The 1st thing when building a load.....

He's been to the Hide, got his clock cleaned out over there as well. Curious that the Hide thread started a little different than here. "So far only proven with .223 rifles... I'm not going to lie," the Hide thread is verbatim except this line which was omitted here. Also the little true or false tantrum is there, WOW!

All of this is clearly documented, but nobody ever put it together before.

LOL!

Someone suggested a post on this same topic; but your hubris hasn't allowed you to read past the first few words of any comment to you, so you missed it.

Wonder how many bench rest titles the OP has. because I know of at least two loads that have one a 1000 yard bench rest competition with the ogave sitting .20 off the lands. Out of an "inaccurate" "old technology" .300 win mag.

A .010 group eh. More likely the target was hit once and then missed the paper completely on the subsequent shots. Or a "group" is one shot. :D

Not to feed a bear, but whatever was done in 'competition' last week, or next, is really irrelevant to truth or false, right or wrong.
Competition is an abstract compilation of many factors(sometimes local).

Think about it. 40yrs from now when 1kyd grouping is commonly 1/4moa(way better than twice what it is now), shooters could look back, read back, and clearly see a few misbeliefs that held us back.
They might also notice that when we did improve, it was the efforts of someone thinking out of the box that caused it.

I like that the OP is thinking for himself.
He should consider that truths must be tested, and pass ALL tests, before they are.
And with this, he might figure out something every one of us missed.

I don't think B-RAD's post is totally without merit. I personally prefer to to pick a seating depth then adjust the load instead of picking a load and adjusting the depth. I just don't think .005" is the magic number for every load.

That Is how I do my hunting loads. Sometimes when I'm shooting bugholes(or trying to:) ) I find the optimum powder charge first then fiddle with seating depth.

I can't tell if the orig post is a joke designed to annoy. Seating depth is huge but .005 off is not the holy grail of reloading. Now .005 in that's a different storygun):)

lol, this has turned into a crazy thread..

My point has been missed it seems...... All I'm saying is measure your seating depth FIRST, .001" off the lands is perfect I'd say. Then shoot your loads, do you business whatever you feel like doing I don't really care, once you find a good load, load it within .1-.2gr of your good powder load to further dial it in. then change your primer, see what happens, ok maybe a little better, and then change your brass to another brand and see what happens(example LC to Rem brass), more than likely after all the other scenarios (money not an option) you will find the best load your gun can shoot, because you have taken out the variable of bullet run-out (assuming you use quality products)

Really tho, this is completely a joke... :D

That Is how I do my hunting loads. Sometimes when I'm shooting bugholes(or trying to:) ) I find the optimum powder charge first then fiddle with seating depth.
+1 OCW then seating depth. I run through the OCW test with My .300 win touching the lands. So far with the ogave kissing the lands and large rifle not magnum primers gives excellent results at 100 yards but since I'm developing a load to used at 1500 yards ill do the fine tuning at 300.

Ok, New guy here. I've reloaded for almost 2 years. I don't know it all. I have a 6.5x284 Xp100, To put my bullet touching the lands, I have .098 of bullet in the case. Even backing the bullet .015 off the lands, my bullet is still very unstable in the case. My barrel likes to be .200+ of the lands.
Now what?

chuck m

Ok, New guy here. I've reloaded for almost 2 years. I don't know it all. I have a 6.5x284 Xp100, To put my bullet touching the lands, I have .098 of bullet in the case. Even backing the bullet .015 off the lands, my bullet is still very unstable in the case. My barrel likes to be .200+ of the lands.
Now what?

chuck m
Most BR guys who use the 6.5 seat the bullets deep in the case. Magnums seem to like to be seated close to the lands smaller cartridges like to be seated off as a generalization. i think seating depth has a lot more to do with characteristics of the powder you are using and sectional density/bullet design. Who knows and I for one arent willing to wear my barrel out to figure it out. I shove in the lands find my OCW and tune the charge a .1 increments and push back .4 in .1 increments on the lands. If you cant find a one hole group out of that you need a better rifle/shooter.

You all are just telling me what you were taught. Meaning you were told to do something because you can't think for yourself... I've given you all the information you need to base your decision off of. Instead you all just say... well it works sometimes because it just works, we don't really know... I JUST TOLD YOU HOW IT WORKS!!! As long range shooters you should be more worried about bullet yaw than anybody.

I'm just wasting my typing as none of you want to break the mold and do it right the first time.... Your all sheep I tell ya!

BS, 60,000 PSI quickly corrects bullet yaw! Yaw will come from the SG and rpm issues not seating depth. Now that has been proven by the ballisticians and shooting labs time and time again.

FYI just got done testing loads for my new 1k competition light gun this afternoon and fine tuning seating depth. THIS 300 WSM likes the Hornday 208 BTHP about .020 INTO the lands (from touching). Ran them all the way from .040 in (jam) to about .080 off.

Now that is really how it works!

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.