The best of the best?

Don't know about the OP or 11 year old recommendations, but as as of today the most accurate out of the box rifle is probably the Sauer 100, unless you are willing to spend thousands more. But at its price level it cannot be beat by other out of the box rifles.

This thread is as old as my rifleā€¦

My Cooper 520 in 6.5x284 is 12 years old, 1000+ rounds and heavy use, it continues to be very accurate with flawless function, fit, and finish. Hoping for another dozen yearsšŸ™‚

Last edited:
A few days ago I posted about the Tenmile scope on a 7RM skinny barrel. Story on that, the previous owner hated it, kicks too much, I traded him a 788 in 308 straight up. Installed Ti Pro 3 ST on it. Tamed that skinny barrel. No shoulder on the barrel, just snugged up and Red Locktite.

When I got the rifle I came up with a load that is fairly mild 2944 with 140 VLDH, 66 grains of 4831SC, Hornady, 9-1/2 primers.

These were the pictures I posted on the Tenmile thread. Factory ammo to get the scope in the midlle, then went to the smaller diamond on L with handloads. Cranked the scope for center fired 1 on next small diamond to the R, then again on the diamond to its R again. 3 shot composite looks good

20220719_185931.jpg
20220719_191900.jpg

Yesterday I went to the range to do a initial testing with last year's acquisition of 168 JLK VLDs and newly sourced N560. Still stuck to my very old good lot of 9-1/2 primers to pressure test as they did very well with the 140 VLDHs.

Ejector swipes at 4&5. Bolt lift was fine. Don't try these loads as they most likely too hot for your rig. QL tags them in the danger zone.

Got sidetracked when loading the truck, I forgot the LabRadar. Chrono data will follow when I take it for a fun day with Shotmarker at 500 yards.

First shot was extremely high from the old 140 VLDH load POI. See lone shot. Cranked down for middle. I like single axis sight movement when testing. Straight line looks promising.

Fired the rounds. The picture tells the tale. Based on the elevation dispersion I will probably pick 69.75 and run with fine tuning the load at 500 yards, my self imposed limit with this combo.

20220726_190031.jpg

Bottom line, the skinny barreled ADL with just a brake added is performing above its pay grade. Sending the bolt to have the primary extraction fine tuned and bolt handle TIG welded. I even bought a fluted Krieger with intent to rebarrel on case the factory barrel is no bueno. Well, not now. The factory barrel stays.

Recent Posts