THE "COMA ABERRATION" AND HOW IT EFFECTS YOUR RIFLE SCOPE

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by WWB, Sep 5, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Why Not/Not to use the holdover method of aiming, even with a ballistic compensating reticle

Mike 338 and Barrelnut like this.
  2. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

My video says it pretty plainly. The "Principles of Optics," explains it very/very well. You can purchase it on Amazon. The equations sum it up perfectly and without error. One of the Authors, "Max Born" was a "Noble Laureate," and is recognized throughout the Scientific community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates

Although the equations are lengthy, one cannot argue the the proven science of "Coma Aberration," or "Snell's Law of Refraction," or proving it for yourself. Please review the following Snell's Law of Refraction experiment.

One of the segments of my steep angle, high altitude, mountain shooting class is devoted to the holdover method of aiming in which all/all all of my students, which have included lead Sniper instructors from the Army Mountain Warfare School and lead Sniper instructors from the Marine Corps from their Mountain Warfare Training Center, to mention a few, have proven it to themselves. If this doesn't convince you, I encourage you to consult with an Astrophysicist or Optical Scientist as I did to make absolutely certain that you understand the science.

Don't get me wrong, utilizing the .308 Win with the 175 smk's, the precision hold over method works very well out to about 500 meters; (8,000' ASL - 3.4 mils). The combat holdover method works exceptionally well and is very/very fast out to 600 meters. Anything beyond that, and it's best to dial.

Mike 338, MELEX and WiscGunner like this.
  3. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Bambamoda, Your limited study in optics shows in a rather embarrassing expose; and quite frankly, and respectfully, you do not know what you are talking about. Following is a video of the former Commander of Aviation over the Pacific Region conveying his experience at the MSC. You don't know what you don't know.

Would you like to tell him/us exactly who you trained?

4. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Teesquare, 253 yards is a very/very/very short distance to target. You did not comprehend the video. A precision hold over for 253 yards is well within 1/3 of the optical center of the lens and will not make any difference. 253 yards on a 30 degree angle is actually 220 yards; (253 x .87 cosine = 220) Go back and watch the video again. Listen carefully to what I say.

lancetkenyon likes this.
  5. 762x51

762x51 Well-Known Member

as with most things in life, do what works for you. not what someone on the internet says you have to do. if you keep missing game using the holdover method, maybe you should dial. and vice versa.

milo-2, jls in az, crkckr and 2 others like this.
  6. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Your perspective is very interesting. See ya.

7. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Teesquare, When I was a kid, this buck I shot would have been little. Yep. Over fifty years of it.

Attached Files:

8. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Teesquare, Whatever works for you works for you. No argument here.You're probably an awesome, rreal world hunter with a very successful track record. How can anyone argue that? You and I are two completely different kinds of hunters; and really, to each his own; like live and let live, you now? What I stated in the video is not fantasy, and IF you have the time to dial, (which as you know, anything past 600 meters you usually do), then I strongly suggest it. I have a friend, he is head of sales for Newcon Optiks. He is a former Army guy and is very/very experienced at killing people with precision weapons. He was once asked what a Sniper experiences in a fire fight. His answer was something like this; as a Sniper over-watching a platoon, it is most important to reduce the target that is stalking your platoon; if you fail to do so, the target runs off. IF you do not chase after him and kill him, he will return with his buddies and light up the entire platoon. Over and over and over again, utilizing the holdover method of aiming, it became a shoot twice hit once affair. Most Snipers that are in rural areas where they shoot at long distances in mountainous terrain who have experienced the high misses, (even though they were taught the hold-over method of aiming at Sniper School), now dial. The motto of old is one round, one down. So, peace. And if you are up to it, make your data card, and then go shoot on angles. IF you shoot a 600 meter target and are aiming on an incline or decline of say 20 degrees, you will probably experience a high miss. Try it. Couldn't hurt. BTW, I rarely utilize a range finder until I get past 700 meters. Do you know how to properly utilize a mil-dot reticle? Looking at your target and knowing instantly/instatnly the distance to target? Without doing math? And knowing where to "hold?" And it's not the hold-over method that you are familiar with.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  9. Bill Cauley Jr

Bill Cauley Jr Well-Known Member

Great buck !!!

WWB likes this.
  10. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Dont know what to tell you other than you can learn from a PhD or a non credentialed enthusiast. You have made your choice, so why argue about it. Good luck. BTW, your instructor was the one that taught the use of Applied Ballistics targeting software. Are you using Applied Ballistics? I have some rather dissapointing news if you are. If you take five Kestrels or any/any other device with AB on it, make their settings identical, then creat the exact/exact same gun file and then input the exact/exact same problem to solve, (i.e. 900 meters, -18 degrees of slope, 5 mph wind from 9 0'clock) you will see that all/all of the units will produce a different answer. Which answer would you bet your life on? So, good luck.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  11. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

NTSD, I'm sorry that you are so sensitive to my words and I apologize for insulting you, but slamming your noggin into the laws of science, which are proven and absolute will only give you a head ache and conveys a less than favorable mentality. As you stated yourself, you cannot be convinced by me, even if you saw it with your own eyes. In my opinion, AB is a disaster for many/many reasons, and why AB has been set aside, is no longer utilized by Professionals and has been dissociated from Nielsen & Kellerman, (Kestrel). I am here for the righteous, and those that are capable of checking their egos at the door. So again, I say to you, "good luck" and live and let live. For those of you that are serious about your shooting and have a desire to learn, please take a look at the following video. The shooter hit with his cold bore shot just off of center at the collarbone and about 5 inches lower and on center with his follow on. This Two Thousand Three Hundred Twenty Meter (2,320 meters) shot was witnessed by four (4) U.S. Military Lead Sniper Instructors, three of which testify of the accomplishment. Come take a class at the MOUNTAIN SHOOTING CENTER. You will be glad that you did. www.mountainshootingcenter.com

12. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Perhaps it would be worth your while to get this information from the horses mouth. For further information regarding this matter, "please," contact the General Director of NASA, or Dr. Walter Peshke, (former chief scientist for Ziess/Hensoldt) or perhaps Dr. Hesse, (former physicist of Schmidt & Bender) who will be able to help you out. That is IF you really want to know.

For additional information, please visit my YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjrt0xWHJOAZlrIw1jSHiyA?view_as=subscriber

13. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Perhaps it would be worth your while to get this information from the horses mouth. For further information regarding this matter, "please," contact the General Director of NASA, or Dr. Walter Peshke, (former chief scientist for Ziess/Hensoldt) or perhaps Dr. Hesse, (former physicist of Schmidt & Bender) who will be able to help you out. That is IF you really want to know.

For additional information, please visit my YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjrt0xWHJOAZlrIw1jSHiyA?view_as=subscriber

14. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR