The Burris Eliminator 3 Rangefinding scope

surfacewar 8

Just purchase a Rem. 700, S.S. 26" barrel, 300 Win Mag. and I'm in the market of purchasing a scope, I'm interested in the Burris Eliminator 3. Has anyone know of anyone with this type of scope and if so what are their views? or should I look elsewhere?

I have been interested in these as well. So I went to the local outdoors shop and looked at a fe different ones and the guy at the counter "enlightened me".

This guy is one of the best gun counter guys I know and I trust, He lives and breathes this stuff. Anyways he told me flat out not to buy one YET! He said he has had several problems with mounting the scopes and they staying solid. He said the mount design is just horible and unreliable. As far as scope performance they work great. They had 2 there and actually were looking at sending them back because he doesnt want someone to buy them with thier names attached to them anymore. The ones they had already sold were a total pain in his back side.

So, that being said, he then went on to tell me to wait as Leupold and Vortex both have said they will be coming out with models of thier own sometime in 2013. The Vortex was actually like an anouncement that was sent to them, not hearsay.

So these are not my own experience but just passing along what I was told on Wed.

All I know is this.
This model changes EVERYTHING. Ive seen this coming for 10 years and its finally in sight. The addition of altitude correction will make this thing elevation deadly. The 10mph wind value is all you need for windage so thats dicked also.
Within 5 years I see a scope with built in weather system (windmeter on both sides and top of bell), pressure and temp). Shooter will only have to consider wind downrange/mirage and send it. That is scary for how fast it will work with someone who knows squat about real long range shooting. Whats even scarier is the dumbasses who will be using it and wounding lord knows how many critters with factory ammo.
This is the future guys. Much faster and stupid easy to use. Kinda scares me. I remember when I counted fenceposts and section lines to range and my exbal (android app now) was a range book and card taped to a stock or in my scope cap, wind meter was a bandana.
This is what they will all look like in the next few. Wait for a mil spec one from someone and watch out!

We had a guy using one of the Burris Eliminator scopes in our last long range match here in SW Virginia.

It worked alright out to about 600 yards...

When we went to the targets beyond that range, he couldn't hit doodley-squat. The sun was coming at us, and even our better LRF's wouldn't pick up the 1040 yard plate.

I think it's a bad idea. Get a good scope, learn your trajectory... learn what to do with the temperature changes and such... and you'll be much better off.

For what these things are costing you can get a pretty decent Vortex that will work for you.

Dan

We had a guy using one of the Burris Eliminator scopes in our last long range match here in SW Virginia.

It worked alright out to about 600 yards...

When we went to the targets beyond that range, he couldn't hit doodley-squat. The sun was coming at us, and even our better LRF's wouldn't pick up the 1040 yard plate.

I think it's a bad idea. Get a good scope, learn your trajectory... learn what to do with the temperature changes and such... and you'll be much better off.

For what these things are costing you can get a pretty decent Vortex that will work for you.

Dan

Yeah this new one has a bigger laser rated on deer to 900. I have been doing this a long time. This is he futue of LR scopes. In many ways its sad because we have alll spent so much time learning how to realy do it and now anyone is invited. There wont be many conventional sopes on the market in 20 yrs. Why buy a scope/program/RF instead of an auto scope that handles everything? Adding windage and atmosphere changes a lot of things.

I teach the students in our LR school not to rely on electronics as a rule, since they're so prone to fail.

Saturday we had a Leica, a Zeiss... and at least two higher end Bushnell rangefinders rated for 1600 yards. Not a single one would pick up the 1000 yard targets, simply because the sun was shining right at us across the mountain...

I'd say conventional scopes will continue to be around for a long time to come. :)

Earnie Bishop seems to like them. He has mentioned them here as well over on the Optics talk forums. You might talk to him about them. He has used the gen 2 and 3. Bruce

I teach the students in our LR school not to rely on electronics as a rule, since they're so prone to fail.

Saturday we had a Leica, a Zeiss... and at least two higher end Bushnell rangefinders rated for 1600 yards. Not a single one would pick up the 1000 yard targets, simply because the sun was shining right at us across the mountain...

I'd say conventional scopes will continue to be around for a long time to come. :)
Have you looked at the specs on this tthing? Im as old school as they come and grew up rangefinding with fenceposts before milling was real common. Most areas with fencing I can get real close with nothing helping. In fact the 160 buck I killed at 350 this year the spotter gave me 490. I saw the fence and went nope. Shot him for 360 and he was 350. Spotter read display wrong. It happens. But I will take every bit of help I can get which come to think about it this would be another instance when this scope would be better. I agree electronics suck. But this technology is going to massively cut the time needed for a shot and elevation wise will be as accurrate as you are since your bc/drop/atmosphere data is what it will use.
Read the release this changes things.

Find out where you live and where you are going to hunt with the scope because on some states they are not allowed on big game (OK for varmints). lightbulb
I wouldnt mind seeing a no game use law. I cant wait for yahoos buying them fri night before season.

If ya thought I was nutty saying this is the future ya might wanna take a gander at the HENSOLDT SAM. Naw sam isnt carls nephew hes the computer in this scope. 5 more years and this crap will be very common. I had the 1st bushy 400 in nw ok. I had the only one for 3-4 days. Not anymore. Electronics start out high and hard to find and then in 2 yrs...3....4...5? Its $400 for a 52 lcd tv at wally world.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.