The 6.5 Sherman, And Other 6.5’s I Have Known

By Gene Solyntjes 3,329 fps! I looked down at the chronograph in surprise. After shooting rifles chambered in 6.5 millimeter since 1968, this...
By ADMIN, Sep 12, 2018 | |
Rating:
4.625/5,
  1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

ADMIN submitted a new Article:

The 6.5 Sherman, And Other 6.5’s I Have Known

Read more about this article here...

Barrelnut and jasonco like this.
  2. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member

Finally, a simple boiled down explanation of the 6.5 Sherman, that's all I needed.
    "It's like I'm sittin' here playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'?!"

HARPERC likes this.
  3. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Thanks!

4. newmexkid

newmexkid Well-Known Member

In my safe sits a 6-284 that after 2 years I don't like and it in turn doesn't like me!! I have been "looking" for something to stir up the old juices. I think maybe I've found it. Now starts the research on bullets, dies and brass.

wilkup and jasonco like this.
  5. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you! My 6.5x284 Norma, just barely eclipses 3 of my 6.5 Creedmoor's by only 100-150 fps with 140-143 gr bullets, all in 26" barrels?! That is not why built a 6.5x284 and trying Reloder 26 in it, was a disaster that didn't injure myself, using published load data!
    Until this article, all the info I could find on the 6.5 Sherman was vague, at best. This article says what it is, what it does, how it does it...Thank you!
    6.5 PRC is too new to try it out? I like established cartridges these days.

6. newmexkid

I forgot the article mentions, "John" the gunsmith in Corrales , NM. When I lived in Rio Rancho, NM. he built a fine 25.06 using an old REM 725 action I had. Good smith. He doesn't advertise much as he is pretty much booked up just by word of mouth.

7. newmexkid

Velocity is no problem in my 6-284, (105 gr Berger at 3562 FPS) it is he accuracy issue. Oh well, that's another story.

jasonco likes this.
  8. couesaddict

couesaddict Well-Known Member

I'm a little late but if you're researching dies and all the details, go to shermanwildcatcartridges.com.Rich has an online store on his website with reamers and dies. Brass for standard shermans you have to make yourself. I have a 270 sherman though and it's easy to form. Just got my barrel good and broke in with my fireform loads.

9. 30BR

30BR Member

I'm a benchrest guy, so this may not apply, but my 6.5x284 8 twist Krieger shoots the new 150 grain Sierra quite well. First (and only) 1,000 yard match yielded 2 targets with 7" of vertical, using RE26 and a Federal Magnum Match primer, about .020 off the lands...

10. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Very well done. The 6.5's bit me in the butt about four years ago and the more I shoot them them more I "get it".

With the right bullet there's just about nothing you can't do with the right 6.5 in the continental US.

Elkaholic definitely came up with a winner here, had I better understood what it was at the time I'd have probably built one.