• Barnes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler

• Swift

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who makes the best bullets and who makes the best powders.
Isn't this a Ford vs Chevy or Mac vs Windows or (insert strongly opinionated arguments here)? Realistically this is a personal thing. You have to try bullets and powders to see what works in your firearms / loads. You can realistically ask for recommendations but aside from that answers will mostly be other people's empirical data that may not apply to you.

Isn't this a Ford vs Chevy or Mac vs Windows or (insert strongly opinionated arguments here)? Realistically this is a personal thing. You have to try bullets and powders to see what works in your firearms / loads. You can realistically ask for recommendations but aside from that answers will mostly be other people's empirical data that may not apply to you.
THERE ARE A GREAT VARIETY OF BULLETS AND POWDERS AS THERE ARE BULLET APPLICATIONS: SHOOTING?, HUNTING?, TACTICAL?, MILITARY?, (DIFFERENT DESIGNS),
RANGE: SHORT, LONG?, VELOCITY AT IMPACT?
FOR TYPE OF GUNS: RIFLE?, HANDGUN?, SHOTGUN?.
FOR POWDERS: HANDGUN TYPE?, STANDARD RIFLE?, MAGNUM?. FOR THAT REASON VARIETY OF POWDERS EXCEED 130 + TYPES RANGING IN COMBUSTION, TEMPERATURE SENSITIVITY, VELOCITY,TYPE AND POTENCY (DOUBLE BASE? SINGLE BASE?), WHY TO USE THIS OR THE OTHER ONE?: APPLICATION AND TYPE OF GUN.
HUNTING APPLICATION: SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE GAME?, DANGEROUS GAME?,
AT THE END, WHAT ARE WE ANSWERING AT?.

That's a loaded question. I love Hornady bullets for a couple of my rifles because that is what shoots best and they are cheaper than the competitors. My 6.5 creed and 6.5 PRC both shoot the Hornady ELD-X. My 30-06 prefers Berger's. As for powders, there are so many options that I couldn't give you a preference other than what I've seen which is less than some here. I use H4350 in my 6.5 creed and 30-06. I use RL-26 or H1000 in my 6.5 PRC. And Varget in my .308. I'm sure there may be better powders out there for some but they work for me and are easy to find. Find what works best in your rifle and stick with it.

One could load accurate ammo for a large number of calibers with just 4 powders. Hodgdon varget, h4350 , h4831 and h1000. Add the proper bullet from Speer, Sierra or Hornady. All the classics and lots of the new kids on the block will run well with these components

Using the same powder, primers, brass, and rifle, and full load work ups with individual bullets, I always seem to get the very smallest groups with Sierra over a hornady bullet, but still use a lot of hornady for hunting. Lapua makes some good bullets too

Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds work for everything I hunt.Powders,Accurate,Ramshot,Reloader,Winchester,Hodgdon,IMR all work for me.

Last edited:
Using the same powder, primers, brass, and rifle, and full load work ups with individual bullets, I always seem to get the very smallest groups with Sierra over a hornady bullet, but still use a lot of hornady for hunting. Lapua makes some good bullets too
One of the best grouping bullets for my 6mm Creed are the
107gr HPBT Match King's

Best competition bullets are Cheek bullets in .22 cal, 6mm,& .30 cal. For run of the mill shooting, it's hard to beat Sierra, but Hornady certain is trying to beat them.

I've tried lots of different powders and it's like splitting hairs as to which one is better than another. I have a lot of good results using Hodgdons H322 for 6BR and VV N135 with the 22-250, but have a lot of Accurate, Alliant Reloader, IMR, Winchester, and Ramshot powders

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.