The 27 Nosler, it's official!

I started out with a .270 WIN and I have always had sort of a soft spot for .270s. I really am excited for the 27 Nosler and I think it will be a great all around magnum cartridge. I think 7mm is still the better choice because of the bullet choices and options, but this 27 Nosler sure intrigues me. I am interested to see the BC on the new .277 165 ABLR. The Berger .277 170gr EOL is impressive with a 0.662 G1 and 0.339 G7 BC, so that is another solid option. Nosler lists the 27 Nosler pushing 150s at 3300fps, and I'm sure that's with factory ammo, so handloads will probably be 3350+fps. I would think the 165-170gr bullets will be around 3200fps with reloads. That is pretty dang impressive. Honestly, its identical to the 28 Nosler with 175 Elite Hunters at 3200fps, but it's a 27cal so it's cooler haha.

I started out with a .270 WIN and I have always had sort of a soft spot for .270s. I really am excited for the 27 Nosler and I think it will be a great all around magnum cartridge. I think 7mm is still the better choice because of the bullet choices and options, but this 27 Nosler sure intrigues me. I am interested to see the BC on the new .277 165 ABLR. The Berger .277 170gr EOL is impressive with a 0.662 G1 and 0.339 G7 BC, so that is another solid option. Nosler lists the 27 Nosler pushing 150s at 3300fps, and I'm sure that's with factory ammo, so handloads will probably be 3350+fps. I would think the 165-170gr bullets will be around 3200fps with reloads. That is pretty dang impressive. Honestly, its identical to the 28 Nosler with 175 Elite Hunters at 3200fps, but it's a 27cal so it's cooler haha.
I'm hopping this cartridge will help us .270 fans get more bullets in.277. If we stay persistent maybe the manufactures will get the message the they need to spend more time on bullets in all calibers and a little less on new cartridges.

I'm hopping this cartridge will help us .270 fans get more bullets in.277. If we stay persistent maybe the manufactures will get the message the they need to spend more time on bullets in all calibers and a little less on new cartridges.
I think it will help. I read Nosler's literature and they said they designed it with a long throat to use modern long range bullets like the ABLR and RDF. So that there leads us to believe there will be a .277 RDF match bullet!

I'll be patently waiting for that bullet to be available since I can't order the matrix bullets at the moment from Canada for my wsm!

You won't see slick bullets consistently until you see barrels that will shoot them. It's sort of a catch 22

Those numbers are disappointing, throat a 270 WSM long and it will run 150's at 3250 fps and 170's at 3000+, they better get more than that for 20 grains more capacity!! I've kinda fallen out of love with the everything but the 30 Nosler now, seems to much powder down the pipe for 100 fps gain over many other chamberings that show much better throat life. I do dig the idea of a 165 ABLR, the 170 EOL is such a destroyer of life it would be hard to beat but more option are always good.

I think it will help. I read Nosler's literature and they said they designed it with a long throat to use modern long range bullets like the ABLR and RDF. So that there leads us to believe there will be a .277 RDF match bullet!
27 nosler saami spec chamber has virtually no freebore, so......good luck with that! I have attached the saami dimensions. A custom reamer will fix that issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-193438.jpg
    Screenshot_20200118-193438.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 159
Happy to see this. 6.5 WBY RPM or 27 Nosler is the question for me now. And as others have said, that 35 Has my attention.
I had sent a message to Nosler about doing the 35 and that's how I found out the had did it. I sent them a message today hopping to keep the fire going for the 35 Nosler, if all the 35 caliber fans message Nosler maybe we can get them to put it into production.

From the end of the lead, it has 0.153 of freebore?
The freebore is only 0.019, it does have slightly longer lead than normal as the andle is 1° vs 1.5°. The case has a long neck for 270 at 0.329 but you'll want more FB for a 170 Berger, as the bearing is 0.407, the neck helps you out way more than the freebore does. Freebore is the length after case mouth that's 277 diameter. Where the taper starts to the lands, usually indicated by a 1.X 30' measurement that's the start of the lead.

The freebore is only 0.019, it does have slightly longer lead than normal as the andle is 1° vs 1.5°. The case has a long neck for 270 at 0.329 but you'll want more FB for a 170 Berger, as the bearing is 0.407, the neck helps you out way more than the freebore does.
You're confusing the length of the lead for the freebore

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.