The 25 sst...up and running

Thanks Rich this has been a fun one, if the wind dies down enough this evening I'm going to try the N570 load again and do some testing with some 67gr Shock Hammers I have out to 500 yards to see just how flat they will shoot. Those hammers are loaded up in Norma brass so Il only be shooting them a mild 4050 fps ;)

Here are some pics of the case after the 8th firing with 63.2gr of N570.

Man I'm discouraged to hear your round count to velocy drop and 3rd flyer is somewhat disheartening. Just goes to show rumors of better Sherman barrel life compared to conventional cases of similar capacity lacks merit. I have my 25sst at the smith getting chambered this week. My last proof barrel was super tight and had heavy ejector marks with all powders above 3100fps. Hopefully the new replacement pipe is a lil more on the loose side.

Man I'm discouraged to hear your round count to velocy drop and 3rd flyer is somewhat disheartening. Just goes to show rumors of better Sherman barrel life compared to conventional cases of similar capacity lacks merit. I have my 25sst at the smith getting chambered this week. My last proof barrel was super tight and had heavy ejector marks with all powders above 3100fps. Hopefully the new replacement pipe is a lil more on the loose side.
I think it shows he was running above 3200'!
Weve had 6.5 sst's run 2500 rounds and more with 140's at 3150'

Last edited:
I think it shows he was running near 3300'!:
Weve had 6.5 sst's run 2500 rounds and more with 140's at 3150'
Sounds like he was running 3160 with H1000 for majority of barrels life this far. Now that it's started to loose vel and accuracy(on its way out) decided to send it with N570 to test its accuracy.

Sounds like he was running 3160 with H1000 for majority of barrels life this far. Now that it's started to loose vel and accuracy(on its way out) decided to send it with N570 to test its accuracy.
That is more wear than I would have expected. Maybe initial testing with N570, etc. I don't know? Thats more than usual though.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated as you tinker with loads. It's my go to every time I ponder playing around with something different in my 25sst. You put a ton of time and information together here for the chambering. I'm super happy with my load of n565 with the blackjacks but I only ever played with retumbo with virgin brass and I'm kicking around a retest with it and rl-26 again now that it's all formed. And the barrel is broke in good. I'm in the neighborhood of 200 down mine I think. Haven't had time to shoot in forever it feels like.

Shot two 3 shot groups with 63.2grs of N570 again this evening 755 yards. This time at +.005" jump and +.010" wind was 3-5mph @ 9-11cl

With +.010" group the first 2 shots were 2.5" vertical then the last shot was my usual flyer now and opened the group up horizontally to 8" just over 1 moa.

With +.005" group the first 2 shots were 1.5" vertical then the last shot did the same and opened the group up horizontally to 8" also.

Really all I wanted to do today was see how many firings I could get on a single piece of brass with 63.2grs to get a better idea of what pressures that load was running at. Then I couldn't help but try a few groups just to see if I could get rid of that last shot flyer. But it replicates the pattern ive been seeing with H-1000. That with the velocity loss just tells me the barrel is slowly going south or is already there depending when an individual calls it quits on a barrel.

A few things I noticed was the n570 load had quite a bit more recoil than my h-1000 load. Another was that since I had raised the velocity with N570 it made bigger craters on my 3/4" mild steel plate than my old 338 EDGE IMP did sending 300gr bergers at 2800fps! And they were much bigger than the craters made by my 6.5ss sending 140 Berger H-VLDs at 3250fps.

highdrum, sorry to hear you had a bad proof it's seems to be getting more common since they have increased production. When I was still in business with my old partner I did load development on around 50 proof rifles or rifles with proof barrels in all cartridges and had maybe 1 or 2 issues where a 6.5 PRC chamber was to short and would just barely chamber virgin brass or factory ammo and some rounds it wouldn't chamber. We sent one back and they reamed out it a little more. The other one they said was still in spec but right on edge. It still might have been a problem if that guy had been using factory ammo but reloading we could push virgin shoulders back another .002" to make it work but you shouldn't have to do that on a $6000 rifle. My partner has done load development on maybe 250-300 proof rifles or rifles with proof barrels and he to only had 1 or 2 issues where he had to send the rifle or barrel back to them. We may have just been lucky because for a while it seemed to be a more common occurrence than it should have with other smiths. He got with proof a few months ago to have a conference call to let them know these issues were starting to occur more. They seemed to take it serious and I hoped they have fixed this. And I'm not knocking proof at all, my personal 6.5ss had a proof cf barrel and it was exceptionally accurate as well as was most of the rifles we worked on. Even my new 30Sherman Mag that should be here any day now has an proof cf on it. And whether it's barrels, high end scopes, or other rifle components when you start mass producing your going to have a bad one every now and then it's just part of it but that company needs to make it right and back up their product which proof does.

As far as my velocity drop I took a hard look just now back through all my notes and it looks like it's been shooting 3170fps the whole time for the most part until just recently when I noticed it hitting low and today I recorded it at 3133fps. Where I mentioned earlier about it dropping from 3220fps to 3170 around 950 rounds actually just looks like the temperature had dropped quite a bit from summer to fall. I shoot a lot in the summer and temps well over 100* are the norm then in hunting season you may be shooting in single digits. Another reason I really like the stability of H-1000 and N570.

As far as barrel life when I had this built I expected to get 800 rounds out of it before I started losing velocity and seeing fliers. So it exceeded my expectations. Although I don't doubt some guys getter better life out of their barrels every barrel is different to some extent it seems. I have some milder target cartridges that I just hammer rounds through, no F***S given, 50-70 rounds strings in 100*+ temps in 5min and one of them still looks in great condition even with a few thousands rounds through it. That being said I run mild loads in my target guns. Guys always want to know what their exact Bbl life will be with a given caliber which is an impossible answer to give accurately. I keep precise counts on my barrels to learn from it not because I care how fast or slow they burn out. There's better things to worry about but I am a little more conscious about it with my more powerful hunting cartridges. And I'm not directing that at you just speaking in general.
A while back when one of my friends got into LR shooting he shot out his 28 nos in 350-400rounds and was pretty upset about it at first and even claimed the barrel manufacture was using bad steel. I told him I was surprised he didn't shoot it out sooner shooting 5-10 strings out of a Sendero contour barrel running hot loads in 100* temps. By shot out I mean 3-4in groups at 100 yards.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated as you tinker with loads. It's my go to every time I ponder playing around with something different in my 25sst. You put a ton of time and information together here for the chambering. I'm super happy with my load of n565 with the blackjacks but I only ever played with retumbo with virgin brass and I'm kicking around a retest with it and rl-26 again now that it's all formed. And the barrel is broke in good. I'm in the neighborhood of 200 down mine I think. Haven't had time to shoot in forever it feels like.
Come on now Coues get out there and sling some lead with that thing. Your welcome glad your getting use out of this thread. If you ever need RL-26 data I broke in another's guys barrel on his 25SST then did load development with RL-26 and the 131ACE's for him. He's running them at 3270fps with a 26" Bartlein. May have another 25SST coming soon to that will be burning RL26 as well so Il have more data to compare.

Appreciate it and wish I could! I'm a mechanic and fabricator in the mining and exploration industry and with the current price of commodities and all of the kids we're hiring right out of high school that end up running the machines in a few months it's pretty hard to buy a day off... Had three days off last month and not looking good for this one either. My 25sst is my favorite and easiest to shoot rifle I own though.

I hear ya man sounds like a good trade. I'm about to go back to work myself but in the Oil field again. I tried making a living off just shooting guns all day but it just didn't pay what I needed. But I did have a lot of time to Travel, shoot, hunt, and fish my butt off haha!

Haha yeah I've worked here since '06 and it has its ups and downs. When I've got a hunt or plan a getaway, I just go do it. Not having a schedule is tough sometimes though. Should have a pretty good chance of drawing a premium archery elk tag this year here in AZ and you can bet they're not gonna see me for close to a month if I do! Course I haven't shot my bow in over a year...

Well I hope it all works out for ya just post us a good story and some decent pics. In September of 2019 I had been working my butt off and hadn't shot my bow in years. When I did go on my Elk hunt I only had time to shoot it a few hours the same night that we left for Colorado so I know where your coming from.
Take Care

Thanks, you too! I'll let you guys know how it works out if I give Retumbo or rl26 a whirl. I'll probably try and get some of the new bergers to try one of these days too.

@CA48 your data and revaluation is very thorough, I greatly appreciate all this information. I had hoped to run a node over 3200 in the 26" sst as my 25creed shoots very well @ 3040 from a 26" carbon rock creek barrel.
As far as your 3220 - 3170 speed shift, I have never observed that much drop with H1000 from temps, from 30 to 100° was maybe 20 fps, that appears odd to me, that's why everyone loves H1000 is the extreme temp stability, at least that's why I use it. Barrel is getting spun this week will have it in hand next week and I'll get things popping and see where it falls in it. Where have you found the 131 to like being jumped from in the sst chamber? 5k, 18k, and 32k are where I usually try first. The creed shoots very small 18k off.

Interesting in your findings of getting crunch with 63.5gr N570. I recently loaded some 156s - 30k in my adg prc brass, chamber has 240k freebore. I used a 16" drop tube and was getting crunch and compression over 61gr until I started using vibration to settle powder prior to seating. Was still getting the slightest crunch after that. This shows that the sst case is actually directly between the prc and saum capacity was. I also shoot a 6.5 max, I know I can get over 68gr N570 72gr Rl33 in that thing.

Last edited: