The .275 Weatherby for LRH?

I use the 117 SBT Sierra quite a bit and really like the performance of this bullet.

My experience only relates to about 700 yards with regard to antelope/mule deer.

Using Sierra's published BC, .410, for this bullet, I get 1683 fps and 735 fpe at 1K yards.

This is using Point Blank, 5000' elevation, and 3400 fps at the muzzle.

I run this bullet out of my 25/06 at a bit over 3100 fps and it has treated me well.

I am using this bullet lately more than the 100 grain HPBT-MK now as the higher BC of the 117 resists the wind better at the longer ranges. This is a very real consideration in Wyoming
smile.gif

You might consider the Barnes 100 XLC as it has a high BC and is well constructed. I have heard good reports but I've never played well with Barnes bullets, thus, I have not tried this one yet.

Sierra keeps me happy, keeps the freezer filled, and delivers for a workin' man's allowance.

Well I see S1 is up to starting his same old wise cracks again. Typical type.

Since your such a pro S1, I would advise you to go to the older Green Sierra Manual and turn it to page #361 and look what the 120 Gr Sierra HPBT (that stands for Hollow point boat tail for your information) 257 cal. and see what the BC is for THAT bullet. If your glasses are clean you will see it says a BC of .370

When I run that bullet on my Oehler program at 5000 feet and at 3400 velocity my program is showing Foot pounds of energy remaining at 1000 yards of 597 Foot pounds and a velocity of 1515 FPS

As far as your Pop quiz goes, I had 1495 Foot Pounds of energy left at 2100 yards when I killed the elk and a velocity of 1498 FPS (that stands for feet per second) remaining.
That was at 7000 feet elevation.

I do believe I mentioned long ago on this thread that the yardage Big Sky wants to shoot would be fine for the 25 cal. Bullet.

I ran the Sierra 120 grain and your running another bullet.
A differance in the two for sure.

When you mention amateur S1, be sure and look in the mirror first when you say the word. It will fit MUCH better.

Good Luck Big Sky. At the ranges you mentioned you want to shoot, the 25 will do the job for you as I mentioned before.

DC
smile.gif

[ 05-19-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Your a real piece of work S1.

Before you continue to run your mouth, Check the Sierra "Green" Manual and the page 361 and you will see for yourself the 257 HPBT has a BC "listed" of .370. Check it out. By the way, it does not say MK. It was listed as their 120 gr HPBT bullet at the time this book was printed. Now run that listed BC at .370 and tell us all what you come up with?

That BC is what I based my comment on. Maybe you might understand that if you read it in print, Putz #1.

If that bullet kills at 1000 yards that's great. I really don't care. If you say it will S1, it must be true because "your" NEVER wrong are you?

Your just to perfect ...
grin.gif
grin.gif

Later
DC

S1

Since your such an authority on "Everything" (even spelling now) maybe everyone should stay off the forum and just let you babble on and on with your vast amount of knowledge.

You can tell everyone just how great you are like Earl Chronister does at the 1000 yard matches. Besides that, you even build your own rifles like several thousand other people do around the World. Wow, I'm impressed.
You are "one of a kind" that's for sure.

For your information, I have three 25 caliber guns here at present. Two 25/06 ( a Heavy and light barrel) and one 25 Gibbs Heavy barrel 32" long.
I wouldn't be afraid of going to 700 or 800, as Big Sky suggested he wanted to do, for deer size animals especially here in PA.
We have killed Woodchucks at 1100 yards with the 25 Gibbs which does compare to the 257 Weatherby in balistics.

I like 900 to 1000 FOOT POUNDS (FP)of energy as a minimum when hunting deer or elk sized animals especially the mule deer which are bigger and stronger then the whitetail. I have seen kills with less FP of energy but, I prefer the 900 or 1000 as "my" limit when it is possible.

I have also seen kills on MULE deer that were hard to bring down at the extended range and the shooters were using more then the 25 cal.with much better bullets. Sort of like your speed goat story. The smaller Mountain Whitetail in this area would not be a problem with a 25 at 700 or 800 yards or maybe a bit further.

So with your vast knowledge, maybe you can look at the "Green" Sierra Manual and tell us what the 25 HPBT is listed at as per the BC?
It's on page #361---Look it up and run those numbers and see what it comes up.

You might just find that I was right and you (Heavens sake) were wrong to start your crap again.

In the future, look up the book mentioned before inserting foot in mouth.

If you don't have the courtesy to look it up, then your not looking for the facts as written in "That" loading manual and just tring to be a smart ...
Was it a misprint, I don't know but, it's there as .370 BC. I only posted it because Sierra was mentioned as a bullet to use in the 25 and that's what it said.

It's hard to be tolerant on these forums when dealing with people like you. That's the problem with the internet, no face to face conversations, which might be a better way for you and I?. ****, we might just get along even though our comments don't reflect it here. I'd rather doubt that though.

It would be much better if you would just email me if you think something is wrong with what I said and I could do the same to you? Maybe just maybe, it could be worked out off-line instead of making an *** out of both of us from our comments to each other?
i think everyone is tired of the comments back and forth from S1 and DC.

Maybe Len should ask both of us not to post anything on this forum again if the smart comments are to continue? You seem to start it S1. Maybe that's your way?

Hope my spelling passed your inspection this time?

Later
DC

[ 05-20-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

As per the Sierra web site:

.257 dia. 120 gr. HPBT
.350 @ 2400 fps and above
.357 between 2400 and 1600 fps
.330 @ 1600 fps and below

.257 dia. 117 gr. SBT
.410 @ 2500 fps and above
.403 between 2500 and 1800 fps
.370 @ 1800 fps and below

.257 dia. 100 gr. HPBT MatchKing
.394 @ 3250 fps and above
.386 between 3250 and 2800 fps
.376 @ 2800 and 2350 fps
.372 @ 2300 fps and below

Holmes

Thanks for posting the Sierra 120 gr HPBT BC as I have been seeing in the Sierra Manual.
Your listing was actually lower then the .370 I posted.

I do believe someone had mentioned that the 120 Gr Sierra had a much higher BC which in fact it don't. The 120 Gr HPBT is a terrable bullet in the 25 Cal. and the hollow point is huge. Compared to even the 100 Gr Ballistic tip, the 120 Gr Sierra drops like a ton of bricks at longrange.

That's the point I was trying to make and was told that the 120 gr HPBT had a .4 something which is false information.

You made my point exactly and I thank you.

S1

Do you get the point now?

As far as emails, you wouldn't believe what I get concerning you. It's a daily thing and I know you don't give a rats ***. That's just your attitude and demeanor.

Anyway the point being is---The 120 Gr Sierra HPBT has a "low" BC (even lower then what was in the Green Sierra Manual had printed) and is a lousy bullet for anything I would want to hunt with it in one of my 25s.
Use it if you want but it will not shoot near as flat as some bullets that are even lighter.
At a .370 BC the Foot Pounds left at 1000 yards is no where near what you posted.
Point made and I do know there are other bullets beside Sierra. We/I was talking about Sierra's though.

Now whos laughing?

By the way, A large whitetail buck deer here in the mountains of northern PA is around 130 Lbs to 150 Lbs with some of the farm deer in other parts of the State going up to 200 Lbs.
Thought you would know that.

Later
DC

[ 05-21-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Um S1 I belive you are the one that said the 120 sierra would work well
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S1:
I know that the .257 will make an excellent deer cartridge for several reasons. We have been killing Antelope and deer for over a decade with the .243 IMP out to 1,000 yards. Secondly, there are many excellent bullets for the .257 listed above, and I would start with the Hornady 117 SST, The Sierra 120 GK will also work well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and as you can see from holmes the bc is

257 dia. 120 gr. HPBT
.350 @ 2400 fps and above
.357 between 2400 and 1600 fps
.330 @ 1600 fps and below

if you run it through your program with those bc's Darrly would be right..

Hope this clears some things up.. The 120's may work but I wouldnt use them..

6.5 Bandit

Nope.... I was just clearing up the dispute with sierra... And YOU where the one that said the 120 sierra would work.. There are better ones then the sierra's.

[ 05-21-2003: Message edited by: 6.5 Bandit ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.