The 25 sst...up and running

This popping up reminded me I need to update.

25SST 128grn HH
RL26 w/ .010" jump

55.0 - 3022fps
55.5 - 3027fps

Wasn't happy with groups so I adjusted seating depth to .030" jump

56.0 - 3025fps

Group got even worse…so left seating depth at .010" on rest.

57.0 - 3107fps slight ejector mark, easy bolt lift. Best group with the 128, but still not acceptable (~.712" 3 shot group).

Pretty flat node at 55-56grns but groups were slightly over an inch at 100 yds. I'm going to give the 128 one more try then move on. After talking with Steve he suggested the 117 grn AH. Going to give those a shot this weekend and I'll post results. The SBD2s are consistently shooting sub 1/2 MOA and held to 300. I'll try to stretch them out this weekend further.

Was out today messing around with the ar15 and .223 bolt rifle then decided to pull out the 25SST as I haven't shot it in awhile. Was shooting the 67gr shock hammers & 90gr absolute hammers at shorter ranges.
Then right before dark I decided to send 2 quick shots down range at my 755 yard target with the 131gr ace.
The vertical was .5" and the horizontal was 4.2"
I'm still pleased with this since the barrel has 1263 rounds through it now.
C4B788B9-DCD7-4D82-9D6D-4D27B7D45F1A.jpeg

I had planned on getting the local smith to cut this barrel down to 20" and have him re chamber it and see if it comes back to life as this barrel has lost some velocity. But the smith has gone back to machining parts for the oil field since it has picked back up. Also I got about 5K worth of guns and gear stolen out of my truck the other day. Including my Vectronix PLRF 05 so due to both of those unfortunate events Im probably going to spend money on a rangefinder next.

It has has been nice to see more bullets becoming available. Looking forward to trying the Berger 135s and the the 75gr hammer hunters look interesting to, although I'm not sure they will do anything for me the 90gr absolute hammer isn't already.

Was out today messing around with the ar15 and .223 bolt rifle then decided to pull out the 25SST as I haven't shot it in awhile. Was shooting the 67gr shock hammers & 90gr absolute hammers at shorter ranges.
Then right before dark I decided to send 2 quick shots down range at my 755 yard target with the 131gr ace.
The vertical was .5" and the horizontal was 4.2"
I'm still pleased with this since the barrel has 1263 rounds through it now.
View attachment 286704
I had planned on getting the local smith to cut this barrel down to 20" and have him re chamber it and see if it comes back to life as this barrel has lost some velocity. But the smith has gone back to machining parts for the oil field since it has picked back up. Also I got about 5K worth of guns and gear stolen out of my truck the other day. Including my Vectronix PLRF 05 so due to both of those unfortunate events Im probably going to spend money on a rangefinder next.

It has has been nice to see more bullets becoming available. Looking forward to trying the Berger 135s and the the 75gr hammer hunters look interesting to, although I'm not sure they will do anything for me the 90gr absolute hammer isn't already.
Man I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune…. I hate a thief!

CA48 did you ever complete your testing of 25SST 131 Ace bullets with Retumbo powder like testing you did with H1000? Curious if you had a preference for one over the other as well?

Anyone have any load data on H1000 and hammers? I was thinking 110gr or heavier. Its a 7.25twist, so I'm not sure it fit will stabilize the 128gr.
I'd say you'll have marginal stability with that twist rate. 125s might work better.

Personally, I love the 110s in my 257wby. Pretty easy to get them going 3500.

This popping up reminded me I need to update.

25SST 128grn HH
RL26 w/ .010" jump

55.0 - 3022fps
55.5 - 3027fps

Wasn't happy with groups so I adjusted seating depth to .030" jump

56.0 - 3025fps

Group got even worse…so left seating depth at .010" on rest.

57.0 - 3107fps slight ejector mark, easy bolt lift. Best group with the 128, but still not acceptable (~.712" 3 shot group).

Pretty flat node at 55-56grns but groups were slightly over an inch at 100 yds. I'm going to give the 128 one more try then move on. After talking with Steve he suggested the 117 grn AH. Going to give those a shot this weekend and I'll post results. The SBD2s are consistently shooting sub 1/2 MOA and held to 300. I'll try to stretch them out this weekend further.

Any update on how your loads ended up? In the process of doing the research to build a new rifle and the 25 SST is calling. I'm looking at shooting monos as well.

Honestly I gave up on the hammer monos with my 25SST. I know @lancetkenyon uses the 121HH with his with good results. I couldn't get the accuracy and speed I was hoping for/that I do with other rifles so I ended up focusing on the Berger 135/133 with mine. All I remember is mine liked a LOT of jump with the 128HH to finally get it to settle in around .5-.75 MOA.

Honestly I gave up on the hammer monos with my 25SST. I know @lancetkenyon uses the 121HH with his with good results. I couldn't get the accuracy and speed I was hoping for/that I do with other rifles so I ended up focusing on the Berger 135/133 with mine. All I remember is mine liked a LOT of jump with the 128HH to finally get it to settle in around .5-.75 MOA.
Thank you. I'll look into the 121s.

I'm looking to do a 20" barrel so that is probably better.