The best long range caliber

Dan5, not a bad suggestion, however you'll probably find the the stated BC from Barns is, well, optimistic at best, not to mention they more than likely will not expand at long range.
smile.gif

Charles

So tell us what to use that will expand at LR? And can I use that same bullet on a 100 yard shot and get complete penetration without a "explosion"

I'm still trying to figure out what bullet to use myself.

Jeff

I have used a 7mm Mag for many years at 1000 yards with great results in hunting and benchrest . It is an old caliber but is very forgiving and easy to load and will work on all of the game you mentioned with no problems. One of my current long range rifles is a Gunworks in 6.5-284 with sufficient free bore to achieve good velocity. this caliber would be the one I would suggest for the game you listed. It is a very accurate low recoiling cartridge with great bullets of outstanding BC and SD for target and hunting. It is the current favorite on the benchrest matches. A note on this caliber for forming old 284 cases work best if you can find them or the reputable name manufators work well. Make sure the chamber has sufficent freebore for the long bullets and to achieve good velocity. The short bore chambers in this caliber will not work as well or achieve the desired velocity. Either of these calibers will work on the game you listed as well as Elk and Moose with good bullets and shot placement. Hope this helps.

Charles

So tell us what to use that will expand at LR? And can I use that same bullet on a 100 yard shot and get complete penetration without a "explosion"

I'm still trying to figure out what bullet to use myself.

Jeff
You're asking a lot there!

The Sirocco's have performed well for me at both short and long range, but up close 200- while I haven't had any blow up I've had some flatten out to quarter size.

Hornady SST and Interbonds have done well for me at both for many years. I have less experience with the SST and Sirocco, but so far I've been pleased with them.

Note, I have yet to shoot anything thin skinned at long range with the SST, but they performed well on big hogs at 600yds plus.

The one bobcat I shot at 1,000yds plus and recovered with the 180gr Sirocco made about a nickle sized exit wound (300 Rum 3250fps).

I have been using the 162 gr sst for long range with great results. It expands we , has a high BC , and enough weight to work well. I shot two dee with it with great results. one was at 700 yards and the other was at 915 yards. Both had good wound canals and were dispatched Quickly using a7mm Mag. Hope this helps.

Another vote for the 6.5x284. Top accuracy, easy to load, little recoil, proven high BC 140 VLD bullets that are very effective on deer sized game out to 1000 yards.

Seriously?!?
Come on guys, this thread is from 2004'!!! I'm sure he's already made his mind up.

Read the date before you post. There seems to be a lot of dredging up OLD threads here lately.......

Seriously?!?
Come on guys, this thread is from 2004'!!! I'm sure he's already made his mind up.

Read the date before you post. There seems to be a lot of dredging up OLD threads here lately.......
Old thread or not the information and discussion is still valid.

Remember we have people new to the sport who read this site every day.

Call Mark King (Mark King Rifles) and discuss your needs with him. Contact him at
(717) 834-6284, his web site is markkingrifles.com.
He has built both the current light. (17 lb. class) and unlimited world record holding 1000 yd. rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.