The 284 Terminator is alive and well!

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
The first 284 Terminator is alive! Built this one for a customer in Wyoming on an LRKM rifle. 30" barrel, custom "S" bushing hex dies saltbath nitrided, fully formed Norma brass completely ready to roll. Shoots the 180 Berger EH @ a smoking 3330 fps, 6 fps extreme spread and into .182" @ 100 yards. While this is a cool platform and has no recoil to speak of it was my intention to use this round a in a "Sheep Rifle" of 6.5-7 lbs. With those numbers it will be an absolute laser out to 1K with a bit more reach. Before anyone asks I have no idea what the barrel life is going to be like but given that it is only running 86.5 gr of 570 I am going to say it will be better life than a 7 RUM and it shoots faster as well. This was a fun project to get up and running.
LRKM 284 T Web.jpg

Man talk about conserving space! Its hard to believe that thing is hiding a 30" pipe !
Is that CM or SS barrel?

Dang....like that paint job.....simplistic yet character....
Awesome....
Would love to have my AR like that.....

I'm curious: how well can you pull off a quick repeat shot? Looks like your have to not only break your cheek weld, but almost have to back away from it to get the bolt retracted all the way.

Call me a dumb@$$ if it's a single shot, couldn't decipher that from the original post

I'm curious: how well can you pull off a quick repeat shot? Looks like your have to not only break your cheek weld, but almost have to back away from it to get the bolt retracted all the way.

Call me a dumb@$$ if it's a single shot, couldn't decipher that from the original post
It is a single shot, but note the 2 round cartridge carrier on the side just in front of the ejection port. This allows for a pretty quick reload, yes you break the cheekweld but it is still pretty fast. If you look on our youtube channel (ShawnC338) there is a video of me shooting 2256 yards. I would shoot , load & acquire the target before anyone called hit or a correction.

Hey Shawn, can you post a picture of the cartridge itself, compared to something common, so we have a reference point?

BTW, love the rifle. A Berger 180 at 3,330 is ****-solid performance...Not to mention that .182" group. ;)

Hey Shawn, this one has me intrigued. What is the COAL? Also, how does it compare in length to the .28 Nosler? I can tell it's fatter than the RUM/Jeffery bases, so I'm assuming it's the same head size as the Norma (.588" rim) case?

Am I on the right train of thought? It appears to be about the same length as a 7mm RemMag, but fatter, like a shortened and necked-down .300 Norma for a parent case? If so, I can see this being an exceptional cartridge for those with limited magazine length actions that don't want to spend the extra to modify their mag boxes, but still want full capacity and capability.

Shawn, have yall done any testing with the Berger 195's?

I have been debating on tearing down my 2nd 7mm STW (built on a factory 7RUM action), and was going to build a .28 Nosler, but this one has me intrigued... Would that action require any modification to the feed rails or mag box? I know the bolt face will need to be opened up to Lapua bolt face (obviously :D), but would there be any other major mods needing to be done to an already blueprinted 700 RUM action (still has the RUM mag box and follower).

If you're interested in someone doing some sea-level to 600' elevation testing, let me know. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.