The “It’s just a hunting rifle” Saying Bugs Me

I like to learn from hunting forums so read a lot and post less. It doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks about my guns, bullets, scope, whether it has an exit hole or not, how far the animal runs, where I hunt, how far I shoot, animals I kill/wound/chase.

I would want my hunting rifle be able to shoot out to 1000 yards accurately but I'd never shoot at that range and risk wounding the animal.

It's just a hunting rifle phrase I think of it more as a beater but a very reliable rifle. Not as a cheap short range junkie rifle.. Context of the phrase usage is very important..

"just a hunting rifle" doesn't bother me at all. Hunting used to be a blue collar every man's activity. Today, it's really gotten money driven from tags, to clothing, to firearms. The guy in Colorado wearing jeans and hickory shirt with a red pad Ruger M77 30-06 with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope is laughed at. Scoffed. When did we get to this place in hunting? I met a guy last year with his hunting partners wearing holey wranglers, an old tattered carhartt vest with a pack frame and I asked him, why he wasn't carrying a rifle? He said well I couldn't afford the tag this year, but I'll be ready next year. This was a resident! Tag cost to him was $49. My Sitka gloves cost that much. Made me feel like dirt! His partners had rifles. One was a Remington 760 30-06 with a 4x Weaver scope and the other was a Savage 110 in 270 with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. We talked about elk for 30 minutes and they explained to me how they always tag out in this zone but it is getting harder and harder with the non-residents, ranching for wildlife and all the big money trespassing fees making land less available to them. These guys all had "just hunting rifles" and they looked at the ground when I said "what are you shootin pardner?" and he replied just my grandads ol huntin rifle...I said man that 760 is a classic and he perked up looking me in the eyes now and said you have one? I said I didn't but my best friend that was killed in Afghanistan did and I always wanted to ask his parents for it. He smiled and said yeah this old gun has killed a bunch of elk. Not a doubt in my mind I replied. Long story long, and finally getting to my point, there's nothing wrong with just a hunting rifle. We are pushing some hunters away and making them feel inadequate with the new age hunting standard. Those guys needed those tags, relied on that meat for their families and were all working together to get an elk. Not because of enjoyment, but out of necessity. Really put things in perspective for me. At the end of our conversation I said hey I really appreciate the scouting advice and I want to pay you for it. I offered the guy $40 bucks that didn't have a tag and said now go buy your elk tag. He said No you're sh#%#ing me? Seriously I want to see you hunting tomorrow. He said he would go get it as soon as he got back to Craig. It was an OTC zone and residents get to hunt all month if they don't fill their bull tags apparently. Felt good. I never saw them again, but hope they filled their freezers with those old hunting rifles.
Excellent post very very well said

I honestly want some feedback from you ladies and gents to see if I'm the only one that feels this way.

It really bugs me to hear/read the saying "It's only for hunting" or something similar. I see this a lot when people are talking about optics, rifles, and accuracy. It seems to me that because something is used for hunting, there is a lower standard for degree of precision than say a PRS style match or shooting steel long range. Now, let me be clear I understand that someone shooting deer out to 200 yards does not require a 0.25 MOA rifle, in fact a consistent 2 MOA is probably fine (although I wouldn't go any bigger). However, this forum is called long range hunting and that is what a lot of us like to do here.

Now, I love the sport of hunting. I know I am doing good for conservation and I love the meat that comes from it. But, to be honest, the actual moment of the kill is my least favorite of the entire process. You can call me soft or whatever, but, I get emotional every single time I take an animals life and I feel terrible if an animal has to suffer any longer than it should. therefore, I require a much greater degree of precision out of my hunting equipment than I do with my plinking equipment.

If I miss a piece of steel at 1000 yards and lose a $100-500 dollar check because I lost a match, sure I'll be upset, but I'll get 'em next time! If I miss a piece of steel out plinking, jack another one in and let it fly. But, what if I shoot an elk in the guts at 600 yards and the thing runs for two miles, dies 16 hours later and goes to waste because I couldn't find it? Shame on me, that's what. I understand that an event like this is part of hunting and sometimes crap like that happens. But, if it happens because I required a lower degree of precision because it's "just a hunting rifle" I have completely failed at my duty of being a humane hunter and conservationist.

I am sorry to go an a rant. I would love to hear your opinions. No offense will be taken if you feel I am wrong.

John
Go watch a master carpenter...he uses old familiar tools that he knows, fits his hands and knows how mend and repair. He doesn't lend his tools, damage them or toss them at the job site. The result of 2 becoming one is awesome. Just like a "hunting rifle". Old, familiar and an extension of the user. The result is just as awesome. My answer is putting wild animals down and in the freezer is "better my bullet than to be eaten alive". My job is to do it as quick as possible.

I think it depends on how it is interpreted. Sometimes it just means because it got dirty, scratched, or ding, it's just a hunting rifle and was bought/built for that. I know a lot of people on here would hate to have any of those happen to their setup. Just because the person is ok with that happening doesn't mean they don't take their shooting seriously. To some people it's just a gun that they use for hunting, lots of time these people are the same ones that buy the cheapest ammo to shoot also. These are two ends of the spectrum, so it depends on what context it is being used depends on if it bugs me or not.

I know not retrieving an animal sucks. You may not get to utilize it, but the bears, coyotes, birds, etc. get an easier meal. Just another way to look at it.

idcwby

I agree with you with my thoughts on, "It's just a hunting rifle", meaning that if it gets dinged or scratched it's okay with me. I always try to get the most accurate, best scope, best "hunting" rifle that I can possibly afford. I took my latest build on a whitetail deer hunt this past week, the stock looks like a piece of glass as does the bluing; like a Browning. It got dinged getting in and out of the stand, and also was getting whacked by the guy who I was hunting with while in the truck between stands. I was getting a bit annoyed with the guy and had to remind myself that "It's a hunting rifle and it's going to get dinged", that took care of the annoying part for me; but, I still wanted to smack him!! Also that doesn't mean the rifle is a piece of junk, it means that it is expected or accepted that it will get scratched or dinged and that the rifle will not continue to look like a "safe queen" after a hunting trip.

I agree with you with my thoughts on, "It's just a hunting rifle", meaning that if it gets dinged or scratched it's okay with me. I always try to get the most accurate, best scope, best "hunting" rifle that I can possibly afford. I took my latest build on a whitetail deer hunt this past week, the stock looks like a piece of glass as does the bluing; like a Browning. It got dinged getting in and out of the stand, and also was getting whacked by the guy who I was hunting with while in the truck between stands. I was getting a bit annoyed with the guy and had to remind myself that "It's a hunting rifle and it's going to get dinged", that took care of the annoying part for me; but, I still wanted to smack him!! Also that doesn't mean the rifle is a piece of junk, it means that it is expected or accepted that it will get scratched or dinged and that the rifle will not continue to look like a "safe queen" after a hunting trip.
Used and abused are quite different. I have no use for ****** attitudes regarding equipment whether it's a rifle or a coiled tubing unit. You need your tools, you respect your tools.

The good old hunting rifle idea is changing,,, well maybe it's the wording we use now days...

A look at the custom builds showing up is crazy,,, barrels of top quality,,, the premier of triggers and optics little lone all the high tech rifle stock choices...

I bet there are 2 X's as many custom rifle stocks to every barrel out there...

Even the factory rifles from the box stores have seen some up grades,,, one would think it improves the handling for that person,,, even if its for that close up shot...

The MOA idea normally comes into play when distance shows up,,, this would be my guess on why hunting rifle and target get mixed up...

Purhaps its the shooter...

Some folks rock that category,,, seriously,,, those individuals can grab X hunting rifle and shoot lights out with it like nothing,,,.I'm in the mix of some pretty smooth shoorers,,, I'm far from that category...

Maybe this is where it comes from...

Cheers from the North

In my opinion there are distinct differences between a"Hunting Rifle" and a "Long range hunting rifle" The long range hunting has taken on more of the target rifle features so it is easy to tell the difference. And the requirements for the traditional hunting rifle are far less demanding. So when I hear some of these boast, I look at the rifle and know if it is truly a hunting rifle or a long range hunting /target rifle Most of the time I am un impressed with the shot. some seem to think that the more money they spend automatically makes it a better performer, and especially when it is the newest designer cartridge.

Now If I were to see a 30-30 make a 1000 yard shot, I would be impressed as long as it was on paper.

Most deer hunters only require a 1 to 2 MOA rifle. Others like myself require a 1/2 MOA or better for the same purpose. But to hunt consistently 600 yards + there are many different requirements and even though it will do this, If it is a designated hunting rifle I would still call a hunting rifle although not the average hunting rifle.

I personally don't care if a person wants to call his rifle a hunting rifle as long as it will consistently perform at the need level for the game and distance. If he chooses to use a rifle that is not up to the task. That is not the rifles fault or what you call it.

No need to get upset, just consider the source

Just saying

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.