The 27 Nosler, it's official!

Good on Nosler as the next latest and greatest are soon to follow,,, a world of endless cartridges like the old days...

The encyclopedia cartridges is ruffly 100 to 120.000,,, the book shelf wall is 6' X 16' wide with 5 sections,,, our rifle club will add another section to keep up with the advancements in new designs that are showing up over the last few years...

I'm middle age school when I got my foot stuck in the door with the 30 caliber,,, last spring I jumped into the 6.5 category,,, been thinking alot about the 27 and 28 lately,,, Ha,,, and the 338 thanks to alot of you folks...

The last few days has been hard on my noodle planing the next latest and greatest,,, now I'm seriously considering returning to the 30 something in standard non-magmum cartridge...

A whole lot less brass prep by not fighting the neck donuts,,, I've been lucky enough that the primer pockets are holding up on my A-square... I'll admit one thing,,, I'm glad I at least tried it... Super fun,,, low recoil,,, fast and flat... But the buts keep coming at me since I had my hands wrapped around Thunder in my younger years...

I stepped back from that category to find out what its was like too work with the lighter bullets,,, but the time has come to get back to the 30 ish something...

This was not my plan until I spent some time resizing some old school rifle cases last week,,, they were easy to size since the last outting with them was tame loads,,, cheap / frugal Lapua brass that has gone the distance and is holding in there... Of course I don't know how far my 6.5 A-square brass is going to take me since it needs some powder charge to keep those bullets going when trying to Rattle the iron gongs at our range...

Don't get me right or wrong,,, the new 27 will fill the needs of some shooters that come along,,, and me,,, Well,,, I'll slip back into my former rifle cartridge so I can fad away slowly...

More like the guy that in the corner of the shooting range that no one noticed... Ha

Today I'm game planing the 2 gun thing as I scale back to keeping it simple,,, a gift out to one of my lucky friends...

Sharing in the good times is what its all about for me now days...

Cheers from the North

I'll take the blame for taking this off coarse, and I'll have to fuel it just a bit more one more time. I messaged Nosler and they said it's a possibility the 35 Nosler may be brought out next year. I love my 35 Whelen and it will do any thing I'll ever need a medium bore to do, but I think the 35 Nosler would be a good match for the 35 cal. and make a nice elk to large bear cartridge.

As for the 27 Nosler it is appealing even though it is very over bored. But with the fast twist barrel and heavy long bullets it should be fine. Now I'm just wondering if I should buy one or build a .270 Win. with a 8" twist barrel?

Now who can I get the money from?? LOL!!!!!!!!!! :)

I just built a .270 AI and very impressed with the performance; and, yes it will outperform the .270 Weatherby! I am about to built a 6.5-06 Ackley cannot wait to get the rifle back. And.....there is a great .277 caliber following; at least smart ones!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
What do you load in your 270 AI and what kind of performance are you getting with it ?

What do you load in your 270 AI and what kind of performance are you getting with it ?
I'm getting 3300fps with the ABLRs, using RL19, but that load is pretty tough on brass. I am still in the process of load development for this rifle. My son and I each built one on the Ruger 77 long action, my son was shooting 1 inch or less, 2 shot groups at 300 yards with his rig. There's not a lot of money invested in the rigs, trued the actions, 26 inch Lilja barrel, glass bedded and pillar bedded with a trigger job. I'm about to try the Nosler 140gr bullets next, I don't get as much shooting time as I would like.

Personally I would be more excited about a 35 nosler, or maybe a 25 nosler that has less capacity but can drive the newer .257 bullets to quality speeds while being more along the powder per diameter of the 30 or 33.

I never found 277 bullets terribly interesting though so im not the market this is aimed at.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am happy to see the 27 Nosler.

I would also like to see a 25 Nosler. A .25 cartridge giving Weatherby 257 speeds but with less powder, a shorter case, and without the funky Weatherby case design would be great.

Claim yourself to be of Native American ancestry, get a professor's job at Harvard and run for President. Such a tactic has worked for at least one of the Tyranny-crat candidates...
Well I do have Native American blood in me, but they'd tell me it's not enough, to far back, too watered down. LOL :)

I look at it this way . More guns, more guns , ooooooh more guns.

Having options is a great thing. You go to the counter , look at all the pretty candies. Than you pick the ones that taste good to you.

Personally I'd have one of every fricken caliber made. Imagine if we only had 2 calibers to choose from. scary thought.

Imagine if we only had 2 calibers from which to choose. Scary thought.
The Tyranny-crat Party desires for you to have ZERO calibers from which to choose. They very surely have many other things so very much a part of American life for which they want you to have no choice.

KenyaCare was their big chance to destroy a massive swath of Americans' Individual Liberty, and they got it promulgated into law. The American People had a different idea regarding such oppression, and we said so in November 2016. If we are to remain a Free People, we must forever keep our eyes on those who would deny our Liberty...

I'm getting 3300fps with the ABLRs, using RL19, but that load is pretty tough on brass. I am still in the process of load development for this rifle. My son and I each built one on the Ruger 77 long action, my son was shooting 1 inch or less, 2 shot groups at 300 yards with his rig. There's not a lot of money invested in the rigs, trued the actions, 26 inch Lilja barrel, glass bedded and pillar bedded with a trigger job. I'm about to try the Nosler 140gr bullets next, I don't get as much shooting time as I would like.
That's pretty good but I would not say that's out performing the 270 wby ! mine does just a bit over 3300 150vld and is not hard on brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.