The Beast 30-06

You are shooting my favorite and only hunting caliber. For the life of me I do not understand why manufacturers do not offer the 30-06 with 26" barrels to start with. Using 22" barrels robs the cartridge at a minimum of 200 fps, with your barrel at 28" which I consider an excellent choice really ups the caliber's potential to its maximum capabilities.
I really began to like the 30-06 more when I bought a 26" barreled Remington 700 Long Range.That longer barrel certainly gave it an extra boost in velocity.After that is when I decided to permanently ditch the 270 Win and rebarreled it to the beast.I've had a couple of 22" barreled 30-06's that really struggled to get to mid 2800's with a 168gr bullet.I have three 26" barreled 308 Win's that will do a little over 2800fps with that bullet so I really didn't see much difference between the two.Some barrels are faster,but the 22" 30-06's have been the least pleasurable to shoot out of all the 30-06's I've owned.I have three other 24" barreled 30-06's that I like,but I still think a 26" barrel really a great choice for the 30-06 and I think it's only offered in that length barrel in a factory rifle in the Remington 700 Long Range.The only thing I had against the one I have is it had an extremely long throat and the bullet would fall out of the case before it would touch the lands.I had it rebored to a 338-06 and it shoots great.

that puts the old 06 in the same class as some of the factory 300 win mag offerings i ran over the magnetospeed.
most win. and fed. were only 2990-3020 in 24" barrels
That is so true with factory loads.I find it very easy to get a 100fps more from my handloads.If the bullet blows out the other side,the difference probably went with it,but I still would rather load my own.

are those the absolute hammer bullets? if so that is a pretty good increase over the 180 B-Tip with the same powder
All bullets are certainly not created equally.I was seeing 30fps less velocity with a 168gr Ballistic Tip compared to a 165gr Ballistic Tip.You would think the three grains wouldn't make that much difference,but the 168gr is a tad longer and I guess the little longer bearing surface probably has more to do with it than the weight.Bullet material makes a big difference too.

I really began to like the 30-06 more when I bought a 26" barreled Remington 700 Long Range.That longer barrel certainly gave it an extra boost in velocity.After that is when I decided to permanently ditch the 270 Win and rebarreled it to the beast.I've had a couple of 22" barreled 30-06's that really struggled to get to mid 2800's with a 168gr bullet.I have three 26" barreled 308 Win's that will do a little over 2800fps with that bullet so I really didn't see much difference between the two.Some barrels are faster,but the 22" 30-06's have been the least pleasurable to shoot out of all the 30-06's I've owned.I have three other 24" barreled 30-06's that I like,but I still think a 26" barrel really a great choice for the 30-06 and I think it's only offered in that length barrel in a factory rifle in the Remington 700 Long Range.The only thing I had against the one I have is it had an extremely long throat and the bullet would fall out of the case before it would touch the lands.I had it rebored to a 338-06 and it shoots great.
I have a 22" 30-06 M70 FWT in a McMillan stock. I love it because it's so light and handy. But I need a longer range hunting rifle so I've been considering from a 280 rem through 300 wm. A 26"-28" barreled 30-06 might just be the best compromise FOR ME for a 700-800 yard elk rifle. A 208 eld or better yet a 215 Berger going 2800 fps will make for good elk medicine.

I have a 22" 30-06 M70 FWT in a McMillan stock. I love it because it's so light and handy. But I need a longer range hunting rifle so I've been considering from a 280 rem through 300 wm. A 26"-28" barreled 30-06 might just be the best compromise FOR ME for a 700-800 yard elk rifle. A 208 eld or better yet a 215 Berger going 2800 fps will make for good elk medicine.
Lightweight rifles certainly have their place,especially in the high mountain country.I'm mostly hunting from a blind,so I'm partial to longer heavy barrels.If I was to build one for the high country in the 30-06,I'd still go with a 26" or 28" barrel in a lighter contour.If you don't like the 28" you can always cut it down to the length you like.

Lightweight rifles certainly have their place,especially in the high mountain country.I'm mostly hunting from a blind,so I'm partial to longer heavy barrels.If I was to build one for the high country in the 30-06,I'd still go with a 26" or 28" barrel in a lighter contour.If you don't like the 28" you can always cut it down to the length you like.
I tried out a friends M700 LR in 300 wm with 200 eldx @ 2880 fps so I originally planned on looking for a 26" maybe magnum contour. Some of the guys at Longrangeonly.com favor 28" 300 wm so I may try a 28" 30-06. Honestly I used to shoot a bunch of different magnums with no problem. Now I find myself getting more recoil sensitive so a 30-06 shooting a 215 gr @ 2800 might be all I want/ need for the long term. Plus burning 62 grains of powder sure is easier on the wallet than 80 something grains or powder.

I might have missed it but may i ask what is the twist on the Long Barrel?