The .308 got new glasses today

Clayne B

Picked up a 5-15x44 Vortex Viper HS mildot .01 mrad scope, although I really liked the 20x SS I had on it I really needed a variable magnification scope for hunting.

here are a few pictures.

1113121735a.jpg

1113121735c.jpg

1113121735b.jpg

1113121735-1.jpg

Took it out and let 10 rounds fly, sighting in and getting muzzle velocity, then took at shot at 300 yards on a rock and 405 yards on a rock... both first round hits. Picked up a tall bipod and sling and buttler caps today. Its ready to go whack some coyotes!!!

1115122003.jpg

1115122005a.jpg

Over all im happy with the scope! glass seems good to me.

1115122006.jpg

I like it a lot actually,

This weekends coyote competition

Left Friday night, slept in a tent in the rain, made 12 stands today, heavy clouds and some rain, drove 300 miles, 80 miles on very slick dirt roads. Competition check in is at 4 tomorrow afternoon. And I am home now where it is warm and not wet inside. Still raining pretty good out side. I will bet up an hour before the sun to see if its still raining or snowing. If not...... here we go again

Bought my son a rifle just like yours but put a HS Precision stock on it and I just ordered a Vortex Viper HS LR 4x16x50 can't wait to put it all together and see what it will do.

Clayne..

Be apprised that the eyebox gets a bit touchy on the 6-24 versus the 4-16.

I have a 4-16 on my 308 and the 6-24 on something else.....

Vortex (thoughtfully) has a rubber ocular ring on the eyepiece so you don't look like the Little Rascals dog after taking a shot at high power.

I have my level on the opposite side so I can see it while looking through the eyepiece. With the level on the paralllax side, the level is partially obscured by the knob when looking through the eyepiece more so than on the right side.

I have enough peripheral vision to see the level and the image in the ocular at the same time (on the right)...

Congrats on the new glass, I love the vortex line of scopes. I have 2, a regular 6.5-20x44mm on a Remington 700 sps varmint in a 243. Win. Wicked coyote setup, shoots amazing and holds half Moa out too 400 yards. Haven't had too many oppertunities past that. I also have a PST on my 300. WSM and that is one awesome scope! You will love yours. Hopefully getting permission on a new piece of property where I can shoot 1000 yards!

Clayne..

Be apprised that the eyebox gets a bit touchy on the 6-24 versus the 4-16.

I have a 4-16 on my 308 and the 6-24 on something else.....

Vortex (thoughtfully) has a rubber ocular ring on the eyepiece so you don't look like the Little Rascals dog after taking a shot at high power.

I have my level on the opposite side so I can see it while looking through the eyepiece. With the level on the paralllax side, the level is partially obscured by the knob when looking through the eyepiece more so than on the right side.

I have enough peripheral vision to see the level and the image in the ocular at the same time (on the right)...

having done a bunch of shooting the last few days with my PST, I can attest to the touchy eyebox on the PST. That being said, once I get in good position, it isn't that difficult to reset between shots

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.