The 6.5's

yeah yeah yeah yeah 436...see? THATS THE KIND OF ANSWER I NEED!! so it would need to be a bolt face similar in size to a 300 mag? or does it have to be 300 H&H mag?

It can be either. But the better choice would be a 7mm Mag Like I said; it works better if you're in the same cartridge case body diameter on the feeding rails of the action and the cartridge follower. Just one more thing you don't have to mess with.
From what I've found buying old actions and build new rifles... there seem to be more 7mm Mag in Rem 700 floating around for sale at a better price.

As WildRose said; give some thought in getting everything you can use and would want to keep in there rifle purchase... that way your just putting on the new barrel and you can have the barrel guy turn it too the same contour as the take off barrel, if you'd like saving more time and money.
Good luck on your project.

It can be either. But the better choice would be a 7mm Mag Like I said; it works better if you're in the same cartridge case body diameter on the feeding rails of the action and the cartridge follower. Just one more thing you don't have to mess with.
From what I've found buying old actions and build new rifles... there seem to be more 7mm Mag in Rem 700 floating around for sale at a better price.

As WildRose said; give some thought in getting everything you can use and would want to keep in there rifle purchase... that way your just putting on the new barrel and you can have the barrel guy turn it too the same contour as the take off barrel, if you'd like saving more time and money.
Good luck on your project.

Better yet, get a Sendero in 264WM.. or 7RM. Mount your optics. Shoot the barrel out and then rebarrel it.

-- richard

In this day and age a guy needs a 264 Win Mag or even a 6.5 Rem mag about as badly as he needs a bad case of a "social disease".

Lots of recoil....lots of muzzle blast...lots of $$ right down the drain. I had my 260 built on a Stiller SST action with a 26" Brux cut riffeled barrel stuffed in it and it cost s me right at $250 more than a Rem 700 action and its twice ( at the minimum) the action the Remmie is. ( BTW I have 4 Remmies here from 22-250 to 243)

Get your rifle custom built on a Rem 700 CLONE action and you can buy various stocks from Stockys and they drop right in and away you go.

If a 6.5 X 55 or a .260 or (various calibers out there) wont do you...then I sure dont know what to tell ya. Spend your $$ on reloading components...NOT for gasoline running around looking for things for "1970's cartridges".

In this day and age a guy needs a 264 Win Mag or even a 6.5 Rem mag about as badly as he needs a bad case of a "social disease".

Lots of recoil....lots of muzzle blast...lots of $$ right down the drain. I had my 260 built on a Stiller SST action with a 26" Brux cut riffeled barrel stuffed in it and it cost s me right at $250 more than a Rem 700 action and its twice ( at the minimum) the action the Remmie is. ( BTW I have 4 Remmies here from 22-250 to 243)

Get your rifle custom built on a Rem 700 CLONE action and you can buy various stocks from Stockys and they drop right in and away you go.

If a 6.5 X 55 or a .260 or (various calibers out there) wont do you...then I sure dont know what to tell ya. Spend your $$ on reloading components...NOT for gasoline running around looking for things for "1970's cartridges".
Emphasis mine.

AmmoEngine: .264 Winchester Magnum, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

.264 Win Mag rifle ammo ammunition - AmmoSeek.com

While I agree with most of your sentiments above, one need not waste any gas or time driving around looking for factory ammo these days.

AND i'm pretty sure 6.5 remington cases can be had from Midway, and plenty of bullet selection out there. Hunting bullets included.

Emphasis mine.

AmmoEngine: .264 Winchester Magnum, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

.264 Win Mag rifle ammo ammunition - AmmoSeek.com

While I agree with most of your sentiments above, one need not waste any gas or time driving around looking for factory ammo these days.

While the analogy might not ring true...you did get the drift of the post. While one might not waste their $$ seeking COMPONENTS and loaded AMMO....when was the last time you saw a 264 or a 6.5 mag in the dealers racks?? They are tough to find even on Gunbroker.com

While the analogy might not ring true...you did get the drift of the post. While one might not waste their $$ seeking COMPONENTS and loaded AMMO....when was the last time you saw a 264 or a 6.5 mag in the dealers racks?? They are tough to find even on Gunbroker.com
Well actually our local dealer had about 8 guns on the rack and one of them was a .264... .

I know what you mean though. I honestly feel even more strongly about wildcats.

One of the worst possible things that can happen to someone is to fly off some place for their "hunt of a lifetime" and find that their hard to come by ammo didn't make it... . Yes, indeed it can and does happen!

The 6.5/264's have just never gotten the respect they deserve in this country that they have around the rest of the world so one does indeed have to be careful about picking one of them unless you have the time and budget to load up early and in large numbers on brass etc, or buy large lots of factory ammo because 5, 10, 20 years from now your favorite may not be around.

Hopefully the .260 and 6.5x47 have enough of a following to begin changing that but we h ave a long history here of always looking for bigger, badder, and faster when it comes to our shooting in this country.

260 Rem is a fine cartridge. But, the guy likes the 6.5 Rem Mag.

6.5 Rem Mag is a little harder to find. So, he'd most likely have to build one.

New 264WM Senderos are always readily available on GB. So, I offerred that as a platform to shoot and then build from.

-- richard

yep, its one of those off the wall cartridges that just caught my eye. I know i'll have to look for a used 7 mag and rebarrel. I know i'll have to reload. I know the brass can be had at midway, $77 for 100, $377 for 500. If it looks like the costs will get nuts on me, i'll just go with a 6.5 creedmore in a factory savage LRP.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.