The 270 and Reloading

I am somewhat confused; what about this article is useful for the reloader? What information, experience or insight can be gleaned form "The 270 and reloading?"

I have to agree. I've been a .270 fan ever since 20 years of age. Never owned one though, but still hope to some day. Reading the article I wondered when reloading info would come up, it never really did.

I'm a 40 year 270 shooter. My first was a custom 26 inch Mauser action. Later on I had a 29 inch made. I predominantly hunted with 140 -150 and later on 169.5 grain and 175 VDL's. I've tried the newest powders. So when R-22 came out i developed loads. I've owned chronographs since the 80's. IMR 7828 was my go to before the advent of 169.5 wildcat buttets where Retumbo worked the best.

Now in the last few years. Superformance and R-26 seem to be the best. Varminting with 110 grain bullets at 3600 fps is also a good time

The 270AI and wsm have their place also

Never owned a .270Win till a few months ago. Bought from a guy that needed cash fast. 77 Tang Ruger like new, so I bedded it, scrounged 20 pcs of Federal brass from the scrap bucket and loaded a load I saw here using H4831SC and 130 Hornadys. It shot a .474 group after sight in and stayed sub-MOA since. Was going to sell it, but now I don't know. I've owned a .270WBY Mark V for several years and it took a lot longer to find a decent load. Now I have two in .270 and am liking it.

I am old enough to remember Jack O'Connor's 270 Win. stories in Outdoor Life.
Looked forward to reading them.

I have 2 Rem. 700 Classic stocked rifles in 270 Win. I loaned one to my grandson, He hunted with his step father in some big field farm country.
I have killed a lot of game with a Win. 270. Bears, deer, Ground hogs, Racoons and beaver both as hunting and as a tool of a Wildlife Officer. I30, 150 gr. bullets. From about 1978 to 1993 I only used a 270 Win. to hunt with. Took 270 Win. to Colorado on my first Elk & Mule deer hunt in 92.
When I stated hunting Canada for Moose and Caribou. I went to a Stainless 700 Rem. 338 WM H&S stock and Kimber 300 WSM Montana. SS and Fiberglass stocks for rough wet hunting is the way to go.

If I get to go west for a Prarie Goat, My 270 Win. with 140 gr. bullet in front of H4831 would be my choice.

With newer, higher BC offerings in .277 caliber, the 270 really does have the chance to have new life breathed into it. Little recoil, flat trajectory, decent bullet weights.

What's not to love?

People refer to the 25-06 as a long range, flat shooting caliber, but the 270 gets no love, even though it accomplishes that goal with room to spare, compared to what's offered in .25 cal projectiles.

I have never been a 270 win fan, not that I didn't like it, I just had always shot a 30-06 and 25-06 then to a 7mm RM then a 300wsm then a 257roy and now I am shooting a MK5 300roy and a rem 700 270 win, I will say this, I love my 300roy but I am really falling in love with the light platform and the easy handling and not having the load thump or boom of a breaker magnum. The 130gr ballistic silver tips are absolutely devastating to white tails!! Over time I will get an edge filled McMillian stock and a new barrel but I believe I will be keeping it a 270win!! If I need more boom then that I will go with one of the above!!! Only other rifle I am really interested in may be the 6.5-284norma.

You replied to a 2017 old post. But anyway. If you still have the 257roy Consider getting the 257 AI in a 26 inch barrel. You fire form 257R and get into reloading it will rival the 25-06 with a 26 inch barrel. 100's are great for white tail. 117/120's seme to do pass threws

Lots of barrel manufacturer and get with a gunsmith

I have something like this and it's just fun along with 270 cal rifles. We have taken 4 bison with 270's all DRT with one shots. One with 140 and the rest with 150's

This is a thread for discussion of the article, The 270 and Reloading, By Charles Smith. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Charles I enjoyed your article immensely. Had to chuckle when you mentioned Jim Van Winkles Lock.stock and barrel in Valentine. Brought back memories of the early 70's when I sold Jim 63 coyotes in the carcass all frozen in January and stacked in the back of my pickup. Of course I had to stop and have a beer first on Main street. Had a lot of onlookers when I came out, If I remember right we were getting $70 to $110 per pelt on the carcass in 1976.

I find this article confusing. I didn't knows Hornady made a 150gr GMX in .277 - only 100 and 130 gr. A mono 150 in .277 must require some high twist rate. Does the author have access to bullets we don't have, or is he confused with the 7mm 150 gr GMX? Perhaps it's a red tipped 145 ELD-X or 150 gr SST in .277?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.