The .25-06 and .25-06 Improved By J.C. Munnell

ADMIN

Administrator
I have previously expressed my views as to the possible superiority of the various .25 caliber cartridges to those of one caliber less, and have fully expected to be severely taken to task, cursed at, ridiculed, pilloried, threatened with keelhauling, drawing and quartering, (not really necessary if the keelhauling is done correctly), and promised immediate excommunication from the Universal Church of True Believers in All Things Six Millimeter. That last one seemed o.k., but the others caused me at least momentary concern, since several of the stated acts threatened to end my shooting, hunting and writing careers, or at least cause a considerable delay in continuing with them. That such results have not transpired probably - in order of ascending probability: (a) reflects the innate correctness of my views, (b) reflects the vast open-mindedness of the readership, or (c) demonstrates that no one is reading my exceedingly erudite utterings. Nonetheless, here I am, once more testing the patience and understanding of the readers.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, The .25-06 and .25-06 Improved, By J.C. Munnell. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Great Article. Only thing I wish you would of added was info on the heavier bullets like the 117 SBT or the Berger 115 or Nosler 110 bullet. With the .25-06 being my main go to caliber since before Remington built them I have a terrible soft spot in my heart for the caliber and have been working with a new rifle over the last couple years in .25-06 AI it looks like I'm right there with you. :)
One thing I discovered early on was how great the .25-06 worked with the heavier bullets. Mine have done so well with them that I seldom tried anything else.
Again, great article.

A good informative article. I would like to know about the 25-06 as a 600 yd target load. A guy I know has a 600 yd range and I would like to have a gun to compete with him with out knocking my shoulder off. The 22s we shoot for varmits blow arround too much, the 243 works but I would like to try a 25 cal. Any information will be helpfull along with locating a gun and optics. I havn't read the article about fitting yet but it subject makes a lot of sense.

Bob

Thanks for the interesting article.

I've been shooting a 25-06 for 30 years so your preaching to the choir here but more good information is always good to read. I agree with "BillR" that the heavier builts are where I believe the 25-06 really comes into it's own. These longer bullets have very good coefficiencies, and the Nosler 115 Ballistic Tip hunting bullet is lately my favorite. And for Trapshooter, while I haven't shot mine a lot in the wind at 600 yards at paper targets, I have done it enough to see a major improvement over what happens to my 22-250 rounds at 600yds in the wind. However, my wish would be for Hornady, Nosler or Sierra to make a lighter-built 100gr varmint bullet with a ballistic tip.

I've always thought that an interesting 25 caliber cartridge that has very little following, is the 25-308 or 25 Souper. I shoot one years ago that my father-in-law had built up on a Mauser Action, and it really had some zip, though I didn't have a chrony in those days. It certainly should ballistically stand very near to the 25-06 in the 25-caliber line up, but should use a bit less powder.

I just ordered the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 25-06. Will be about 6wks delivery. I don't re-load so I'll be shooting factory loads, any suggestions?

As I am fairly new to LRH, what are the changes to the "Improved" loads? And a question for the Savage 111, does it have a custom barrel or is it the same as the varmit guns?

Great read! I have a Cooper M52 factory chambered in 25-06AI and have experimented a great deal with the heavier high BC bullets like the Berger 115gr VLD, and some custom offerings. The Berger flies great out of my rifle at 3330-3350fps and has some impressive drop charts. Nosler 115gr Btips were also very accurate, although I put them on the back shelf as the drops were not as great as the Berger, and some of the custom bullets. I would be in heaven if Berger would offer a higher BC bullet in the 125gr range.

I have to work on some lower weight loads and will look back to this article for inspiration.

I have a Remington Mod. 700 Varmint Special that I got in 1976. I shoot a 75 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet. The best powder that works in my gun is IMR 4831. I just use my 25-06 for shooting squirrels and coyotes. Coyotes don't spin or run off, they just drop dead in there tracks.

Great article! Thanks for all the info, I'll likely refer to that article many times over the years. Have been playing around with the .25-06 for some time in various rifles, but really got serious about hunting with it five or six years ago. In five years I've taken five mulies, as well as coyotes and rockchucks all with a standard Rem 700 CDL. Ranges on the mule deer were from 30 - 400 yards:

1e1841e8.jpg

da552040.jpg

mulie05A.jpg

The past three years I've used the 115 Berger VLD over Retumbo for 3200 fps from the 24" barrel. Prior to that I took a couple of bucks with the 100 gr Barnes TSX launched at 3340 fps from H4350. Both are good loads, accurate and lethal. The Barnes has some very impressive penetration, leading me to believe that it would work well even on much larger game such as elk.

I have not yet tried the .25-06 on mule deer beyond 400 yards, due to lack of opportunity. The Wyoming doe I shot last year at 400 yards dropped instantly, and I could tell no difference in the Berger VLD's performance at that range than at 175 or 230/240 yards, the ranges I shot two other mulies here in Washington State. On coyotes, it's sudden death. The combo of good velocity, light recoil, excellent accuracy and lethal results have made it a favorite of mine for sure!

All of my .25-06 loading is done on Wilson dies with an arbor press. Mostly I use good old Winchester brass and always match primers.

Started with a 4.5-14x scope on the rifle, but soon moved to a fixed 6x Leupold, which has served well on the rifle for my purposes. Excellent in low light.

Again, thanks for the great article! Regards, Guy

Last edited:
The story of the 30 yard buck has some humor:

In '07 I'd suffered some injuries and had just gotten through surgery. I also had a non-resident mule deer tag for Wyoming, but my outfitter went out of business. I was in no shape for a backcountry hunt. Some wonderful people stepped up and offered to let me hunt their property. I gladly accepted!

On the morning of the hunt I was sipping coffee in their home talking, when a young, tall-racked 4x4 walked by outside the house, along with a few other deer. I gulped, but didn't get too excited and off we went to do some chores and such in town. After lunch we returned to the property, where my host and I climbed up into his hay stack. He had arranged a blind of sorts atop the stack with the hay bales.

I spent a fair bit of time glassing a large, mature 4x4 that was at about 440 yards, but just the other side of the property line. Didn't have permission to take a mulie on the neighboring property, so I was waiting patiently... Had the 100 gr Barnes TSX sighted in at 300 yards.

While I was glassing the bigger buck intently, my newfound friend put down his coffee and asked "You remember that tall 4x4 we saw this morning?" I admitted that yes I did. "Well, he's right behind you." Not quite understanding what "right behind" meant, I turned and there he was a mere 30 yards from the hay bales, completely unaware of our presence.

Not one to look a gift mulie in the mouth - I shot him. Down he went instantly. The Barnes did it's job and penetrated through, pretty much destroying the heart.
Wyobuck02.jpg

I'm forever grateful to the kind people who let a banged-up fellow hunt their property. Saved my hunt that year. Did think it was pretty funny that I had this terrific 300 - 400 yard rifle, plans for a horse-pack hunting trip into the Wilderness, and ended up taking that particular buck at 30 yards from a haystack...

Regards, Guy

Great article. I inherited a 25-06 from my dad and have been playing with differnet loads for over year. I've found that H-4350 & Speer 87grn TNTs are just simply a magic combination.

I have also tried the Hornady 117 SPBTs with H4350 with good luck. Many load books and forums state that H-4831 or RL22 are accurate powders in the 25-06 but none of them worked for me.

J

The 25-06 has been a favorite of mine for several years. Sadly mine has not taken any big game as I have only drawn one rifle tag since I bought it 5 years ago. My wife and I drew so I let her hunt with it and I used another rifle. However I have taken several coyotes with it. One of those coyotes was the most impressive shots of my hunting career to date. We called him in and circumstances allowed him to get behind us. Knowing that the terrain opened up behind us with a large bald hill, my brother and I stood up and waited for him to be exposed on it. My brother missed about a 70 yard trotting shot. This wound him up to max speed. This coyote was packin the mail. I drew down on him. I kid you not when I tell you that I gave this dog a 2 foot lead. I mashed the trigger and recoil took me off of him. I looked at my brother and his eyes were the size of silver dollars. He was just preparing to pull the trigger for a second time when the my 06 barked and the dog disappeared out of his sight picture. We ranged this coyote from where I had been standing and drew a reading of 197 Yards. When we found him I had hit this coyote right in the ham. We couldn't believe that I had hit him that far back after leading him 2 feet.

I am shooting Barnes 100 grn TSX at 3257 fps and they will shoot well under MOA at 100 yards. This gun has proven itself to me on several occasions but, none more dramatic than this coyote hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.