfectly sound to science as possible.

Attached Files:

6. Bstick

Bstick Well-Known Member

I’ve ran just about all top tier optics except hensoldt, tangent, and z co.

A spotter will always have a slightly different call than the shooter. The spotter is on a completely different plane. In order for him to have the exact same call as the shooter, him and the shooter need to be on the same plane.

7. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

During WWll, Peenemünde was the Scientific research facility for Germany. It wasn't the most pleasant place to work. If a scientist made a mistake, they were taken out and shot. When Hensholdt designed their scope, they did so as true to science as possible. Their scopes are a result of that.

8. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

It's about moving your eye off of the "Y" axis and into the curvature of the lens. Very large difference between reticles in a spotting scope and reticles in the Hensholdt. The ZCO is an Awesome Build.

9. Bstick

Bstick Well-Known Member

While I am sure hensoldt makes an excellent optic, the separation between them and other optics are minute. I have looked through them, as I have the others I’ve mentioned but not significant time behind them. My NF atacr and the s&b pmii do not have enough differences in them for me to justify a Schmidt unless it was food a really good price. Just the brief time I’ve had behind a tangent and hensoldt, I would the tangent was brighter and more crisp but once again those were for brief moments. I can tell you that at 1000 yards on a -25 inclination, holding 7.3 I will hit.

10. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

The optics are an interesting topic. Hungarian Optical, Shot, etc... Most of the glass is ground in Singapore then moved to the scope company. Its more about the internal build then you think. Hensholdt manufactures 100% of their scopes in house. Nothing comes from outside. I think that maybe HOWA is the same, although they do not manufacture product with mil reticles.

11. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Back in the day, I would fly to Japan to meet with HAKO, as they were manufacturing back then. Tommy Tomanaga and his Brother were partners. His Brother owns Light Optics, Japan. At the time I was contracted to Horus Vision and would fly there to inspect the scopes. I remember the first time I sat down at a the cullimator and looked through the scopes. None/none of the mil marks lined up. I thought that the reticles weren't calibrated properly, only to find out that it wasn't the reticles but Snell's Law of Refraction.

Don A Parsons likes this.
  12. Don A Parsons

Don A Parsons Well-Known Member

The trick is to get out there in different shooting situations and see where the bullets land...

Put this info in your ballistic app or write it down in the shooting log...

Its just that simple,,, use the mileage bars or dial up,,, I like the range optic bars to a particular distance,,, if I'm shooting past that I dial up...

Cheers from the North

WWB likes this.
  13. carl1775

carl1775 Well-Known Member

This has to be a new thread, utilizing an old thread for quotes, all for ADVERTISEMENT..??? Good for whomever. Yes, I dial. No, I don't care about the OP trying to sell something, as they are "sponsors."

14. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Don't be harsh brother. It's good information. Here's another video about wind...

Besides, you got to make a living somehow...

Mike 338 likes this.